Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 10 Oct 2026 - @789.13
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :seal: Thank you for today! :seal: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ☑︎ ∙ Software & Data
| | |-+  building FOSS from source


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: building FOSS from source  (Read 403 times)
lm8
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW

⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« on: Summer, 07 Jun 2026 @682 » Embed

I enjoy building many of the applications I use on my computer from source code.  It makes it easier for me to get to know the programs I use and to modify them to fit my preferences when needed.  Was curious if anyone else regularly builds the software they use from source.

I've looked at projects like LFS/BLFS, but the programs they document and the ones I'm using have diverged a lot over the years.  I tend to build cross-platform portable programs so that I can use them on different computers and operating systems at work and at home without being locked in to any one system.  I love to find useful, lightweight, low dependency C/C++ programs.  I'd like to attempt to build a distro or distro spin someday, but I have a feeling it would mainly just appeal to me.  It's probably easier to use other operating systems and add my own programs to work with them.

Does anyone else enjoy finding lightweight FOSS that's easy to build from source?  Does anyone enjoy building and patching software from source?  Have you considered making your own distro?  I'd love to discuss the topic further and compare notes with other hobbyists and FOSS enthusiasts.

Logged
jjanzen
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 09 Jun 2026 @616 » Embed

I do sometimes enjoy building things from source. It is nice to be able to read the source and change things to your liking. For the most part, I tend to not build from source to avoid dependency issues though. `pacman -Ql | wc -l` says I have exactly 2000 packages installed on my computer and managing that myself would be too much of a hassle. It is nice for the occasional program for sure though. My text editor of choice used to be st and that program only supports configuration by modifying the source code directly. It is honestly a really nice experience.

Logged

https://jjanzen.ca/images/jjanzen-button.gif
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe