Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @37.85
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 963.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :defrag: Lo and Behold :defrag: Guild Events: TIME FOR HALLOWEEN CRAFTS!
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology
| | |-+  Robots


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Robots  (Read 1460 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« on: Spring, 12 Apr 2025 @773 » Toggle Font Embed

https://i.redd.it/ty8b44z2wye21.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/3e/de/67/3ede67f7ac821441899bc7c57af3c813.jpg

Robots!

Would you like to have a robot?
Do you think one would be useful?
Do you expect to have a robot in your life time?
How do you feel about robots in the current technology moment?

I would like to know about peoples thoughts on robots!?  :ozwomp:

https://gifypet.neocities.org/pet/pets/robot.gif

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
AY38910
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Chips in England usually go with fish FYI
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: AY38910

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 12 Apr 2025 @814 » Embed

Does my roomba count

Logged

This post contains Totally™ no viruses (trust me bro)

http://www.am-i-dumb.com/images/stamps/7-1.gif
The Dumb Test
tanuki
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWWArt


Surfing the Web
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tanuki
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: tanuki
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanCubone, I Choose You!Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 12 Apr 2025 @814 » Embed

I love Robots! Or the idea of them. I remember hearing about Isaac Asimov when I was younger, so his writings formed the basis for a lot of my opinions and concerns for Robotics, the Internet, AI (In my opinion, AI is just a buzzword and it's all just Machine Learning - but I'm not very educated in the subject.), and just technology in general.

Assuming here that we are discussing a (at least vaguely) humanoid-esque robot with some Advanced Software, and not worrying about the government spying or a robot-uprising,

Would you like to have a robot?
-- Not as a personal assistant. I would likely become too dependent and lazy, and let me life fall apart.
Do you think one would be useful?

-- Absolutely, they already are! One notable example many people know about is the da Vinci Surgical System. I think Robots can also be useful in jobs that are very dangerous for humans - going into toxic environments like Nuclear Cleanup or Undersea Welding

Do you expect to have a robot in your life time?
-- Again, like the ones I described above and in Melon's photos, Yes I do! We have these virtual assistants which can be very, very helpful and Robots that already look like humans and can run like them (Look at Boston Dynamics - those things are scary). So I believe we will see robots like we see in movies quite soon (next 20 years)

How do you feel about robots in the current technology moment?
-- Pissing my pants I'm so afraid. I do not think robots will be accessible to 'everyday' people, even if uber-rich. And instead will just be used to replace working humans without an alternative for them to survive; or be use primarily for warfare against humans / buildings / historical landmarks. 

Logged
fawn
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: anonbug
iMood: anonbug
PicMix: anonbug

Artifacts:
a fawn for a fawn! ????Joined 2025!
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 12 Apr 2025 @938 » Toggle Font Embed

Why yes, Robots (2005) is a cinematic masterpiece, how could anybody think otherwise?

OH you weren't talking about.. nevermind.. I'll just.. :trash:

Logged

"something beautiful is going to happen"
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #4 on: Spring, 12 Apr 2025 @948 » Toggle Font Embed

Robots (2005) is a cinematic masterpiece
I actually started watching it on my PSP (I have it on umd!) after I made this thread, but then the battery ran out just as he arrived in robot city :drat:

I do think it poses a concerning world where robots have wiped out people and somehow gotten stuck in an endless vaugly 1950s fantasy loop (a bit like WAL-E - it makes me wonder if robot uprisings would inevitably lead to robot-post-human nostalgia, where they try to re-create humanity in a web-revival esq fashion)

Does my roomba count
Yes, in a somewhat disappointing vacuum cleaner way :skull:

So I believe we will see robots like we see in movies quite soon (next 20 years)
It seems like it will prob end up being somewhere between the good and the bad - both war drones and household pets ~ It seems to me though we are still very far from a consumer robot that can climb a stairs, open a door and bring me a glass of milk without spilling ~ I know that motor technology has improved quite a bit, but there's prob a battery breakthrough thats needed for the amount of power a mobile robot would need :dunno: Anyway, I certainly hope to see more robots within 20 years, and I hope there is a breakout robot-for-everyone type thing that is affordable and useful, like a Commodore 64 of robots!

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
fawn
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: anonbug
iMood: anonbug
PicMix: anonbug

Artifacts:
a fawn for a fawn! ????Joined 2025!
« Reply #5 on: Spring, 12 Apr 2025 @951 » Toggle Font Embed

I do think it poses a concerning world where robots have wiped out people and somehow gotten stuck in an endless vaugly 1950s fantasy loop (a bit like WAL-E - it makes me wonder if robot uprisings would inevitably lead to robot-post-human nostalgia, where they try to re-create humanity in a web-revival esq fashion)

I think Stray did something similar! I never did finish playing it but I really loved the perspective of "these robots are continuing our work and adapting habits/mannerisms that they picked up on from us"
I also recently watched The Wild Robot and loved that, I was crying on and off the entire runtime. I guess I do have a niche preference of the exploration of robots  :omg:  :dot:


Logged

"something beautiful is going to happen"
Memory
Guest

« Reply #6 on: Spring, 13 Apr 2025 @185 » Embed

i feel i'm really split between two i think.

i love humanoid robots, mostly not hyperrealistic but also not too robotic hehehe,
but i guess, some examples are Hatsune Miku, Momone Momo, Megaman, and GLaDOS - they fit really well (even to GLaDOS doesn't have a humanoid body lol)

especially since i'd love to be able to 3D print my own little deskbot of some character, and it'd be soo cute!!

though, would i really want to use it with the AI we actually have today? okay okayyy, i don't wanna get too negative, but i just don't like how AI today is being used, that's all! :P

anyways, i've always thought of robots to be really cool, actually. especially androids - i've already said three of them above, but i feel androids are more their 'own thing' than a tool? :3
like, they're humanoid? i've pretty much grown up knowing several android characters in fiction, so why not kinda... treat them like a person too?  :ozwomp:

Quote
Would you like to have a robot?
i think so, definitely as a little deskbot for now. i already thought she'd have a Raspberry Pi 5 or an Orange Pi Ultra inside, with her whole body being 3D-printed! and later, i'd wish to make a UTAUloid in real life, i guess. dunno though, that feels a bit silly, lol

Quote
Do you think one would be useful?
useful? i mean, if it's a person that can also do chores (unlike me lol) then yeah?

Quote
Do you expect to have a robot in your life time?
likely, if i do get around to having a 3D printer at some stage. actually, a place i go to every week already has a 3D printer, and i was thinking of making a smol Hachune Miku deskbot! so yeah, that could be this year actually.

Quote
How do you feel about robots in the current technology moment?
definitely far from great. most are either too hyperrealistic, or too corporate lol

« Last Edit: Spring, 13 Apr 2025 @188 by cynderthekitsune » Logged
candycanearter07
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


i like slimes
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!it's tbhchansey!Goomy, I Choose You!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy Cane
« Reply #7 on: Spring, 15 Apr 2025 @821 » Toggle Font Embed

I'm split between "Robots would be so useful if people were more moral" and "humans absolutely should not have that power". Just look at all the horrible things we're doing with AI today, there is no way we're using the tech ethically.

Why yes, Robots (2005) is a cinematic masterpiece, how could anybody think otherwise?

OH you weren't talking about.. nevermind.. I'll just.. :trash:

That movie was ahead of its time for all the right to repair and e-waste discussion. I loved it as a kid.

Logged

new to oldnet be nice
https://status.cafe/users/candycanearter/badge.png https://abslimeware.neocities.org/assets/images/blinkers/penguins.gif

https://abslimeware.neocities.org/assets/images/blinkers/slimebounce.gif https://card.exophase.com/2/0/268504.png?1727352149

https://i.imgur.com/S1cx8ZZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/7ntZZGM.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/xKIpW2A.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

Artifact Swap: buzzystickerSootBlob Creature
Memory
Guest

« Reply #8 on: Spring, 15 Apr 2025 @862 » Embed

I'm split between "Robots would be so useful if people were more moral" and "humans absolutely should not have that power". Just look at all the horrible things we're doing with AI today, there is no way we're using the tech ethically.
i guess so.

that's kinda why i thought the AI used for my androids should be no more than just the bare basic instructions (to move, eat, drink, blah blah blah) and they'd learn over time.
because their whole purpose is to exist in the real world, they'd learn based off what other humans do. because, this is also how humans ourselves learn, we just don't really say it.

though, yeah. most AI today is used very unethically, and some absolute monsters actually take advantage of it too. and especially the way most AI sources their things, there's no way in hell that's moral or ethical.

i guess what i meant by mine, was a pretty bare basic thing. i thought for example, if i had an android with me (as a friend), she'd likely have learnt a lot of things i (and other humans) do, and because of that, she's basically her own person now.
especially because being around multiple people usually gives other people more chances of finding diverse perspectives and all that. they wouldn't be the exact same as me or another person for example!

i thought letting androids be more themselves, while also teaching them things (if needed?) is probably the way to go?

i just thought of using a pre-existing AI model (since i don't have an insane PC or anything aaah) but using LoRA to kinda turn it into something else. the point is that the android themself is encrypted, kinda like how we humans can't really look into what someone else is thinking. mostly since i wouldn't want to be an android myself and have random humans looking into my brain; that'd be really invasive.

i only thought of these things for androids, mostly since that'd allow them to be more themselves? i might be missing a few things, but that's my basic concept anyways.
this is just my perspective with androids and stuff! (^_^)

« Last Edit: Spring, 15 Apr 2025 @864 by cynderthekitsune » Logged
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe