Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @577.91
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 423.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: There's a great big indie web tomorrow! :smile: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!
| | |-+  What time zones are you guys in?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: What time zones are you guys in?  (Read 467 times)
red-night
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


synthetic and organic at the same damn time
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: red-night

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« on: Summer, 07 Jul 2026 @260 » Toggle Font Embed

Hey everyone! Hope we're all doing well at whatever time we're reading this (hopefully not too late :ohdear: ), but i have just always wondered what time zones people are in on this forum.
Whenever I log on, I'm usually the only person I see who's online, and I was wondering if that's just cause I'm relearning how to not be chronically online or because people are just online at different times?
Also, we should keep some privacy on the internet, so just your time zone would be great! I'm not some malicious hacker trying to steal all your location data, I swear :ozwomp:
I'll start with saying I'm in Mountain Standard Time (MST)!

Logged

The world seems so strange from up here...

Artifact Swap: hey! i'm working here!I met Dan Q on Melonland!maunch
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 07 Jul 2026 @280 » Toggle Font Embed

I'm in the UK, so GMT/BST (UTC+0/+1).



Living so close to the Prime Meridian has its benefits. Back in 2022 I was looking at a map of the locations of my coworkers and thought to myself how fortunate I was to be in about the longitudinal midpoint! Because the mutually-convenient time for whole-team meetings meant that my teammate in Indonesia would be getting ready for bed while my colleague in Costa Rica would be having breakfast, and for me it would be a nice, convenient midday:

https://danq.me/_q23u/2022/02/dan-and-a8c-teams-1960x1074.png

And then I realised that, wait: that's an illusion. The world's not flat. You could define the midpoint between this distributed cloud of points as being... pretty much anywhere! It's only being defined near me because we, as humans, prefer to have meetings where it's the same date for everybody (even if it's different times). To achieve that, we define the Pacific Ocean as the point at which one day ends and the next begins (the antimeridian or "international date line"). But that's a moderately arbitrary decision.

So I started looking into it and it turns out that my "timezone privilege" is a result of, you guessed it... colonialism. When the nations of the world (read: Europeans) decided that we needed a Prime Meridian, the United Kingdom basically said "yes, and it should go through London". France disagreed and said that it should go through as few "important" countries as possible, and suggested running it down the Atlantic. So the UK basically said "let's vote on it", and the rest of Europe said "okay", and then the UK added "but all our colonies get a vote too and oh my look I happen to have the most colonies so I win". And so to this day the Prime Meridian goes right through the middle of the Greenwich Observatory in London and whenever I arrange a meeting with international folks on "both sides" of me we tend to choose a time that suits me rather than one that spans the international date line. Timezone privilege in action.




Anyway, my location's not a secret; my timezone even less so, and incidentally I think people's profiles show their current time if they've set their timezone in the forum?

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
ceejaytwoyoshi
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 07 Jul 2026 @287 » Embed

I'm from the Philippines so, that'd be UTC+8.

Logged
Cele
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: Summer, 07 Jul 2026 @372 » Toggle Font Embed

That would be EET and EEST (or UTC+2 and UTC+3 for anyone who wants to actually understand what it means).

Logged

https://64.media.tumblr.com/f339750d47b841f86b411f210c89bc48/a3f9ac693d24060d-e8/s400x600/2fce684b29380077b902465628201ec7b63f98ff.png
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/userbar/7fa851235decd83fb1f04728a2473956.png
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/userbar/f082aecc2519321c0a13c39f701907bf.png
https://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/gothorita.gif
jjanzen
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #4 on: Summer, 07 Jul 2026 @654 » Embed

I'm in UTC-5 in the Summer and UTC-6 in the Winter (time zones are so confusing with daylight saving time, I wish it were consistent year round). Anyway, my time zone is CDT today at least.

Logged

https://jjanzen.ca/images/jjanzen-button.gif
KrazyKoen
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWWArt


ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: @KrazyKoen

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!NutcrackerJoined 2025!
« Reply #5 on: Summer, 07 Jul 2026 @781 » Toggle Font Embed

I use Eastern Standard Time year round because Daylight Savings Time is a shitty system that does nothing in the modern age but mildly inconvenience people twice a year. :dot:

Logged

Dark forces loom over us...
Memory
Guest

« Reply #6 on: Summer, 07 Jul 2026 @817 » Embed

I live in a state with EST, so that's my time zone. UTC-4 majority of the year, since it's a state that has daylight savings. I assume it'd be UTC -5 the rest of the year before daylight savings starts back up.

« Last Edit: Summer, 07 Jul 2026 @820 by sunnyp4rk » Logged
Khirazekh
Newbie
*
View ProfileArt


An amateur artist
⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #7 on: Summer, 08 Jul 2026 @044 » Toggle Font Embed

I live in the western part of Indonesia, so my time zone is UTC+7.

Logged

https://files.catbox.moe/2b7w3t.pnghttps://files.catbox.moe/382ko5.png
https://files.catbox.moe/0uebkb.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/dfi6g5.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/8copg1.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/h1nujx.gif
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe