Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 04 Oct 2026 - @577.64
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 423.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :sleep: These are fast times on the World Wide Web~ Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!
| | |-+  artists with carpal tunnel - advice?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: artists with carpal tunnel - advice?  (Read 325 times)
beetledragon3869
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
iMood: beetledragon3869

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!
« on: Summer, 03 Jul 2026 @092 » Embed

Hey yall! :-D Was hoping for advice from anyone that has carpal tunnel and has continued to draw while having it. I've tried to look up tips online, but half of them start with "this is to prevent carpal tunnel and will not help symptoms"... which, in my situation, it is already a little bit late for that, lol!!  :happy:  :dunno:

Are there any practices or stances you take while drawing to lessen the pain? Is wearing a brace while drawing helpful or harmful in the long run? I find that while I'm usually fine in the moment, the pain starts shortly after I finish whatever I'm doing. Would exercises help, or is that one of the things that's more preventative?

Wasn't sure if this should go in art or IRL life, and I can move it if this is the wrong spot. Thanks so much!!! <33333

Logged

hiii im beetle
clownvomitz
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


ouuugh owoowwww ouuuuughh
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: clownvomitz
iMood: clownvomitz
RSS: RSS
OS: Linux Mint

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2026!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 03 Jul 2026 @190 » Toggle Font Embed

I had carpal tunnel while i was in art school so i know the pain  :cry: so many assignments,,,

What I did was wear a wrist/hand brace through the WHOLE day and try to work on a larger canvas than usual with minimal zooming in. Reducing the bending in the wrists is the best thing for you. (i.e, instead of scribbling in small details try to zoom out and do it that way so you aren't wrist-flicking constantly) also if you're anything like me i'd recommend watching your grip on your pencil as i noticed a tighter grip = more pain, at least for me, though i grip my pencil like a vice so LOL.

also take FREQUENT BREAKS!!! even if you don't think you need to, TAKE A BREAK. work in short bursts with long rests.

good luck soldier and wishing a speedy recovery for ya

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/RGgGzR0L/image.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/7xmkD4kD/image.png
"sunrise, parabellum"
MediocreMetastasis
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Wishlist Skelecool: Remnants Please!!!
⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2025!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 03 Jul 2026 @199 » Toggle Font Embed

I have dysgraphia which hinders my fine motor skills. My hand starts to ache after a certain period of drawing or writing. Usually when my hand starts to ache I take a break and give my fingers a stretch and shake my hand out.
here's a finger stretch exercise I usually do


You could also try doing more larger strokes with your pen so you use your arm or shoulder instead of your wrist.

I hope this advice helps. These are tips I use so they might not be of use to you.

Logged


Artifact Swap: Sad DoggoNeutral Doggo
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe