This zone is sleeping right now! ZzzZZzzz

Better not disturb it! ~You go to the petrol station and buy a slushy instead, everything is cool!~

This area will open again in 000.beats!

(Learn about Swatch Time)

Some other zones are awake :^]


Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 28 Sep 2026 - @512.64
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~ Guild Events: Halloween Watch-a-thon
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Communities & Online Life
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ☁︎ ∙ Web Spelunking (Links)
| | | |-+  The average old website experience


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: The average old website experience  (Read 1174 times)
Bakartridge
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Deviantart Llama!Joined 2024!
« on: Summer, 06 Aug 2025 @052 » Toggle Font Embed

I find a website from the 90s-2006 that I think looks really cool, I wanna see how they did it, so I use inspect element or view the page source to potentially use it as a reference, yet when I look inside it looks like THIS
https://i.ibb.co/gMM26bF/Table-Hell.png
(site in the pic is THIS one, see why I wanted to try and reference it? :P)
Just utter table hell that's basically impossible to recreate by hand, so I can the idea of referencing the code, unless if I wanna spend a million hours fiddling with everything to get it looking just right.
Apparently this was so common because a lot of websites used FPE or Dreamweaver or other applications that could create websites for you instead of just being done by hand via HTML/CSS, so I'm kinda SOL since I don't use any programs like that when I make my site.
All I can say is god bless flexbox in modern HTML. :P

Logged

Rawr.

https://bakartridges-site.neocities.org/big88x31.gif
https://i.ibb.co/J5hwm3j/Sony-PSP-Owner.png
https://i.ibb.co/YPpvTmZ/winampuser.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/XWJYF29/18661.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/QCNNJWF/35-win-fan.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vkbNfBP/ffie350x20.gif
https://i.ibb.co/QMF1jy1/dfbdqlp-c43804a7-9f15-40c1-b498-f402b51125ab.gif
AY38910
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Chips in England usually go with fish FYI
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: AY38910

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 06 Aug 2025 @471 » Embed

My current one is also like that because I originally made it using HamsterCMS. Later moved it to plain HTML, though, using view source...which meant that the page source is pretty much the same, but gives me much more control over where the links lead to, which means that I can make the folder links be direct instead of redirect.

Logged

This post contains Totally™ no viruses (trust me bro)

http://www.am-i-dumb.com/images/stamps/7-1.gif
The Dumb Test
arcus
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 06 Aug 2025 @517 » Toggle Font Embed

It's because browsers didn't have decent CSS support until the 2000s. Different browsers rendered things differently. Since tables predate CSS, they appeared in more web crafting guides and had better support. They were the best way to make a multi column layout before CSS caught on.

« Last Edit: Summer, 06 Aug 2025 @523 by arcus » Logged

Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Enter Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe