This zone is sleeping right now! ZzzZZzzz

Better not disturb it! ~You go to the petrol station and buy a slushy instead, everything is cool!~

This area will open again in 000.beats!

(Learn about Swatch Time)

Some other zones are awake :^]


Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 28 Sep 2026 - @445.76
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: Love is not possession  :4u: Guild Events: Halloween Watch-a-thon
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Communities & Online Life
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ☁︎ ∙ Web Spelunking (Links)
| | | |-+  Howard Rheingold - The virtual Community


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Howard Rheingold - The virtual Community  (Read 2844 times)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Here be dragons
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Great Posts PacmanThanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: Summer, 28 Jul 2024 @470 » Embed

From the Wikipedia:
Quote
The Virtual Community is a 1993 book about virtual communities by Howard Rheingold, a member of the early network system The WELL. A second edition, with a new concluding chapter, was published in 2000 by MIT Press.

The book's discussion ranges from Rheingold's adventures on The WELL, computer-mediated communication and social groups and information science. Technologies cited include Usenet, MUDs (multi-user dungeons) and their derivatives MUSHes and MOOs, Internet Relay Chat (IRC), chat rooms, and electronic mailing lists. Rheingold also points out the potential benefits for personal psychological well-being, as well as for society at large, of belonging to a virtual community.

The whole thing(!) is available as hypertext on the authors page. Since some people here are interested in early web communities, maybe it interests you?
https://www.rheingold.com/vc/book/intro.html

« Last Edit: Summer, 28 Jul 2024 @525 by ThunderPerfectWitchcraft » Logged

TheFrugalGamer
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
See A Bug Summer 2025 ParticipantGreat Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: Winter, 26 Feb 2025 @717 » Toggle Font Embed

This is very cool! Also, I always love links to free books :)

I will say I couldn't tell at first if it was nonfiction or fiction, so I had to check out its page on Librarything (it's nonfiction, btw). Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but I couldn't tell if he was writing about a real community or an aspirational one, and I haven't started reading it yet.

Logged


Artifact Swap: Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Pink TulipEmerald OreAquamarine
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Here be dragons
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Great Posts PacmanThanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Winter, 26 Feb 2025 @891 » Embed

You could say it is a broad description/analyses of the existing "virtual society" in the internet from the moment when he wrote it - it might be the single most detailed sociological description of the pre 2000s Internet.

Logged

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Enter Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe