Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @147.75 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 853.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Book recommendations?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Book recommendations?  (Read 130 times)
Pinklady
Casual Poster

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2023!
« on: August 16, 2024 @819.69 »

I previously posted something on this site about trying to get better at writing, and after raving reviewing the replies and consulting my father who is currently a ghost writer and used to write plays, the general consensus was that I should be reading more (an obvious answer I know, but it’s never bad to get feedback) so I was wondering if any of you guys have any interesting book recommendations?? I liked A Clockwork Orange, Push, diary of an oxygen thief,exquisite corpse, stuff like  that. so I guess I like books with disturbing themes that deeply challenge my view of how far people will go. I also like unreliable narrators.
larvapuppy
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024 @859.20 »

I think reading a lot can sometimes help you to become a better writer, but I read a lot and my writing sucks.  :smile: I've heard lived experience helps a lot more, it will make your writing a lot more realistic when you have a firsthand understanding of the way the world and people operate.

As for recommendations, I recently read one called Tender is the Flesh, it's fiction but I found it pretty disturbing & couldn't put it down.

Another recent read... Not sure if you like scifi/fantasy, but for an unreliable narrator you can try the Book of the New Sun series.

I'll look into the books you mentioned as well, they seem interesting!  :seal:

the end of an era, one starts anew
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024 @46.10 »

A Clockwork Orange

I can heavily recommend "Earthly Powers", its a great post-modern novel by Burgess :).

greyskieshappymind
Casual Poster ⚓︎

✩₊˚.⋆her⋆⁺₊✧

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Lego Bionicle !Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024 @280.49 »

I like books with disturbing themes that deeply challenge my view of how far people will go. I also like unreliable narrators.
May I recommend "Alone" by Beverly Farmer?

"This is the haunting record of a young woman's anguish alone with the pain of rejection by her lover, a woman. Alone is a beautifully told story of isolation, obsession, and despair."

It's about 100 pages long depending on edition so I think it's good for a short read.

The thing is: I have no idea how difficult it would be to find a copy. It was out of print since 1991, and the 2024 reprinting is in the hands of a local university-based publisher (I don't think her acclaim reached beyond Australia). That's why I'm digitising it, so let me know if you want a pdf copy.

"You're limiting the universe to only things humans can understand."
"Well you're limiting the universe by limiting the possibility of human understanding."
"Oh yeah... maybe."
- Over the Garden Wall, episode 9, 06:50-06:59

imnotjahan
Newbie ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Possibly Jahan, Perhaps. No One Knows.Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: Today at @4.43 »

I like books with disturbing themes that deeply challenge my view of how far people will go. I also like unreliable narrators.

(trigger warning! pedophillia)
Spoiler
As soon as I read that my mind went to Lolita, if you haven't heard of it it's a very famous and controversial novel about a man who rapes his twelve-year-old daughter in law. It's all told by the perpetrator, in an attempt to sway the jury soon to judge him. Thus it has both the troubling themes and a very questionable narrator.
[close]

Another book I'd recommend is my personal favorite, Crime and Punishment. It focuses on "how far people will go," exploring many disturbing themes as the nihilistic protagonist wallows in guilt over his own transgression. On the note of Dostoevsky I'd also recommend Demons, especially with the At Tikhon's chapter read in place.

Only to live, to live and live! Life, whatever it may be!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Supercade - Book Review!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1281
Last post March 20, 2022 @85.47
by Kutan
Anime recommendations please!

Started by pleb-hates-the-modern-webBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 9
Views: 2093
Last post November 27, 2022 @760.84
by Nines
Bookcrossing

Started by MemoryBoard ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 9
Views: 1967
Last post March 25, 2023 @343.46
by teatime

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi