Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 29 Sep 2026 - @647.00
Forum Activity: Three Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :sleep: These are fast times on the World Wide Web~ Guild Events: Halloween Watch-a-thon
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Earth & Interests
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Junji Ito Maniac


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Junji Ito Maniac  (Read 2735 times)
wris
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


Safe when used as directed.
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: Winter, 01 Feb 2023 @192 » Embed

I've been watching this on Netflix over the past couple days. I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying it, I obviously haven't stopped, so.

I've been passingly familiar with Junji Ito's work from the live action adaptations and the very bizarre Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack but this show seems to be anime adaptations of his much shorter stories.

The visuals are gross, but somehow I think less gross than in the manga. The drawing definitely seems less detailed in the show, which I guess is an animation/budget constraint.

Anyone else watching it? What do you think?

Logged
creaturefeature
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: Winter, 04 Feb 2023 @005 » Embed

I dunno, I feel its more lackluster due to the limited animation, to be fair, junji ito style seems to be hard to pull off in animation. I can only hope they finally get around to making uzumaki since it shows some promise

Logged


https://i.postimg.cc/dDbL6KhC/tumblr-d5439d978b3c6b781d96727e97fd9398-3bdaa8b9-540.jpg
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


the great
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: sigmatic

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: Winter, 04 Feb 2023 @502 » Toggle Font Embed

I haven't watched it yet but the history of Junji Ito anime is pretty rocky, so my expectations weren't very high in the first place :ohdear: His unique and striking style is just very hard to replicate in animation, I guess!

Logged

https://i.ibb.co/cQ4jGPp/chainsaw.png           
The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Cele
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: Winter, 08 Feb 2023 @357 » Toggle Font Embed

I watched it. Hmm, I haven't read them as manga but I bet they're way scarier in that form. This anime's quality was pretty average animation wise, but well, it would've been better if it was higher than average and that's what it would've needed imo.

Logged

https://64.media.tumblr.com/f339750d47b841f86b411f210c89bc48/a3f9ac693d24060d-e8/s400x600/2fce684b29380077b902465628201ec7b63f98ff.png
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/userbar/7fa851235decd83fb1f04728a2473956.png
http://www.tiptopglobe.com/userbar/f082aecc2519321c0a13c39f701907bf.png
https://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/gothorita.gif
bugholder's epiphany
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


why do they call it oven
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: Winter, 08 Feb 2023 @946 » Toggle Font Embed

First i've heard of it, might give it a cursory glance later. I know there was a previous attempt at an anime of Junji Ito's works that was rather mediocre unfortunately.

On the plus side, I'm excited for the upcoming Uzumaki adaptation. That one looks like it'll be really friggin good.

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #5 on: Summer, 23 Jun 2024 @097 » Embed

I'm a huge Junji Ito fan and I really wasn't pleased with this series tbh.  :ziped:

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #6 on: Summer, 23 Jun 2024 @176 » Embed

i liked it! i like his manga and have read a bunch of it, though not all of it yet, and i liked both maniac and the junji ito collection anime. i've heard a lot of people don't like either, though, including apparently the folks here! i'm curious to hear what about it specifically people didn't like, since i just had a fun time and nothing stood out to me as especially off or subpar or anything.

my favorite episode was the layers of fear + the thing that washed ashore episode. what a great combo of gross stories! :ha: but soichi is always a delight, too, so his stories were really fun... i think he translates really well to anime form, since he's got such an annoying voice and is always cackling and such. and i actually like the sandman's lair a bit more in anime form than in manga! it was a bit yuckier in the anime, i thought.

the upcoming uzumaki anime seems very stylish!

Logged
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe