Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 02 Oct 2026 - @921.37
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~ Guild Events: TIME FOR HALLOWEEN CRAFTS!
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Blog engines?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Blog engines?  (Read 3375 times)
Memory
Guest

« on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @581 » Embed

What blog engines have people been using? Whats your experience with them?
(self-hosting only please, no tumblr or livejournal :dog: )

I know of wordpress but I am looking for other options.

Logged
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


the great
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: sigmatic

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @618 » Toggle Font Embed

I've got Zonelets set up on my site: have not actually made any posts yet, but it's there. It's very lightweight (it's just some HTML and Javascript, and not much of it at that) but if it's all you need I can recommend it.

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/cQ4jGPp/chainsaw.png           
The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Memory
Guest

« Reply #2 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @627 » Embed

[removed by author]

« Last Edit: Summer, 31 Jul 2024 @614 by Memory » Logged
TheFrugalGamer
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
See A Bug Summer 2025 ParticipantGreat Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @664 » Toggle Font Embed

I purposely wanted to try alternatives to Wordpress and went with Serendipity. It's pretty good, but there's obviously not as much support for it, so if you're looking for a wide variety of plugins you may not be able to find them here. So far it's been able to do pretty much everything I wanted it to do, though.

Logged


Artifact Swap: Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Pink TulipEmerald OreAquamarine
RodFireProductions
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


🍄🖤🐀
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: rodfire8181
iMood: rodfire8181
Itch.io: My Games

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @750 » Embed

There's Jekyll, a static site generator. It has a lot of blog themes and templates.

I actually made a blog template myself called DeadLogs. It's similar to Zonelets. It's HTML and JavaScript based. The JavaScript for the navigation.

Logged

https://shroom.ink/images/buttons/Shroom.Ink.gif — we art, web dev, and game dev — https://shroom.ink/images/buttons/DeadInsideArtist.Art.gif
Memory
Guest

« Reply #5 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @792 » Embed

On my website I mainly use bashblog. It's basically a small blog generator script made in Bash and it's pretty good and easy for use. It also has Markdown support but requires you to download this Perl script and drop it in the folder where you have bashblog installed. Simply generate a blog in your local computer (in case you're on Linux or if you have bash installed) and move all the files you have made in the script to your website and you're done.

« Last Edit: Spring, 25 Mar 2023 @605 by Memory » Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #6 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @819 » Toggle Font Embed

I'm a big fan of Textpattern (I use it for my blog) - it's well-established, it integrates well with most blog publishing software, and overall it's extremely fast and lightweight. On top of that, it's easy to theme and modify with basic HTML and CSS knowledge; Iv found the community of developers to be excellent and supportive. Overall I think this should be the goto blogging platform for most people instead of WordPress with is a bloated painful mess in comparison  :tongue:

https://textpattern.com/

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
doubleincision
Sr. Member
****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
iMood: doubleincision

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @928 » Embed

i've been using FlatPress on my site and i like it. it saves the entries as .txt files, which i like :smile:

Logged

https://i.imgur.com/VboGEkt.gif

Memory
Guest

« Reply #8 on: Spring, 21 Mar 2023 @504 » Embed

I just write static blog pages and link to them in a hub. I don't like running an entire program just to put writing in hypertext.

Logged
Tiffany
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: Spring, 21 Mar 2023 @919 » Embed

I've been using WordPress since 2011, I mostly find that it does everything I need it to do, it's easy to work on my site without going through the Cpanel, and I think since I've been using it for so long I am attached, if I were to change it would probably be to the alternative version of WP which is ClassicPress.

Logged

debleb
Sr. Member
****
View Profile WWW


He/him, scaley tailey dragon
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Goose!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: Spring, 29 Mar 2023 @423 » Toggle Font Embed

personally for my blog, i just use some code from sadgrl.online that hides certain divs until a link to them is clicked to make my blog! its a pretty simple way to make a blog on just one page, only issue is the .html file is pretty long without anything collapsed  :dunno:

Logged

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

https://dragcave.net/image/JeJE6.gifhttps://dragcave.net/image/MVIQA.gifhttps://dragcave.net/image/j3sRH.gif
drakonic
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Tiny Birthday DragonJoined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: Spring, 01 Apr 2023 @884 » Toggle Font Embed

There's Jekyll, a static site generator. It has a lot of blog themes and templates.

I second Jekyll!
First I just used it as a way to automatically insert templates like a navigation header for my pages, now I use it for blogging too. It can do a lot of things automatically, like generate an RSS feed, and you have easy control over everything.

Downside with static site generators is they can be less convienient than a CMS. This plugin for Jekyll is a lifesaver for me, makes making blog posts and other pages so much less of a bother

Logged

https://drakonic.zone/forumsig/899.jpg
https://drakonic.zone/forumsig/45283.jpg
https://drakonic.zone/forumsig/32125.png
https://drakonic.zone/forumsig/7301.png
https://files.catbox.moe/0zvvmx.gif
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe