Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 06 Oct 2026 - @857.36
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :cry: Are u having fun? Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Multi-hour video essays recs?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Multi-hour video essays recs?  (Read 1128 times)
poesu
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


So many links, so little time
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
THE tieTriple HornsDevil HornsDevil Cursor TailStripey ScarfFrom Tuffy with ❤️
« on: Spring, 27 May 2026 @360 » Toggle Font Embed

I feel like I've watched most of the popular essays on the left-wing YouTube, and I'm bored. Recommend me something you liked on any topic. The requirement is only that it's at least 1 hour long.

Besides essays, maybe some investigations, retrospectives, and reviews.

Logged

https://poesu.neocities.org/images/my_button.pnghttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/no_squircle.webphttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/accessibility.webp

Artifact Swap: SquirrelThis artifact is invisibleAda the ButterflyWhite-Winged Scoter<html>I met Dan Q on Melonland!Icecream sundaeender pearl yappin kittayDripping inkyshroomoupyShang Mu AcademyfunguyPhone's Ringing!Pastel eyebatAmerican CrowLarge watercraftKitty KittyLollipopPink camera flashEyeSeeYou
dogbrain
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


melting down army guys to make green tea
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: robdog
iMood: robdog
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 27 May 2026 @392 » Toggle Font Embed

i love kaz rowe's entire channel! they're a historian and a good chunk of their videos are over an hour long (particularly their biographical ones), they cover a wide range of historical topics and are very well researched :ha:

« Last Edit: Spring, 27 May 2026 @842 by dogbrain » Logged

it/he
https://files.catbox.moe/0fmlx1.gif https://file.garden/aJ42hERaRB8KTsjG/IMG_0702.gif
time is flying like an arrow, and the clock hands go so fast they make the wind blow, and it makes the pages of the calendar go flying out the window one by one
https://file.garden/aJ42hERaRB8KTsjG/IMG_1434.gif


Artifact Swap: Dig Creature
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 27 May 2026 @402 » Toggle Font Embed

Basically anything by Real Time History is great, and many are 1hr+. I recently enjoyed First Year of WW2 1939-1940 (Nebula, YouTube), which is 3h37m long! Philosophy Tube is of course fantastic and has a handful of 1hr+ videos: the latest video, Britain Still Has Conversion Therapists. Here's Why. (Nebula, YouTube) is 2h5m.

What else have I enjoyed at that length lately? Three Dead Girls I Love by SarahZ (Nebula) weighs in at 2h30m. She's got several other 1hr+ videos but I've not watched many yet. Isaac Arthur re-assembles some of his sci-fi discussion/thought pieces into longer videos sometimes, like in The Terraforming Compendium: From Barren Rocks to Living Worlds (Nebula, YouTube). I've recently started watching Everyday Astronaut talk about space science, but not got far enough to recommend or not yet, but many of his videos are 1hr+. On a similar note, PBS Space Time is fantastic and, like Isaac Arthur, sometimes make compilations of their own videos that follow a theme: I enjoyed (re-)watching a series of them by watching Black Holes. Explained. For 1.5 Hours (YouTube) recently.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Noah_S
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Noah. Earth. I make website. I.. I.. Noah. Earth.
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Noah_S
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
funguyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!I met Dan Q on Melonland!A coin!Enby
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 27 May 2026 @408 » Toggle Font Embed

Oceanliner Designs has a bunch of long videos including a 5 hours and 40 minutes long compilation of Titanic history.

Paleo Analysis has this video about the earth before the dinosaurs that's almost 3 hours long.

Logged

perfectionist_better.gifweb_designer.gifspeed_of_time.gifbutton290.pngmy_dream_wedding.gifClippy beats AI

Artifact Swap: Large watercraftGrowing ballwhen life gives you crab make mailMelonland has encountered a bugMerry Christmasblack n yellow yappin kittayMessage BuddylaptopYarn kitty
Dynaknights
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


"When fate comes knockin'..."
⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
I got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!Spinning Star!MousyFunny BoneJoined 2026!
« Reply #4 on: Spring, 27 May 2026 @569 » Embed

I enjoy Sir_Superhero's essays quite a bit. Granted, most of his videos are pretty short in terms of video essays, but he does have some pretty good ones that are at least an hour long: here's his video about Marvel's 2099 universe, and here's one about Marvel's cosmology.

NeverKnowsBest, Dungeon Chill, Majuular, and Tor's Cabinet of Curiosities are also worth checking out in my opinion. The first three are centered around video games (NeverKnowsBest covers video game history and retrospectives that are VERY lengthy [>5 hrs], Majuular and Dungeon Chill cover weird/obscure old games), while Tor's Cabinet is... about weird shit that's happened, for lack of better words. Most of Tor's videos are under an hour (~55 mins), but there are some lengthier videos that are still just bizarre, like this one about a cult.

Logged

https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/decor/wing1.gif In another, another, another universe in the far, far future...
Maybe, just maybe, I'll think of a better signature...
https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/decor/wing2.gif

https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws1.png https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws2.png https://web-surfer.neocities.org/assets/buttons/twws3.png

Artifact Swap: Puppy DogUseless nested <div>Gallery CardArcadeVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!angel kirbyAmethystfwoggienerdJellycat
TheFrugalGamer
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
See A Bug Summer 2025 ParticipantGreat Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: Spring, 27 May 2026 @812 » Toggle Font Embed

NeverKnowsBest, Dungeon Chill, Majuular, and Tor's Cabinet of Curiosities are also worth checking out in my opinion. The first three are centered around video games (NeverKnowsBest covers video game history and retrospectives that are VERY lengthy [>5 hrs], Majuular and Dungeon Chill cover weird/obscure old games), while Tor's Cabinet is... about weird shit that's happened, for lack of better words. Most of Tor's videos are under an hour (~55 mins), but there are some lengthier videos that are still just bizarre, like this one about a cult.

These are some of my favorites as well. In addition, I'd also add Grimbeard, who also does video game-based content. Atrocity Guide is another really good channel that does deep dives into strange subjects. They only come out with about one video a year, but they're always well researched and super interesting.

If you're really really into videogaming, especially speedrunning, Pannenkoek2012 does ridiculously detailed videos about Super Mario 64, speed running, and one-button challenges. Another SM64 speedrunner, Bismuth, also has similar videos, and one about the A button challenge, The Complete History of the A Button Challenge is over 5 hours long!!!

Logged


Artifact Swap: Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Pink TulipEmerald OreAquamarine
chantolove
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


Jewels. Quarrystone. Salt. Blasting powder. Enough
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: chantolove

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!THE-MEASURE-CUTSHungry caterpillar
« Reply #6 on: Spring, 28 May 2026 @185 » Embed

Seems like the day of going around recommending all my playlists haha. Best Of All Time here has a wide variety of lengths, the including factor is replayability- there's a Short in here, for chrissakes- but there's lots that are super long. A couple are 4 hours, and one is 6 hours. All sorts of view counts, too. My favorite is the opener, but it's only 26 minutes, so here's a couple:


The Twenty-One Billion Dollar Hole In Texas (BobbyBroccoli)


The Adventures of Tintin and the Shadows of Giants (BREADSWORD)

And a bonus one that isn't on the playlist, although you might have seen it:


MANTRACKS: a True Story of Fake Fossils (Folding Ideas)

Honestly, most of the best and most underrated ones from the playlist are between 20-50 minutes... you should give em a try. Maybe the amount of em will make up for the length? :P

As far as already suggested ones, I can third that Tor's Cabinet of Curiosities is quite good. The recent one on Guy Standing was great, as is the Beach Boys one.

Logged

https://chantolove.neocities.org/images/Guys/myguys/akiradoll.png          https://chantolove.neocities.org/images/sitebuttonv2.png          https://chantolove.neocities.org/images/flag.png

Artifact Swap: Tiny SunTHE-MEASURE-CUTS
lakes
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #7 on: Spring, 28 May 2026 @199 » Embed

This is more of a playlist than a single video essay, but since someone already mentioned BobbyBroccoli:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAB-wWbHL7VvVT1LbcOIkqkowoZry6Rfd


Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
poesu
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


So many links, so little time
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
THE tieTriple HornsDevil HornsDevil Cursor TailStripey ScarfFrom Tuffy with ❤️
« Reply #8 on: Spring, 29 May 2026 @227 » Toggle Font Embed

Thank you everyone for your recommendations!! I'll get to them asap! Finally I have a lot of interesting stuff to watch while drawing ^-^

Dungeon Chill
I love hiiimmmm :chef:

Logged

https://poesu.neocities.org/images/my_button.pnghttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/no_squircle.webphttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/accessibility.webp

Artifact Swap: SquirrelThis artifact is invisibleAda the ButterflyWhite-Winged Scoter<html>I met Dan Q on Melonland!Icecream sundaeender pearl yappin kittayDripping inkyshroomoupyShang Mu AcademyfunguyPhone's Ringing!Pastel eyebatAmerican CrowLarge watercraftKitty KittyLollipopPink camera flashEyeSeeYou
Radioactive Calcium
Newbie
*
View Profile


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Tao StoneVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #9 on: Spring, 30 May 2026 @433 » Embed

I'm probably going to watch a lot of these recommendations. Here are a couple more video essays that are similar that weren't listed yet.

The Lincoln Highway: Across America on the First Transcontinental Motor Route by Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

The Last Bronycon: a fandom autopsy by Jenny Nicholson

All of the videos from Dan Olson of Folding Ideas which I am assuming most people here have already seen. However there is a live panel that is not a video that some people might not have seen.

Folding Ideas Presents: Silkposting a Culture of Trolling | PAX East 2025 by PAX

« Last Edit: Summer, 07 Jun 2026 @646 by Radioactive Calcium » Logged

Be Excellent to Each Other

Artifact Swap: Spiritual Stone of WaterMonkey¹ScepterQuibbleFOFO
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe