Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @102.96 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 898.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :eyes: ~ Inconvenience is counterculture ~ :eyes:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  Unmaintained, obscure software

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unmaintained, obscure software  (Read 711 times)
Memory
« on: August 06, 2023 @877.21 »

I recently found myself having a lot of fun with looking for the most obscure, old, unmaintained pieces of software for a specific use case I can find (e.g. file managers, IRC clients, window managers, music players et cetera) and just compiling them and building a system tailored to them.

I think it's super relaxing and interesting to look at pet projects of people who are now twenty or thirty years older or may not even be alive anymore, and using them as part of my daily driving! And some of them are actually way better at doing simple things than new software, for me at least.

These for example are my recent laptop experiments where I tried out the window managers Wind and WindowLab respectively, each only using default X11 programs:

Spoiler

[close]
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023 @7.35 »

As someone who loves to play around with Windows 98 and MacOS Classic, I stumble across a lot of those. There's even a good site for them for MacOS.

One peice of unmaintained software I stumbled across a while back is VCDGear, which a Video CD authoring tool. Never have found a reason to use it, but I find it fascinating. Tested it and it works well enough. If anyone ever wanted to make a Video CD, there you go.

Another one which I actually do have a use for is UndercoverXP, which resizes and formats artwork for printing and sticking into CD cases, DVD cases, and loads more!

Another super useful program is Easy Feed Editor, which is a GUI program for generating and maintaining RSS xml files.

Another cool one is Feed Notifier, which sits in the background on Windows or Mac and pops up a notification when a new item on a subscribed feed is published. I love using this whenever I'm on Windows, but I can't find a Linux/Ubuntu equivalent anywhere. Anyone know of something similar?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023 @9.64 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Memory
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023 @282.80 »

@Cobra: Maybe test out QuiteRSS. You can set it up to make noises and pop-ups when a new thread arrives.

As for old, but especially obscure software, have a look at QuickView (http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/). A video player for MS-DOS. It's clunky. But it's probably the most efficent video player that exists. With that, you can watch moderately sized MP4 videos on really crusty machines.
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023 @933.13 »

@Cobra: Maybe test out QuiteRSS. You can set it up to make noises and pop-ups when a new thread arrives.
That's not quite the same thing. I'm looking for a program that just gives a notification that a new entry is published, and clicking on it opens the article in your browser.

I'm having to settle for Feed Reader under wine, but many RSS feeds just don't work with it, even with a version someone made after the original guy abandoned it to fix the issue.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023 @939.66 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Memory
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023 @312.30 »

That's not quite the same thing. I'm looking for a program that just gives a notification that a new entry is published, and clicking on it opens the article in your browser.

Let's discuss this in more detail, because I think QuiteRSS does the job indeed. Right click on one entry, then I have the option to "open in an external browser". And so Firefox pops up.
And notifications, yes, you can set your feed browser to search the feeds automatically for new entries after some seconds or minutes.
arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: arcus

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023 @687.44 »

JGlossator. It's a tool for studying Japanese. It scans the clipboard for Japanese sentences, detects words, and outputs definitions of each word automanically.

There's no strong interest in reviving it, since everyone uses popup dictionaries now―add-ons that show definitions as one mouses over words. I prefer this tool over popup dictionaries when playing games, since one can check definitions without moving the cursor, which is handy when one is using a controller.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jglossator/

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

GNU / Linux / Free Software

Started by MemoryBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 17
Views: 2940
Last post December 23, 2022 @939.87
by Cele
/home/user/'s Obscure Song of the Day

Started by MemoryBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 7
Views: 1527
Last post March 23, 2023 @493.16
by Memory
Obscure Games

Started by SilkSkullBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 21
Views: 2396
Last post April 06, 2023 @901.63
by HunnyBon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi