Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @126.52 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 874.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  I bet YouTube is Ad-Block...Blocking you!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: I bet YouTube is Ad-Block...Blocking you!  (Read 1984 times)
myleszey
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rabbit

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Two SSL certificates for the price of oneFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2024 @746.40 »

Any folks who use Android based operating system, I highly recommend looking into PipePipe. Lets you browse Youtube, Niconico and others, without ads and other fluff. Doesn't seem to be a way to reliably "log in" to your google based accounts though.

BlackMageGaming
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!Black Mage HatJoined 2024!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2024 @890.47 »

I don't know of any specific adblocking software for YouTube on iPhones. But...

If you get an ad on a YouTube video, then press on the YouTube Shorts tab, then close the YouTube shorts tab, it will skip the ad on the original video immediately.

Now, I don't know if this works for anybody else, but this still works on my device. If anybody else is able to test this, please let me know.
(Note: this only works on iPhones I think)

:ozwomp:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024 @893.96 by BlackMageGaming » Logged

"The joy of living far outweighs the fear of death."
~ Black Mage #288

SiLver
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: SiLverSkelebeast

View Profile WWW

Lego Bionicle !Joined 2024!
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2024 @858.83 »

Oddly, Despite hearing about many people having trouble with ad-blockers not working on youtube, I haven't had the website block me at all. I have multiple ad-blockers, and I'd figure one of them would set off the youtube anti-blocker detector, but I guess not! It is of note that I'm on Firefox, which may have something to do with my seemingly being unaffected.

--Edit for more content I thought up--

For being on my phone, I use NewPipe its free and allows for essentially all of the features of youtube premium (ad-free, background play, ect.) as-well as it gives access to some other websites such as soundcloud and bandcamp, Its really great for listening to music!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024 @861.18 by SiLver » Logged

:skull: Disciple of the Evil Skull since 2007 :skull:
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2024 @863.46 »

Apparently YouTube is testing server-side ads (meaning the ad will be encoded into the video so there is no way for your computer to tell the difference between the ad and the video)

If thats true then ad-blocking could become very difficult  :sad: Although I kinda wonder how practical it is; custom encoding every YouTube video would be super expensive for Google, Im not sure its worth it ~ Unless they have some new super high-speed encoding technology??

Its also bad news for archiving, since if you used a YouTube downloader, it would include the ad in the video you were trying to archive and you have to manually edit it out  :drat: (All the more reason to archive video you like now!!)

adblocking software for YouTube on iPhones.
I use AdGuard on iOS, it works but its not perfect - sometimes it just reverts to showing you a static image ad that you can skip - but that's less intrusive than a video ad, so its better than nothing!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Audball
Casual Poster ⚓︎

WOE BE TO THOSE WHO SEE!!!

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: audball

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2024 @525.78 »

When the battle for ad-blocking started however many months ago, I also have never had an issue blocking youtube ads. I saw a reddit user long ago also bring this up and I think the reason this is the case is a combination of uBlock Origin as well as Privacy Badger (an addon that blocks various trackers, many of which are ad-related). I've seen others talk about this combo, which I've just been using as my standard browsing experience, being basically impenetrable for youtube's ads.

That said, I now have just moved to using the program FreeTube on my pc (ad-free youtube in its own program window, local account that still lets you "subscribe" to channels and make playlists, but its all local and not tied to a Google account), as well as NewPipe on my android phone.

If youtube does decide to do server-side ads, then that may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me and I will probably start seriously trying to wean myself off of youtube entirely.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." ~Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Slaughterhouse Five
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2024 @560.83 »

If youtube does decide to do server-side ads, then that may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me and I will probably start seriously trying to wean myself off of youtube entirely.

Same. I'm stubborn enough to drop most things when others try to push something on me. Youtube has been bugging out on waterfox and firefox for me these past weeks, so I just couldnt watch youtube for many days. I just went to watch other stuff instead.

It works in firefox now, but not waterfox still, so I watch a little bit now, but yeah.... i would def drop maybe 80% or more of my youtube watch time if they start to strong arm ads into the video.

It's strange because I dont actually care about ads when I'm watching it through for example Chromecast (because that means I'm on my TV, where theres a lot more ads on cable anyway). I just hate that the ads VERY OFTEN break the video stream and we end up wasting 5 minutes trying to get it back. Imagine if cable tv pulled that nonsense for people... every time there was an ad break, you risked the cable going out and you'd have to wrestle the TV to get it back...  :skull:

Anyway, I'm def never ever getting YT premium. I'd soon just drop watching videos. The people making stuff I like, would probably find other places to show their stuff. For example, I like discovering music on YT to get on Bandcamp. A lot of great people make huge compilations of stuff that is available on Bandcamp. If people stopped watching that on YT, I'm sure they'd start posting elsewhere to showcase the music.

Audball
Casual Poster ⚓︎

WOE BE TO THOSE WHO SEE!!!

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: audball

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2024 @613.65 »

I'm stubborn enough to drop most things when others try to push something on me.

Same here. Most people I know have been living near-completely ad-free existences for a while now and they all agree that if ads become non-negotiable in a service, they are dipping 100%. I just cannot deal with them anymore! They're all corporate as heck, out of touch, and sometimes actively make my day worse (I remember a youtube ad a long time ago from Geico where 90% of the ad was just ASMR-levels of detailed audio of a dog eating, it was disgusting.)

For example, I like discovering music on YT to get on Bandcamp. A lot of great people make huge compilations of stuff that is available on Bandcamp.

This is a pastime of mine as well! I do wonder what will become of things like this when/if Youtube goes down. Where would anyone go? I remember lots of people used to answer "vimeo" but I've never been so sure about that.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." ~Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Slaughterhouse Five
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2024 @645.15 »

Same here. Most people I know have been living near-completely ad-free existences for a while now and they all agree that if ads become non-negotiable in a service, they are dipping 100%. I just cannot deal with them anymore! They're all corporate as heck, out of touch, and sometimes actively make my day worse (I remember a youtube ad a long time ago from Geico where 90% of the ad was just ASMR-levels of detailed audio of a dog eating, it was disgusting.)

This is a pastime of mine as well! I do wonder what will become of things like this when/if Youtube goes down. Where would anyone go? I remember lots of people used to answer "vimeo" but I've never been so sure about that.

Yeah I've been wondering too. Vimeo and Dailymotion is so cursed and lame lol, but sometimes you find the most obscure stuff there. I wonder if Bandcamp and other places (Soundcloud maybe) would offer video-upload to creators, maybe. If people start running away from Youtube. I honestly wouldn't mind a capped video compilation if it meant ad-free. So anyone posting those 45 minute compilations of "etheral wave blah blah" etc lol on YT could keep posting there so we can "surf" and enjoy the videos, but at like 480p. For me, that would be a fine trade-off. I hate when Big Corp. has monopoly on everything.

Also, oh my god the audio.... XD there's an ad here that runs, where a pomeranian is like, smacking their lips for 5 seconds, and I've got misophonia so I feel like I wanna start punching walls everyyyy time that ad rolls. I seriously HATE when the make ads with the most disgusting or loud audio. Youtube is notorious for having ads with 300% louder volume too. FFS.

edit: also I should mention, the irony is that I've been curating older commercials on VHS and transfering them digitally to upload on YT. And I love sifting through old commercials on youtube, like actual TV commercials. Crazy how I'll legit watch ads when they are old, but the ad rolls make me want to start throwing furniture around.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 60
Views: 8286
Last post September 07, 2024 @193.80
by halcybutton
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by MemoryBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 61
Views: 6869
Last post Today at @10.50
by garystu
Hot Tip for finding obscure gaming/Let's Play YouTube channels

Started by MemoryBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 828
Last post February 28, 2023 @973.90
by SilkSkull

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi