Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @405.31 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :eyes: ~ Inconvenience is counterculture ~ :eyes:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Opinions on site generators (carrd, hugo, etc.)

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Opinions on site generators (carrd, hugo, etc.)  (Read 1411 times)
Sorcer
Casual Poster ⚓︎

:)

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2024 @29.00 »

I see a lot of people on social media who just use something like Carrd or StrawPage to make a simple companion page to their profile, and I think there's no shame in that. They can be cute! Before I decided to go into Neocities, I wanted to take that route, but none of the Carrds I ever made saved properly for some reason. At this point, however, I see how many more possibilities open up when you code your own site and run it as more of its own thing, even if I still haven't fully wrapped my head around how to do it myself. Again, no shame on those who don't feel the need to make something more complicated than a generator/builder would allow, we all engage with the web in our own ways.

rhenn
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: rhenn

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2024 @78.97 »

I personally use Hugo to build my site - I wouldn't put SSGs on the same level of Carrd/others for being template-driven though. I built my site template from scratch rather than using one from their template library; I like being able to build little modular snippets and put them together :> You can also make different css and 'template' files for different parts of your site, so there's still a lot of room for creativity!

I also don't really like fiddling with javascript lol so it simplifies things when I'm e.g. keeping my navbar consistent. I like seeing purely handcrafted sites but personally I get overwhelmed when my projects get too big :ohdear:

I think Carrd is probably good for things like artist portfolios & sharing social media links; it's good for people who don't want to do any coding but want to provide that kind of information.

Semper
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Lurking and learning

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: semper

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2024 @135.10 »

I think SSG sites are really neat! They are among my favourite ones to visit, even though I don't personally feel inclined to build my site using a SSG. I'm just a weirdo that I enjoys tedium and continually touching and tweaking the code in my site. I like putting on a long video essay or a podcast on a quiet evening and do some housekeeping.

I like how responsive and clear a lot of SSG personal websites are and I have seen people do some really neat things with those generators. I don't think anyone has tried to gatekeep SSGs from the Web Revival or IndieWeb communities, at least I haven't witnessed it. I think if anyone has it's a very silly stance to take. The same goes for gatekeeping carrd or drag and drop site builders. I think most powerful aspect of having your own website is if you have had a hand in making it unique (even with templates), if what is shared on it is not dependant on any particular platform's social feed for attracting attention, and the most important (which I understand not everyone can manage) is having your own custom URL. This can be achieved even with a SSG.

Here are some SSG personal sites that I really like

Lost Letters

Frills

Nenrikido

There's also a webring for SSGs hosted on Neocities

NeoSSG

I would say that SSGs are a good bridge for the gap between drag and drop builders like Weebly and Squarespace and hand coding one's own site. We should definitely embrace tools that make it easier for people to have more control over their experiences on the internet.

:dive:

Feel free to climb the tree
Capybara
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Large rodent

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: capybara

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2024 @751.81 »

I hate Carrd and never understood it, but I don't see an issue with WYSIWYG editors and would like to try one sometime. When Geocities died, I had sites on Freewebs for awhile because I found the drag-and-drop way of site building easier to understand, but I don't know what free host does that besides Wix (which is ethically iffy and uses an ugly watermark to boot).

(I thought SSGs were different though? Every site I've seen that uses a SSG made the base layout themselves, so it's nothing like Carrd or anything.)

acidicAlchemist
Newbie ⚓︎

just once or twice is good for your soul! :)

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: acidicalchemist

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2024 @364.55 »

i don’t have much to add that someone else hasn’t said, but as someone that was a carrd/rentry maker before making my site [i actually started learning coding in the first place because i got sick of carrd’s limitations lol], they don’t really help with the problem of the modern web feeling same-y. to be honest, i feel like template based sites like carrds, rentrys, and straw.pages aren’t really authentic sites in the same way a hand-coded site is.

like, they’re a conventient tool for a personal introduction page, but what use do they have outside of that? either all the features outside of the most basic are paywalled, or nonexistent. i understand they make making a website more accessible, but with so many resources to learn coding and so many free domain hosts, is it really worth it to sacrifice all that creative freedom for a bit more convenience?

just relax, lay yourself down, say goodbye to your head :)
1dkreally
Casual Poster ⚓︎

trying my best to keep it silly :3

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2024 @869.05 »

i think they're... fine? i harbour no ill will to anyone who does use these - i used to have a carrd before moving to neocities myself - but i have points that pretty much everyone else has already brought up.

they do more for making the internet feel a little more diverse than most sites nowadays, but they all still feel a bit too similar. i find that they have a lot of limitations too, there's only so much you can make with them - once i learned html/css and coded my own site, i never looked back on carrd.

if you only want to make something small such as a profile, a hub of links, or a commissions sheet, then i think using a site generator is great for that purpose! if you want to make a full-on website, however, you may want to look into hand-coding.

(i only have experience with carrd btw! i imagine some of these other site builders work very differently and you can indeed build a full site using them LOL)
candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Suck At Something September - Did It!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2024 @926.60 »

im not fond of them persay but i’ve used them in the past. mostly because my neocities is still a huge wip so i’ve used carrd before as a temporary replacement.

i've mostly used things like google sites for school, and never really enjoyed it.. it felt way too "corporate", even with the custom images and such. i just don't like really flat colors and almost no embed control and no way to add my own scripts (even if i sucked at js back then).

I have a lot of respect for a site that creates with pure code, but if it's not possible there's no shame  :ha:

yeah! i might not like it but like others have said, it's a good "entry level site" tool. it would be nice if the platforms could have some way to slowly introduce html to the user, so it's not a massive jump from those to hand crafted.

new to oldnet be nice

cmdr_nova
Casual Poster ⚓︎

What the HECK

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

VaporWave Style !Joined 2024!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2024 @275.13 »

as someone who's been hardcoding for forever, i decided to use jekyll not because i was tired of doing that, but because i needed the backend that would let me use {{ includes }} so that i could continue hardcoding, and maintain a blog with pagination, and also not have to update 30 pages whenever i adjust a link lol

lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2024 @577.78 »

as someone who's been hardcoding for forever, i decided to use jekyll not because i was tired of doing that, but because i needed the backend that would let me use {{ includes }} so that i could continue hardcoding, and maintain a blog with pagination, and also not have to update 30 pages whenever i adjust a link lol

i've used jekyll when my site used to be on neocities, but then i've decided to move to eleventy because i actually like that feature with adding npm stuff to the site

i still use jekyll for my web archival site tho

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 2362
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 8574
Last post August 02, 2024 @153.99
by candycanearter07
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 33
Views: 5992
Last post August 14, 2024 @142.36
by WK_0

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi