Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @968.16
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :seal: Thank you for today! :seal: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Where do "web shrines" come from?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Where do "web shrines" come from?  (Read 933 times)
John
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


I have no idea what I'm doing.
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
funguyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!John Junior's Easter Egg 01John Junior's Easter Egg 02John Junior's Easter Egg 03
« on: Spring, 11 Apr 2026 @389 » Embed

Sorry for the strange question; I'm new to the indi web and during the old web days I was mostly browsing German sites, so I'm not very knowledgeable about international internet culture and lingo.

Now, I'd like to create a sub-page on my website about one of my favourite computer games, Morrowind, where I talk about the game world, show off my fan art and so on. This would be a web shrine, right? It's just that calling it a shrine sounds really ... foreign, strange, a bit awkward to me.

I know I'm under no obligation to use that lingo, but I'm curious about its origins and might come around to it, if I know more. Is it a new indi web term or was the concept around in old web days? This article from the 90s talks about web shrines, but describes them as memorials for deceased loved ones, places of solemn remembrance—not a page where I show off some fandom I'm part of.

Or am I mistaken about the nature of modern web shrines and what I'm planning doesn't qualify at all?

« Last Edit: Spring, 11 Apr 2026 @391 by John » Logged

Kind regards,
https://johnshomepage.neocities.org/John_Badge.gif

Artifact Swap: To the Moon!Mr. SuitERR_FILE_NOT_FOUNDWHACK!BLTStar Wars YodaGuitarlil wizwhere am i?sewingInkyshroomPearlRed Floppy DiskPencildithersnowy (for winter lovers)Minecraft VeteransunflowerI seek you!Book and Quill
grubbyfox
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: grubbyfox

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 11 Apr 2026 @600 » Embed

I dont know the actual history of shrines, and I dont remember it being called shrines either back in the early 00s. Maybe it was called shrines by the actual "community" but I didn't see that word around at least as a simple viewer of homepages.

But I guess it could have been called shrines or similar, and anecdotally what I thought/assumed/figured was the idea, was that you'd make a "shrine" for something either as an individual page, or you'd have one or more shrine-pages on your homepage.
And they were often sort of, works of art that you finished and left to be viewed as it was. So if it was a shrine to just like a tv series that ended, or a deceased pet, or like a boat or car or just something that you owned and loved etc. You'd make the shrine to your liking and then leave it as is. Obviously someone would re-do it from time to time, but afaik it wasn't supposed to be actively updated or worked on after being uploaded. Obviously there wasn't a rule against that, but at least that's what I picked up from just spotting these in the wild both back then and during the web revival era. It's a sort of place of rest/place of memory/place of thought/love etc so it kinda makes sense in my head at least that it was to be a finished piece of art, rather than how they'd update and work on other aspects of their website.

Idk if that many any sense. It was honestly rare that I came across "shrines" back then, but the ones I did, that was the vibe I was getting at least.

Logged
lakes
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 11 Apr 2026 @640 » Embed

I'm not sure where the term "web shrine" comes from. I've seen it a lot, but I personally prefer the term "fanpages" or "fansites" because it feels more straightforward to me. If I just say "shrine" to someone who's not into indie web stuff or are new to it, they might be confused.

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
John
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


I have no idea what I'm doing.
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
funguyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!John Junior's Easter Egg 01John Junior's Easter Egg 02John Junior's Easter Egg 03
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 11 Apr 2026 @707 » Embed

I think I'll probably go with 'Interests' as menu item and then have a couple of sub pages about different things I'm interested in.

Logged

Kind regards,
https://johnshomepage.neocities.org/John_Badge.gif

Artifact Swap: To the Moon!Mr. SuitERR_FILE_NOT_FOUNDWHACK!BLTStar Wars YodaGuitarlil wizwhere am i?sewingInkyshroomPearlRed Floppy DiskPencildithersnowy (for winter lovers)Minecraft VeteransunflowerI seek you!Book and Quill
Valery_04
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


Zero's girlfriend
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Nightrave (MMXOC, 8 bits)Joined 2026!
« Reply #4 on: Spring, 05 May 2026 @820 » Toggle Font Embed

There was a webshrine hosting service called "waifu.ist" that was a good tool for hosting interactive webshrines without having the harsh of paying Neocities supporter plan for enhancing the widgets and these things. Now the page is not found because the developer affirmed their computer stopped functioning and lost all the files of that page itself.

I hope there was a revival of waifu.ist because I finished a webshrine dedicated to my fav character and it actually has the WebAmp widget with a skin of the character and obviously the theme songs of the character that are such bangers. And I'm a Neocities user with free plan so the WebAmp goes without the skin  :sad:

Logged

https://file.garden/aTyH7uSsXSbubAjB/Val_logo-pixel.png
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe