This zone is sleeping right now! ZzzZZzzz

Better not disturb it! ~You go to the petrol station and buy a slushy instead, everything is cool!~

This area will open again in 000.beats!

(Learn about Swatch Time)

Some other zones are awake :^]


Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 28 Sep 2026 - @872.75
Forum Activity: Two Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: It's the silly things you'll remember :trash: Guild Events: Halloween Watch-a-thon
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Moon Park
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ MelonLand Info & Questions
| | |-+  My nitpicks about this forum (and how it can rectified)


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: My nitpicks about this forum (and how it can rectified)  (Read 1578 times)
GlitchyZorua
Sr. Member
****
View Profile WWW


existing
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Great Posts Pacmanzoru gameboy dudeGlitched Away From SinnohJoined 2024!
« on: Summer, 10 Aug 2024 @917 » Embed

1. Beat time

I like the idea of Beat time, don't get me wrong! It's just that I sometimes wish I could just hover over the little beat time thingy to show the full orginal time layout (preferably 12 hours, though 24 hours is fine), if i wish to see it.

Solution: Show the full time (HH:MM:SS) when the user hovers over the swatch time.
after looking in the "Look and layout" options, I was able to change the layout of the date and time. So this nitpick is invalid

2. IP addresses shown on the bottom right of the forum.

although it can only seen by the mods and, well, the user who posted a message, I think it should be obvious that we should keep those little number on the bottom right hidden at all times. Regardless if I own the account or not, because what if I screenshotted a thing posted and accidentally showed my ip address? Yikes. If I want to see my ip address in case I'm really curious, I would open the settings app on my phone, look in the Wi-Fi options, and then view my router information. Or Alternatively, I could just search "what is my ip address" on Google or something, and would show me that information from there.

Remember that one time when a video game called "Averengers Superheros" accidentally released an update that had a string of text on the bottom that showed the users IP address? Yeah, that.. wasn't fun.

Source: https://kotaku.com/marvel-s-avengers-update-leaks-your-ip-address-1847150150


Solution: Hide the users IP address. Even if they can only see it, and no one else, the mods should only see them.



3. Forum being closed on Monday's

I don't doubt that everyone needs to take breaks some times, especially when you are moderating a forum, and I do love the idea where the forum gets closed on every Monday, but... I think we shouldn't prevent the users from accessing the forum, rather, then just making the forum read-only.

Additionally, Someone can just look through archive.org, or even archive.is, or even the classic, right-click, save as page to completely bypass the Monday Brick Wall(tm).

Solution: Just preventing users from posting (or from logging in) because it's Monday should be enough.


« Last Edit: Summer, 10 Aug 2024 @942 by GlitchyZorua » Logged

With loves and hugs, GlitchyZorua

http://internetometer.com/image/50041.png
candycanearter07
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


i like slimes
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!it's tbhchansey!Goomy, I Choose You!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy Cane
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 10 Aug 2024 @928 » Toggle Font Embed

1. Beat time

I like the idea of Beat time, don't get me wrong! It's just that I sometimes wish I could just hover over the little beat time thingy to show the full orginal time layout (preferably 12 hours, though 24 hours is fine), if i wish to see it.

Solution: Show the full time (HH:MM:SS) when the user hovers over the swatch time.

2. IP addresses shown on the bottom right of the forum.

although it can only seen by the mods and, well, the user who posted a message, I think it should be obvious that we should keep those little number on the bottom right hidden at all times. Regardless if I own the account or not, because what if I screenshotted a thing posted and accidentally showed my ip address? Yikes. If I want to see my ip address in case I'm really curious, I would open the settings app on my phone, look in the Wi-Fi options, and then view my router information. Or Alternatively, I could just search "what is my ip address" on Google or something, and would show me that information from there.

Remember that one time when a video game called "Averengers Superheros" accidentally released an update that had a string of text on the bottom that showed the users IP address? Yeah, that.. wasn't fun.

Source: https://kotaku.com/marvel-s-avengers-update-leaks-your-ip-address-1847150150


Solution: Hide the users IP address. Even if they can only see it, and no one else, the mods should only see them.



3. Forum being closed on Monday's

I don't doubt that everyone needs to take breaks some times, especially when you are moderating a forum, and I do love the idea where the forum gets closed on every Monday, but... I think we shouldn't prevent the users from accessing the forum, rather, then just making the forum read-only.

Additionally, Someone can just look through archive.org, or even archive.is, or even the classic, right-click, save as page to completely bypass the Monday Brick Wall(tm).

Solution: Just preventing users from posting (or from logging in) because it's Monday should be enough.



For the first one, you actually can set the display format manually! From your profile page, go to Look and Layout and there should be a Time Format option. I personally use %Y %a %b %d %@ (%H:%M).

Third one I agree with mostly because theres a bunch of wiki links that go to forums and it is so frustrating when I can't access them because of the forum lockdown.

(also i think? you can bypass the brick by turning off js?)

Logged

new to oldnet be nice
https://status.cafe/users/candycanearter/badge.png https://abslimeware.neocities.org/assets/images/blinkers/penguins.gif

https://abslimeware.neocities.org/assets/images/blinkers/slimebounce.gif https://card.exophase.com/2/0/268504.png?1727352149

https://i.imgur.com/S1cx8ZZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/7ntZZGM.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/xKIpW2A.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

Artifact Swap: buzzystickerSootBlob Creature
GlitchyZorua
Sr. Member
****
View Profile WWW


existing
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Great Posts Pacmanzoru gameboy dudeGlitched Away From SinnohJoined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 10 Aug 2024 @933 » Embed

1. Oop- I didn't know that. Lemme check in the forum options to see if that's true
2. I think after disable js, it didn't... do anything.

Logged

With loves and hugs, GlitchyZorua

http://internetometer.com/image/50041.png
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #3 on: Summer, 10 Aug 2024 @940 » Toggle Font Embed

Thanks for the feedback, I have strong opinions about the forum, so I appreciate it when others have strong opinions too :ozwomp:

IP addresses shown on the bottom right of the forum.
I'm not actually sure what the logic of including IPs in was for the original forum designers; I don't think they even include option to turn it off anywhere ~ My guess is that its so you can verify that your posts were made from a location you trust? Its an interesting bit of design legacy because its about giving the user power over information rather than taking away info and assuming they will not know how to keep themselves safe. I'm not sure how I feel about participating in the corporate process of dumbing down technology, but I also see your point.

Forum being closed on Monday's
There are other threads to debate this one! https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=2492.0

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillThe Wizards OrbRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
GlitchyZorua
Sr. Member
****
View Profile WWW


existing
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Great Posts Pacmanzoru gameboy dudeGlitched Away From SinnohJoined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: Summer, 10 Aug 2024 @957 » Embed

Thanks for the feedback, I have strong opinions about the forum, so I appreciate it when others have strong opinions too :ozwomp:
I'm not actually sure what the logic of including IPs in was for the original forum designers; I don't think they even include option to turn it off anywhere ~ My guess is that its so you can verify that your posts were made from a location you trust? Its an interesting bit of design legacy because its about giving the user power over information rather than taking away info and assuming they will not know how to keep themselves safe. I'm not sure how I feel about participating in the corporate process of dumbing down technology, but I also see your point.
There are other threads to debate this one! https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=2492.0

It is a pleasure to have you here!

After sifting through the forum options, i found some more nit picks.


I really wish there were helpful tool-tips on what each option do.

Since they lack the info on what each option does.

https://u.cubeupload.com/GlitchyZorua/Screenshot2024081014.jpg

Logged

With loves and hugs, GlitchyZorua

http://internetometer.com/image/50041.png
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
FragBait313
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe