I maintain both an RSS and Atom feed for reasons unknown to even myself, but something I've noticed is that Atom feeds are just not popular at all from what I've seen.
I think the reason why is because there's a surprising lack of
anything that talks about Atom feeds or explains how to make one besides using a static site generator. It makes me pretty sad because Atom feeds support relative URLs which is a huge plus for me!
The only tutorial I could find used invalid markup as an example which made my feed unusable, and the other page I could find was the
W3C page about it, which is nice, but it'd be really nice to also see more cool guides about how to make an Atom feed, which I did
make one, but still. :'(
I do admit that RSS is easier to use overall, though. You dont have to create a specific type of ID, and then try to figure out the weird format you have to use for the date, and stuff like that. There also aren't as many tools like
RuSShdown for Atom (or I haven't seen any. Sigh.)
Anyways, enough rambling. Let me know your thoughts! If I had to choose between the two, I'd say Atom.