Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 22, 2024 - @477.81 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 32/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 523.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  Changes to CSS files won't be applied when I click "Save" on neocities

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Changes to CSS files won't be applied when I click "Save" on neocities  (Read 381 times)
Bumperdog
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« on: June 11, 2024 @831.67 »

Hello everyone, I have a serious issued with neocities an I'm not sure I am the only one experiencing this problem. But when ever I update a .css (like typing in new formatted text) file by clicking save it never actually updates the file itself.

Now this issue can be fixed but I don't like that it keeps happening. So I would like to know how to stop it persisting.

How to currently fix it temporary.
  • One way to fix it is to delete some text formatting and click save and undo it and click save again to fix the bug with the new formatted text.
  • Apparently just discovered this now while typing this, I guess you can open the page being edited in a new browser window and the changes will apply. I just restarted the page while viewing the .css and the changes applied.

If anyone has similar issue please let me know and tell me if there's a way to stop it from persisting.
dirtnap

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024 @837.13 »

just to rule out the really obvious possibility...are you sure the actual css file is not updating? when you view the file as text in your browser (by going to yoursite/filename.css ), are the changes you made absent?

do you know how to hard-refresh? hold the left control (ctrl) key and, still holding ctrl down, press f5.

if you hard-refresh the page your css changes should apply to, do they apply?

is it possible for you to save the css file locally, make changes and save it locally (such as in notepad), and then upload that file to neocities, replacing the old one?

no js no shoes no problem
Bumperdog
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024 @853.59 »

when you view the file as text in your browser (by going to yoursite/filename.css ), are the changes you made absent?

Yes the changes are made are absent, I have a feeling it has something to do with cache because when I do it in a separate tab it works.

is it possible for you to save the css file locally, make changes and save it locally (such as in notepad), and then upload that file to neocities, replacing the old one?

I certainly could make the conscious decision if I felt like but I don't because it feels really tedious to do it over and over as I tend to make changes constantly with very few changes to my html/css and it would seem just ridiculous and unnecessary to have to do that when I should try and solve the issue from repeating. And there's also the possibility that it won't work as uploading a new file with the same name will just continue the issue repeating. I heard people complain about other issues such as images not updating when replacing the file with the same name and I am encountering this on Melonland everyone area where I replaced a texture with the same URL link and it did not change the image.
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024 @863.01 »

Neocities is just Like That sometimes. Give it time, hard refresh every so often, etc. It's a common-ish issue.

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024 @903.94 »

Hello everyone, I have a serious issued with neocities an I'm not sure I am the only one experiencing this problem. But when ever I update a .css (like typing in new formatted text) file by clicking save it never actually updates the file itself.

Now this issue can be fixed but I don't like that it keeps happening. So I would like to know how to stop it persisting.

How to currently fix it temporary.
  • One way to fix it is to delete some text formatting and click save and undo it and click save again to fix the bug with the new formatted text.
  • Apparently just discovered this now while typing this, I guess you can open the page being edited in a new browser window and the changes will apply. I just restarted the page while viewing the .css and the changes applied.

If anyone has similar issue please let me know and tell me if there's a way to stop it from persisting.

Oh i know how to fix that. Just click the button that opens up the CSS file itself on another tab, reload that tab, and boom, your changes will appear

Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024 @8.02 »

I think your questions already been answered, BUT something that tends to happen, at least to me, is that whenever my cache gets to full, the Neocities editor tends to just up and not save my changes :C, it happens, but clearing your cache isn't the worst thing in the world  to do in order to resolve the issue.

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
Kissasta
Newbie ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2024 @265.97 »

I was having a similar problem for a bit. I ended up deleting the css file and the page wouldnt update until I changed the link target to another css (Thumbnail did show it updating though) strangely, when I remade the css file with the same name and re-linked it to the effected page, it would use the previously deleted css file's code? I think my browser (OperaGX) was having some issues with the cache. When I renamed it to a different name seems to have fixed the problem.  :ohdear:

^( o_o)v
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I need help with neocities

Started by Kane VirkutisBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1752
Last post February 25, 2022 @609.50
by Melooon
Where are IPFS backups on Neocities? ANSWERED!

Started by ellievoyydBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 3
Views: 2153
Last post March 17, 2022 @162.86
by PAINTKILLER
Neocities on Polygon!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 9
Views: 2409
Last post June 18, 2023 @827.12
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi