Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @395.35 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: Love is not possession  :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Does anyone know (or use) an image host site?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does anyone know (or use) an image host site?  (Read 1195 times)
Kiko
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I want a big sip of cucumber lemonade

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: July 31, 2022 @622.34 »

Since I want my website to be also an archive of my art and animations (and also my page design is very image based), I thought it would be better if I put my files (image, video and audio) in a host site and just link it in my html code.

what are your thoughts on this? anyone recommend a good one? so far I only know of Dropbox, but I wanted to know if there is more and/or better.
I preferably want an option where I can imbed it into my site rather then take you out of it.

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022 @681.55 »

The only one I've really used is Imgur. It seems pretty stable and easy to use as far as I know, and the other image hosts I've seen usually like to charge for their services.

There was another thread in the Tutorials section that touched on some of that a while back. You can check it out here:
https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=443.msg2835#msg2835

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022 @694.83 »

It sounds like you might actually need something more like ArtStation if you are just looking to showcase your work in the most convenient way. I don't think you can embed that in a site though. I would suggest putting your fav images on your site by hand, keeping it all in one place; and linking out to something like ArtStation if you need a more serious showcase.

In terms of regular site images, definitely not! Putting images on a separate host to your html introduces an extra point of failure in your site and may make the site a little slower since the browser needs to load stuff from many locations instead of one!

For on-site video its a different story! Use a dedicated video host like Vimeo; loading videos from typical web servers is always clunky since its a much more complex streaming process.

For audio; on-site or offsite are both ok since typically you only have one file loaded at a time so there is not much impact.

You can certainly hand code a gallery of images and its not hard! It just involves a lot of copy and pasting :tongue: Good file organisation and image compression help too and thats also good practise for keeping an archive of your work.

Also what Frugal said ^^ thats a great thread to bring up!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
tarocchilla
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022 @866.57 »

It sounds like you might actually need something more like ArtStation if you are just looking to showcase your work in the most convenient way. I don't think you can embed that in a site though.

Hi! sorry if this is a bit late, i chacked and you can hotlink artstation to your site! :omg:
Kiko
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I want a big sip of cucumber lemonade

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022 @75.16 »

hey I’m also responding late to this cause I got extremely focus on building my site (^^ゞ
but yeah I think I’m gonna do what melon suggested and build the gallery myself since I want that control over what is displayed and how it’s displayed.
and as for Frugal’s thread, thank you! I was hesitant about image compression but I think you’re right, I look further into it(^▽^)

I don’t think artstation is what I’m looking for since I feel like it’s too professional:dunno: (like, I only know artstation as the “art portfolio” website, but I don’t really know much) and I want my art section to be like an archive of my old drawings from when I was a teenager, nothing too serious.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Best way to have a 2 column site?

Started by ObspogonBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 3
Views: 2362
Last post February 13, 2023 @208.53
by fLaMEd
How do you prefer to keep your site organized (or not)

Started by NightdriftBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 30
Views: 8574
Last post August 02, 2024 @153.99
by candycanearter07
POLL: How many personal sites have you built?

Started by xandraBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 33
Views: 5992
Last post August 14, 2024 @142.36
by WK_0

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi