A text browser is actually the fastest internet expierience you can get. Try w3m on Linux or "Links" (got a current update this year) on DOS. Loading times of less than a millisecond can only be achieved through throwing all images and formatting out of the window. In the attachments there is how it looks in Lynx. I always add the file size to the alt-text to tell the old browser users how big that file would be, if they try to load it. Looking like: "Photo, 34KB: Image description". Also, that underlines how bloddy efficent converting images to a lower number of colours can be.
Wasn't it the old Internet Explorer that displayed the alt-text when hovering over the image for some seconds?
Wooow it's amazing and as fast as you said. Don't like the Windows version tho.
Sent using lynx from my phone (using Termux)
Im super guilty of using way too many big gifs and images, and i think alt text and image captions are awesome, but apparently not awesome enough to have implemented them anywhere on my sites. Its kind of ridiculous because I love describing things and I needa get off my butt and start.
I have never heard of Lynx before, and i find that really interesting and exciting, and I think both the original post and finding out about that is definitely starting a snowball. I can't wait to try... Its like reading sites like a book... Thats so cool