Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @26.67
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: There's a great big indie web tomorrow! :smile: Guild Events: weekly zine jam 15: dreams
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Are you a floater or a flexer?


« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print Embed
Poll
Question: How do you arrange items?
I mostly float!   -8 (30.8%)
I mostly flex!   -12 (46.2%)
I do 50/50!   -4 (15.4%)
I do not align items >:D   -2 (7.7%)
Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Are you a floater or a flexer?  (Read 4095 times)
virtualpet2001
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


getting hard to be someone but it all works out
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!Water Creature
« Reply #15 on: Spring, 11 Mar 2026 @660 » Toggle Font Embed

I can't remember the exact reason why but float just wouldnt work on my website so I did end up using flexboxes for putting my things side-by-side. i can second that flexboxfroggy is nice for visualizing how it all works ... even though i always forget the exact names of the css tags...lol

Logged

https://cloudgazer.neocities.org/links/cloudgazer.png
lakes
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #16 on: Spring, 12 Mar 2026 @800 » Embed

I prefer the super secret third option of using a grid layout.
Code
.container {
  display: grid;
  grid-template-columns: auto auto auto;
    padding: 10px;
}
@media only screen and (max-width: 600px) {
  body {background-repeat: repeat;}
  .item1 {grid-area: 1 / span 6;}
  .item2 {grid-area: 2 / span 6;}
  .item3 {grid-area: 3 / span 6;}
  .item4 {grid-area: 4 / span 6;}
  .item5 {grid-area: 5 / span 6;}
  .item6 {grid-area: 6 / span 6;}
}

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
Grillsen
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #17 on: Spring, 13 Mar 2026 @065 » Embed

I never understood how flexbox worked and I tried grids but they turned out to be more trouble then they were worth. I am old school and use float or text-align to align things left or right. Margin:auto or text-align:center centers stuff just fine too. I used to use the old align html tags, but those are now deprecated apparently so I try to avoid them now in order to keep things up to date.

I am also a big advocate for tables. Tables are extremely versatile and easy to use once you understand them. Sure we have all kinds of fancy css now a days which is better for layouts, but I have always used tables and they still work great.

Logged
lakes
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #18 on: Spring, 13 Mar 2026 @086 » Embed

I am old school and use float or text-align to align things left or right. Margin:auto or text-align:center centers stuff just fine too. I used to use the old align html tags, but those are now deprecated apparently so I try to avoid them now in order to keep things up to date.

This is how I find out that "text-align" and "margin" are what's meant by "float."
But yeah I can understand that because I only use grid for my art & about pages. Otherwise I just use "margin: auto/0 15 em/etc." Both methods are much more intuitive for me. But I never tried tables. I do follow someone on neocities who swears by it though.

« Last Edit: Spring, 04 Apr 2026 @076 by lakes » Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
Slix
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
#1 Poliwag Fan !poliwag masterJoined 2024!
« Reply #19 on: Spring, 13 Mar 2026 @624 » Embed

For my site I actually use fixed absolute positioning and margin widths for the center content div and the menu bars on the sides.  :omg:

I do have some of them automatically change based on screen size using the @media max-width CSS now, though. For a part of my site I just have a separate mobile and desktop version and swap between them based on the user-agent when the site first loads for the user.

This is mainly because I styled it many years ago before all the fancy HTML/CSS stuff existed and I've been too lazy to change it when it works just fine on nearly any browser that's been made in the last 15 years.

« Last Edit: Spring, 13 Mar 2026 @626 by Slix » Logged

https://a.poliwager.net/e/Slix.pnghttps://poliwager.net/advertising/images/PureAwesome.gif
candycanearter07
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


i like slimes
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!it's tbhchansey!Goomy, I Choose You!uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy Cane
« Reply #20 on: Spring, 14 Mar 2026 @242 » Toggle Font Embed

I prefer the super secret third option of using a grid layout.
Code
.container {
  display: grid;
  grid-template-columns: auto auto auto;
    padding: 10px;
}
@media only screen and (max-width: 600px) {
  body {background-repeat: repeat;}
  .item1 {grid-area: 1 / span 6;}
  .item2 {grid-area: 2 / span 6;}
  .item3 {grid-area: 3 / span 6;}
  .item4 {grid-area: 4 / span 6;}
  .item5 {grid-area: 5 / span 6;}
  .item6 {grid-area: 6 / span 6;}
}

In my opinion, grids kinda end up being too rigid to really work with, since it forces you to put everything in divs 3 layers down and it just feels completely off to me. I used to use grid in my old site but the jank involved is part of the reason why I jumped ship and rewrote everything on a seperate host.

Logged

new to oldnet be nice
https://status.cafe/users/candycanearter/badge.png https://abslimeware.neocities.org/assets/images/blinkers/penguins.gif

https://abslimeware.neocities.org/assets/images/blinkers/slimebounce.gif https://card.exophase.com/2/0/268504.png?1727352149

https://i.imgur.com/S1cx8ZZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/7ntZZGM.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/xKIpW2A.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

Artifact Swap: buzzystickerSootBlob Creature
Finnick the Aquacat
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
iMood: FinnicktheAquacat

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« Reply #21 on: Spring, 04 Apr 2026 @075 » Embed

secret third option: grids lol
both floats and flexboxes for me personally have been too janky for me to get them to work well on my site, grids just fulfill my layout design ideas much better and now that I understand how to use them I'm gonna be fixing up my site with them soon

Logged

http://internetometer.com/imagesmall/51640.png

Artifact Swap: Polyamorous
Pages: 1 [2] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe