Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @99.34 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 901.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  what would the internet and society be like if DNS was never created?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what would the internet and society be like if DNS was never created?  (Read 577 times)
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« on: July 23, 2023 @255.51 »

this is just a fun alternate history thought experiment that popped into my head just now. imagine if DNS and domain names just never existed and the only way to directly access a website or other internet resource would be to enter in its IP address manually. how would society and the way we use the internet today be different if this was the case?

i’m imagining that everyone would probably keep a list of their friends’, organizations’, and businesses’ IP addresses much like how everyone currently keeps a list of important phone numbers in a contacts list. perhaps it would be common for entries in your contacts list to contain both phone numbers and IP addresses. maybe static IP addresses would be much more common and people would keep the same IP address for years on end, just like how people keep the same phone numbers for years on end. would ordering a pizza online involve looking up the IP address of a local pizza place in the phone book? or would google maps still end up being the primary method of finding a business’s website and contact info?

what do you guys think? would the internet of this alternate universe be wildly different from what we have now, or would the experience of the average internet user largely be the same, just with the occasional manual entry of an IP address here and there?

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023 @262.63 »

this is just a fun alternate history thought experiment that popped into my head just now. imagine if DNS and domain names just never existed and the only way to directly access a website or other internet resource would be to enter in its IP address manually. how would society and the way we use the internet today be different if this was the case?

i’m imagining that everyone would probably keep a list of their friends’, organizations’, and businesses’ IP addresses much like how everyone currently keeps a list of important phone numbers in a contacts list. perhaps it would be common for entries in your contacts list to contain both phone numbers and IP addresses. maybe static IP addresses would be much more common and people would keep the same IP address for years on end, just like how people keep the same phone numbers for years on end. would ordering a pizza online involve looking up the IP address of a local pizza place in the phone book? or would google maps still end up being the primary method of finding a business’s website and contact info?

what do you guys think? would the internet of this alternate universe be wildly different from what we have now, or would the experience of the average internet user largely be the same, just with the occasional manual entry of an IP address here and there?

I think that without DNS, there would be little need for ICANN (International Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). Perhaps TCP/IP itself wouldn't have been particularly relevant, let alone Gopher or the World Wide Web or even FTP. I think we might still be dialing into computers to access BBSes, use Kermit, or send/receive data in bulk using UUCP (UNIX to UNIX copy).

But if TCP/IP had still caught on without DNS, along with FTP, Gopher, and the WWW, people would probably maintain their own hosts files where they would associate memorable names with IP addresses, especially if IPv6 had caught on, since IPv6 addresses are more complex than IPv4 addresses.

Absent DNS and domain names, IP addresses might become as commonly used as phone numbers. We might put our public IPs on business cards instead of phone numbers. And those without fixed IP addresses would still be second-class netizens, rather like those who don't have their own domains and personal websites are today: powerless and dependent on corporate-owned platforms.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023 @264.50 by starbreaker » Logged

Memory
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023 @277.66 »

The web wouldn't be as accessable, though it probably won't hinder anyone, as it's similar to having to type a phone number by hand.

Are we talking IPV4 or IPV6? If the latter would be the case, have fun...
Though bookmarking would be a more common technique then, an almost irreplaceable way to browse the favourite sites.

One great thing (or less great?) would be to type a random number in the browser and land on some random page. That's a bit harder to do when typing random words in the address bar. Lots of site names haven't been taken.

But spammers would stay spammers. Like this technique: gogle.com googl.com for example. Hope for typos to happen to redirect innocent people to spam sites.

The priciest domains would be four of the same digit (IPV4): 10.10.10.10 or 191.191.191.191 for example.

... people would probably maintain their own hosts files ...
That would be very messy, unless it would get united in one commonly used hosts file. And there we have ICANN and all the others again.
I've heard stories about people phoning John Postel, telling him the IP address of their site, and he maintained the global hosts file by hand.

And those without fixed IP addresses would still be second-class netizens, rather like those who don't have their own domains and personal websites are today: powerless and dependent on corporate-owned platforms.
I think the "dynamic DNS" would have to look like this:
127.0.0.1/starbreak/index.html
127.0.0.1/geese/index.html
127.0.0.1/melone/index.html

Or at least that's how a Neocities-like website would solve it.
kurohaato
Full Member ⚓︎

Full Steam Ahead! (≧∀≦)ゞ

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: rinrinrin
iMood: kurohaato
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023 @618.09 »

I wonder if no DNS would mean a longer lifespan for ye olde phone books and address books. We need someplace to write down all these websites and email addresses after all.

There's also the question of how search engines would work. Two sites could have the same information but without the computer telling you which one is google and which one is goggle, the search engine could display the wrong (and most likely malicious) website for users.

01110110 01101001 01110110 01100001 00100000 01101100 01100001 00100000 01101111 01111010 01110111 01101111 01101101 01110000 00100001 00100000 00111010 01000100 :ozwomp:
Memory
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023 @864.94 »

Socially, I think we'd be remembering IP addresses like phone numbers or ICQ IDs. I think it's kinda fun.
Check out my website!! It's 69.63.181.15!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 33
Views: 5125
Last post August 11, 2024 @952.67
by Phoenix
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 18
Views: 6613
Last post August 31, 2024 @266.71
by greyskieshappymind
Gemini, an internet protocol

Started by m15oBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 16
Views: 4274
Last post April 19, 2024 @292.67
by arcus

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi