Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @98.13 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 902.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | | |-+  Obscure movies?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Obscure movies?  (Read 219 times)
Tommie ΘΔ
Jr. Member ⚓︎

It's not gay if it's the floor...

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: anchorgutz
PicMix: brynnstic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: July 02, 2024 @765.20 »

Looking for some obscure films to obsess over in my free time. They can be of any genre really, since I'd love to see what movies you guys like!! Drop some suggestions in the replies and I'd love to check it out :transport:

Short films are welcome too!! Especially if you worked on it yourself :dog:

Last night I drove to Harper's Ferry and I thought about you...
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024 @921.42 »

Not sure which of these can be considered as obscure.

The illusion travels by streetcar - Early Bunuel movie. Two workers steal a street car and cruise with it through the night.

The Brutalization of Franz Blum - A young inmate is corrupted by the jail system, becoming a representation of the outer system.

City of Lost Souls - Trans & Drag-musical by Rosa von Praunheim.

Narcissus and Psyche - A hungarian experimental/history drama mashup.

As I was moving ahead, eventually I saw brief glimpses of happiness - Monumental work by experimental director Jonas Mekkas. Even though his name isn't unknown, few might have seen this thing completely.

Nachrichten aus der ideologischen Antike - Experimental documentation about an attempt of Eisenstein to turn "The Capital" into a movie.

Also, I strongly recommend a small movie clip that can be found about the attempt of Pierre Pasolini to create his famous flick "The Gospel According to Matthew" on original location in Palestine.

---------
Is this the level you wanted, or would be a bit more popular also okay?

fairything
Casual Poster ⚓︎

they/them

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024 @35.52 »

iunno how obscure any of these are, but check 'em out and see what you think  :dive: if you want i can also hunt down more.

in reverse chronological order:

puppy (2007) is a great start to this list because my friend literally just found it one day, could find NO information about it online, and upon watching it decided the gospel had to be spread. absolutely unhinged indie horror(???) about an evil puppy. egregious sound effects and unintentionally hilarious character dialogue make this a hidden "so bad it's good" gem.

jesus christ vampire hunter (2001) is precisely what it sounds like. UTTERLY unhinged. more lesbians than expected.

the gleaners and i (2000) was my introduction to agnes varda so i'm biased but it's this really lovely pensive documentary about, well, gleaning.

hello mary lou: prom night ii (1987) has no relation to the first apparently, and is just this really silly campy horror flick my friends and i watched together one night--so i'm fond of it.

parting glances (1986) is a gay dramedy with snappy dialogue and steve buscemi as a twink. need i say more

son of the white mare (1981) is this utterly gorgeous and surreal animated film about hungarian legends

lisztomania (1975) is... it's hard to describe. campy? bonkers? has one really weird violent antisemitic scene come out of nowhere? but hey, ringo starr makes a cameo.

phantom of the paradise (1974) is rocky horror's weirder, gother sister imo. it's a mix of phantom of the opera, faust, and the picture of dorian grey, all set to an absolutely delightful soundtrack.

the boys in the band (1970) is an adaptation of the play of the same name, and i just love it as a snapshot of queer culture at the time as well as for its fun dialogue and fascinating ensemble cast.

funeral parade of roses (1969) is a trippy queer japanese oedipus flick if thatdoes anything for ya!

black lizard (1968) is another queer japanese flick, this one with heists and car chases and camp galore!

filibus (1915) is a weird italian silent heist with crossdressing included

neocities
a laugh can be a very powerful thing. why, sometimes, it's the only weapon we have.

Dibs
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Save the cheerleader, save the world!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024 @704.03 »

I've been going through Keanu Reeves' filmography with my friends and the less-known highlights (not a clue how obscure they actually are) are: My Own Private Idaho (1991, a gay, loose adaptation of several Shakespeare plays featuring weird auteur filmmaking and a surprise roadtrip), Johnny Mnemonic (1995, based on the short story by the father of cyberpunk, William Gibson, overall bad but fun schlock) (the Japanese cut is shorter, slightly more coherent, and available on youtube if you want to try that), and The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008, would recommend also watching the 1951 version for comparison of the preoccupations of each period; scifi alien roadtrip, technomancy, and Gort).

Clear Skies!
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2024 @744.05 »

I've been going through Keanu Reeves' filmography with my friends and the less-known highlights (not a clue how obscure they actually are) are: My Own Private Idaho (1991, a gay, loose adaptation of several Shakespeare plays featuring weird auteur filmmaking and a surprise roadtrip.

This is a great one. It is actually based on an interpretation of a Shakespear play done by Orson Wells ("The Bells that chime at midnight").

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Old French Animated Sci-fi Movies

Started by DojidaveBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 5
Views: 2017
Last post October 22, 2022 @478.83
by PineTree
/home/user/'s Obscure Song of the Day

Started by MemoryBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 7
Views: 1527
Last post March 23, 2023 @493.16
by Memory
Movies you only liked after giving a second chance

Started by MemoryBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 1
Views: 913
Last post October 09, 2022 @831.09
by Memory

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi