Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @968.12
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :seal: Thank you for today! :seal: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  The Page With No Code


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: The Page With No Code  (Read 1237 times)
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« on: Spring, 17 Apr 2026 @845 » Toggle Font Embed

I accidentally came across a stupid experiment I did back in 2023. It's called The Page With No Code.

It's a Web page that looks like this:


https://bcdn.danq.me/_q23u/2023/01/the-page-with-no-code-screenshot-980x551.png

But if you "View Source", it has no code whatsoever. Whaaa?

https://danq.me/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/Screenshot-2026-04-17-at-20.14.55.png

Sadly nowadays it only works in Firefox.

The "black magic" it uses is as follows:


  • Your browser gets a blank page, which it assumes is a typo so it treats it as if it says <html><head></head><body></body></html>
  • The server sends a Link: header which delivers (or references, now, to work around a different bug that turned up one day) some CSS.
  • That CSS uses ::before, ::after, and content: '...' to "fake" the content!

Anyway: I enjoyed re-discovering this stupid experiment and thought you might enjoy it too. I wrote more about it here.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
lakes
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 17 Apr 2026 @855 » Embed

The page doesn't look how I thought it would.
I thought it'd look like those "black text on white" minimal websites you'd sometimes see either on the indie web now or in the 90s.

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/gbj9yhcZ/userbar-1.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/C3KKzjyx/Computeruser.png
https://i.ibb.co/zhKYtXts/Librebar-X.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/b5mC7H6H/DVDUser.png
https://i.ibb.co/GfCkM0g1/soulseekuserbar.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/0jRYyw7R/Trash-User.png
https://i.ibb.co/gLNfFjqc/098.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/QjqVW8xT/xfceuserbar.png
virtualpet2001
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


getting hard to be someone but it all works out
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2026!Water Creature
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 18 Apr 2026 @847 » Toggle Font Embed

This is fun, I figured out it was css but i didn't know that the server could hand it to you without it being specified in the html itself
out of curiosity, what part of the equation makes this only work in firefox? does "now" imply that it worked in more browsers when you first made it???

Logged

https://cloudgazer.neocities.org/links/cloudgazer.png
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 18 Apr 2026 @909 » Toggle Font Embed

what part of the equation makes this only work in firefox? does "now" imply that it worked in more browsers when you first made it???

To deliver the CSS without having a <link> or <style> tag (which would require HTML code!), I use a Link: HTTP header. In the initial version, I just sent Link: <data:...>; rel="stylesheet", containing a Base64-encoded copy of the CSS, but I had to change it a few years later when I switched webserver software and my new webserver software couldn't cope with headers that long! So now it passes a URL to a CSS file in the Link: header instead.

But specifying CSS using a Link: header wasn't ever widely supported. Firefox and its derivatives is the only mainstream browser left that does so (though I think pre-Blink Opera could do it too). I was so excited when I thought of it, because there are all kinds of interesting things you could do with Link:-based CSS, but sadly it looks like Chromium-based browsers aren't ever going to support it anyway.

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
Rubbereon
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
OS: Linux 🐧

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
NoSmoking!Hope, the silliest ink kittayyVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Joined 2025!
« Reply #4 on: Spring, 24 Apr 2026 @949 » Embed

My first thought seeing this was "Can ai chatbots parse this?!" if it's a 'no', I would very much love to do what you did (although the html will be filled with code instead of completely empty, divs, spans, all of that sweet stuff)

The only problem would be seo because crawlers likely also resort to reading the html content itself, but given that my website barely shows up in search results as it is I'm not sure if I should care.

Logged

https://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20695.gifFuzzy fwiendhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20696.gifhttps://bettysgraphics.neocities.org/images/animals/cat%20697.gif
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gifLinux userhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/penguin.gif
↓ All my web profiles are available on this website ↓
https://fursona.directory/@rubbereon :goL:
https://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/tabs.gifhttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/idiotsticker.pnghttps://rubbereon.nekoweb.org/img/iblockads.gif

Artifact Swap: pearl yappin kittayGreen SpiffoJust CheeseCourage smiley
poesu
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


So many links, so little time
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
THE tieTriple HornsDevil HornsDevil Cursor TailStripey ScarfFrom Tuffy with ❤️
« Reply #5 on: Summer, 26 Jun 2026 @357 » Toggle Font Embed

It doesn't work right now  :notgood: What happened?

Logged

https://poesu.neocities.org/images/my_button.pnghttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/no_squircle.webphttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/accessibility.webp

Artifact Swap: SquirrelThis artifact is invisibleAda the ButterflyWhite-Winged Scoter<html>I met Dan Q on Melonland!Icecream sundaeender pearl yappin kittayDripping inkyshroomoupyShang Mu AcademyfunguyPhone's Ringing!Pastel eyebatAmerican CrowLarge watercraftKitty KittyLollipopPink camera flashEyeSeeYou
Dan Q
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


I have no idea what I am doing
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Dan Q Cruisin'I DIDN'T meet Dan Q on Melonland!Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!
« Reply #6 on: Summer, 04 Jul 2026 @375 » Toggle Font Embed

It doesn't work right now  :notgood: What happened?

Works fine for me. What browser are you using? Note that it only promises support for Firefox...

Logged

https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-lighter.gif https://danq.me/_q26t/badges/dan-q-88x31-peekaboo-scroller.gif https://beige-buttons.danq.dev/beige-buttons-88x31.gif https://embed-html.danq.dev/embed-html-88x31.gif

Artifact Swap: PolyamorousI met Dan Q on Melonland!Joined 2025!
poesu
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWWArt


So many links, so little time
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
THE tieTriple HornsDevil HornsDevil Cursor TailStripey ScarfFrom Tuffy with ❤️
« Reply #7 on: Summer, 04 Jul 2026 @620 » Toggle Font Embed

I remember first opening it in Brave, and it worked, weird! Opened in Librewolf, and yep, it works fine there. Sorry!

Logged

https://poesu.neocities.org/images/my_button.pnghttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/no_squircle.webphttps://poesu.neocities.org/buttons/88x31/accessibility.webp

Artifact Swap: SquirrelThis artifact is invisibleAda the ButterflyWhite-Winged Scoter<html>I met Dan Q on Melonland!Icecream sundaeender pearl yappin kittayDripping inkyshroomoupyShang Mu AcademyfunguyPhone's Ringing!Pastel eyebatAmerican CrowLarge watercraftKitty KittyLollipopPink camera flashEyeSeeYou
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe