Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @87.99 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 913.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  Mythic Computers - simple computers in a wood case

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mythic Computers - simple computers in a wood case  (Read 572 times)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 26, 2023 @15.80 »

Dropping by to show you something interesting I saw (and writing this for the second time, because I was logged out and it didnt save it >:()

Keegan McNamara has created a computer for himself (and now, others too) that is very simple and looks like a little wooden typewriter with computer elements. It looks old, but also very classy and fancy. The wood is formed and treated by hand.
He was motivated by feeling like current tech looks very inhuman and cold, and also some spiritual ideas of his. He wanted something simple and serene for himself that could write code, write his diary and that would allow him to continue writing his novel, not more. No browser, no games.

It features the Intel NUC ("a customizable board based on a 4.1GHz Core i3 processor."), an 8 inch cheap screen, the keyboard has a circuit board by KBDfans and key switches by Glorious Panda. The OS is NixOS, with just Emacs on it. For customers, he changes some stuff up depending on their wishes.

I think whats super remarkable and sweet about it is the mechanism to turn it on - the little lever/switch you flip that turns on the lights one after the other. I think that's a very satisfying tactile and visual experience. And the lock! At least the one in the video, not the top one.

To see it, consider watching the YouTube video:

Here's the article I read about it.

Thought some here might be interested; not to buy, but maybe as a proof of concept, or as inspiration for your own projects :smile:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024 @682.27 by shevek » Logged

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023 @64.65 »

I love the look of the wooden computer, personally though, I would've went for a more 80s style case, something like the record player I have in my room. I think wooden (or vinyl veneer) computers need more appreciation though, they aren't too common but they look absolutely gorgeous. Also, something about that computer reminds me of those Fallout terminals. Well, anywho, I love the design and would love to see more wooden computer designs like this one!  :pc:  :pc:  :pc: 

Memory
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023 @307.73 »

Wood is a beautiful material to work with. Though inhalating too much wooden dust makes you feel like a smoker.

This stoneagey attempt at a wooden computer got pretty bulky. Some Celeron board from 1998 that I found on the street had no case and the connectors at an odd place (which would make integrating it in other computer cases than the original impossible), so the decision was done to build a new case with some modifications. The connectors had to be in the front for acessability, instead of the back. The size is optimised in width and length, however not in height, as all parts are stacked above the board, being accessable throgh two latches. The height makes this thing look like a religious shrine. Being a rather obsolete, but still working portal to other worlds.

* hocompgr.gif (264.42 kB, 986x858 - viewed 30 times.)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023 @683.06 »

@Gans that is so cool and amazing. I love that you did this. This brings so much more creativity to cases of computers, instead of just the latest pre-made glass case with RGB LEDs.
How is the airflow? Would it overheat with time?

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Memory
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023 @671.08 »

Thank you, Shevek. It basically went to the question of which materials are around here and then there was this heap of cut branches around the city...

The branches have quite some gaps between them, so the computer is always like in free air. Also, the Celeron CPU is a cool and slow thing as well, see how small the ventilator is. The graphics card (surprisingly for the PCI slot) needs no cooling at all.
The most sophisticated part of the case are the power and disc LEDs, which are hidden in the center of a branch.

* hocomp3.gif (450.24 kB, 1280x960 - viewed 21 times.)

* hocomp2.gif (486.55 kB, 1280x960 - viewed 21 times.)
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023 @653.65 »

Thank you, Shevek. It basically went to the question of which materials are around here and then there was this heap of cut branches around the city...

The branches have quite some gaps between them, so the computer is always like in free air. Also, the Celeron CPU is a cool and slow thing as well, see how small the ventilator is. The graphics card (surprisingly for the PCI slot) needs no cooling at all.
The most sophisticated part of the case are the power and disc LEDs, which are hidden in the center of a branch.

This is such a thing of beauty! You did a wonderful job here!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

GUIDE: Melon's Simple X3D World Tutorial

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 5
Views: 4537
Last post February 17, 2022 @637.75
by demonologi
Case Study - Design elements and hits, should we care?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 3
Views: 1826
Last post April 22, 2022 @82.67
by Icey!
Simple ways to create and upload a large art gallery?

Started by morrysillusionBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 7
Views: 1982
Last post July 12, 2022 @876.92
by morrysillusion

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi