Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @258.58 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: :transport: More is More :transport: :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery
| | | |-+  Vintage Book Covers

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Vintage Book Covers  (Read 650 times)
bugfeli
Casual Poster

at the end of everything, hold onto anything

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: bugfelii
iMood: bufeli

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 08, 2023 @67.22 »

something i've noticed especially when it comes to browsing for books in person is a very distinct difference in book covers that are old compared to newly published/republished covers. i think its more prominent in horror novels (totally not because it's really the only genre that i read or anything) as they've made a switch from hand-drawn illustrations to this conflicting graphic design style.

anyways thought id make a thread for any vintage/old book covers cuz i think they're really neat. here are some of my personal favorites from the horror genre :ha:

everything is ok!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023 @77.88 »

Oooo I love old book covers and graphic design! I use them a lot as inspiration!

I don't have most of my cool ones on hand, but these two are on my shelf!

I also reaaaallly love the old Foundation covers; I used to have one printed out on my wall; Id love to collect them but Id have to import from the US and ughh.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023 @90.10 »

There’s just something about old artwork like this, not just with books, but I’ve seen it with VHS tapes and to an extent video games, that invokes a sense of wonder and curiosity out of me, like I’m about to go om an adventure or something.

Does that make sense?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023 @105.83 »

Does that make sense?
It does! Although I always feel a little disappointed because the the actual media rarely lives up to how much the artworks promises :tongue:

One thing Iv realised is that its actually a pretty small club of artists who did all of that artwork; I honestly don't think the cover art scene of the 80s was much bigger than the web revival scene is now, everyone knew each other and a bunch of the are still working - for example the artist who did those foundation covers still takes commissions: https://www.michaelwhelan.com/gallery/

"I have been interested in the imagery of fantasy since early childhood and all my artwork is, at its most fundamental level, about creating a “sense of wonder”" - from his bio, same words as you!

It really speaks to the power of concept art and imagination; and also to the particular mood of an era that creates a particular kind of art!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023 @107.42 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
MrsMoe
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023 @151.26 »

I love how much artistry some old book covers have and it's a big reason why I HAAAATE all the minimalist bullshit modern covers have. There's just so much less personality on display and they rarely ever tell you what the book is actually about.

I think In Praise of Shadow's video about this issue (specifically in regards to how it's been affecting horror novels) is really damn good and I highly recommend it.

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023 @732.58 »

I love how much artistry some old book covers have and it's a big reason why I HAAAATE all the minimalist bullshit modern covers have. There's just so much less personality on display and they rarely ever tell you what the book is actually about.

Unfortunately, if you're a writer doing tradpub you don't get the final say when it comes to cover art. You're lucky if you get a say at all. For example, I got stuck with this cover for my second novel.

I don't know if that cover is the reason my second novel bombed, but I doubt it helped.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Supercade - Book Review!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1336
Last post March 20, 2022 @85.47
by Kutan
Covers, mashups and remixes better than the original

Started by MemoryBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 14
Views: 2142
Last post October 15, 2022 @159.61
by Memory
Bookcrossing

Started by MemoryBoard ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 9
Views: 2031
Last post March 25, 2023 @343.46
by teatime

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi