I think you are both correct...I've also had my email address up on my website for a while now and the only spam I've gotten have been a few targeted emails asking if they could write stupid articles for me or perform SEO for my site. Clearly written by a human, but spam nonetheless.
My blog, on the other hand, gets TONS of spam, though Akismet makes it a bit easier to deal with. Most of them are clearly bots that are being programmed to solve CAPTCHA puzzles, and they're scarily good at it. They seem to be trying to use my comments form to test their accuracy, though I don't let any of them get through. Funny that the landscape has changed so much in recent years. I remember in the past using all sorts of obfuscation scripts in order to avoid the dreaded spam, but now it seems they're all targeting social media.
If you have an online store powered by a popular platform, then yep, spam is a thing. Sadly the contact form with my business email up on it gets spammed horrendously. So much so I even left a message saying you will be deleted and they still don't care lmaoooo. So that's one exception here. But I've made a handy dandy filter so thankfully I only see like 1 come through my main inbox every few weeks now.
Remember back when people were so paranoid about this that they used Flash to create a clickable email link within a small container? Then Flash became the biggest vulnerability on the internet.
I wasn't following the topic this was spawned off from, so apologies if anyone already said that. I just thought it was funny.
Similar experiences to some of you! I've had publicly listed emails for a while, and it's had no noticable impact on the amount of robo-spam I get, just the occasional unsolicited "let me publish on your site" / "let us redesign your site" email from web design or content marketing companies.
It's worth it for the rare occasion that someone sends me a kind email.