Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 02 Oct 2026 - @154.85
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: Love is not possession  :4u: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Worlds & Video Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  GunZ The Duel


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: GunZ The Duel  (Read 3162 times)
Sylvian
Casual Poster
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: Spring, 01 May 2022 @184 » Embed



This was probably the quintessential 3rd person shooter, I don't think it will ever be surpassed. Crazy that it was so good because of an unintended glitch. I never got super 1337 and learned Kstyle properly, but I had a lot of fun playing this game. Anyone else?

I'd play it again but IIRC its networking is p2p and has a fairly sketchy underground hacker scene associated with it. So I'm staying away for the time being.

Logged

Kutan
Jr. Member
**
View Profile


Chitter Critter
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 01 May 2022 @702 » Toggle Font Embed

Oh MAN I played a lot of GunZ. I actually did learn how to kstyle half decently, and the game gets really boring when you do; everyone is invincible most of the time from the block they get during butterfly, and the only loadout you see is dual shotgun. It's basically a game of tag where everyone is zipping around trying to shotgun each other in the back and kills hardly ever happen. I would regularly make new accounts and level back up from 1 just so I could play against people that were using different loadouts :omg:k:

Movement tech is definitely a fun feature in competitive games even when it's unintended, like wavedashing in Melee and bunny hopping in Quake. It's just so funny to me that GunZ caught on because it launched so massively broken and exploitable that the skill ceiling ended up being huge. It was like a contest to see who could out-exploit their opponents. It's the kind of thing I can't really picture happening again, but it was a ton of fun in its heyday.

Logged

https://i.imgur.com/AIxF94A.gif
Sylvian
Casual Poster
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 15 May 2022 @067 » Embed

Oh MAN I played a lot of GunZ. I actually did learn how to kstyle half decently, and the game gets really boring when you do; everyone is invincible most of the time from the block they get during butterfly, and the only loadout you see is dual shotgun. It's basically a game of tag where everyone is zipping around trying to shotgun each other in the back and kills hardly ever happen. I would regularly make new accounts and level back up from 1 just so I could play against people that were using different loadouts :omg:k:

Movement tech is definitely a fun feature in competitive games even when it's unintended, like wavedashing in Melee and bunny hopping in Quake. It's just so funny to me that GunZ caught on because it launched so massively broken and exploitable that the skill ceiling ended up being huge. It was like a contest to see who could out-exploit their opponents. It's the kind of thing I can't really picture happening again, but it was a ton of fun in its heyday.

I remember that lol, interesting perspective you have. Most people miss kstyle and thought it made the game more '1337'. Yeah man it's interesting to see how exploits make things more workable so to speak. I don't think there will be another game like it, since it was unintentional.

Logged

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe