Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @280.06 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Keeping motivation to code?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keeping motivation to code?  (Read 509 times)
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« on: February 03, 2023 @674.84 »

As any other interest/hobby of mine it has a learning curve to it as well :notgood: which has left me kinda stagnant on developing my website.

What keeps you guys motivated and help you code your website to your best vision?? :pc: :pc:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023 @680.00 »

It helps me to keep track of the things I want to implement and knock them down one at a time, but above all it helps me not to sweat the small stuff: if I get caught up in the tiniest of details to get it just right then at some point it's just not going to happen at all, so I try to go for the next best thing if I feel like it's going nowhere. Now if I was working on some very crucial code I might put in a little more elbow grease but working on my personal website is a For Fun thing so I'll just do whatever I want :ha: :pc:

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023 @684.58 »

it helps me not to sweat the small stuff: if I get caught up in the tiniest of details to get it just right then at some point it's just not going to happen at all, so I try to go for the next best thing if I feel like it's going nowhere.

:drat: :drat: I have a serious issue with making it look Perfect, one time i spent forever trying to center a text inside a body and it just couldn't work, it took me several days that i practically gave up :':wink:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023 @690.93 »

Im very creatively competitive; Im always browsing around going like "OH thats cool.. but MAYBE it could be cooler if I did it like THIS!" Or.. "wow they totally did something I didn't think of.. I wanna try do something like that my own way". Or simply.. "I really enjoy this kind of content on this site - I wanna try add more content like it to my own!"

When I arrived in Neocities, I already had a lot of web knowledge, but its grown so much more since then (Particularly my JavaScript knowledge) - so every few months I might return to a project with new knowledge and suddenly Im able to do more than was possible in the past - that always pushes me to rework pages and do things even better.

I know many people like to just make sites for themselves.. but its way more fun if theres a bit of healthy rivalry too (both between other people and with your past self) :grin: - Id like to see more people challenge themselves!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
luna
Casual Poster

૮( ˶ᵔ ᵕ ᵔ˶ )ა

iMood: oatmilk

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023 @920.52 »

:drat: :drat: I have a serious issue with making it look Perfect, one time i spent forever trying to center a text inside a body and it just couldn't work, it took me several days that i practically gave up :':wink:
i'm the same way with wanting things to be perfect.
something that has helped me is thinking of my website not as a complete, perfectly packaged Thing but as an ever-changing, ever-evolving space.

and it's okay if a page design isn't 100% my vision (or even if my vision is unclear / needs more fidelity), because ultimately i'm going to update it tomorrow or the next day or whenever the inspiration strikes me.

:unite:

I know many people like to just make sites for themselves.. but its way more fun if theres a bit of healthy rivalry too (both between other people and with your past self) :grin: - Id like to see more people challenge themselves!

yes! i love going against my past self (in a nice way :grin:smile: and building on things my past self did. it's wonderful to see growth over time :ha:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023 @922.72 by luna » Logged

:4u:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023 @505.23 »

One important thing I learned was to not end a coding session with open issues. That'll make it much harder to get motivation next time.
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023 @772.11 »

I'm not entirely sure if this will help, but I've found that I have more motivation when I allow a new page or feature to be a very simplified and rough version of what it might eventually be. Being able to look at what I've already done helps a lot with making a clearer and less overwhelming image of what I can actually do with it. Eventually that leads me to stay up until 2:00AM adding on to it sometimes, but.. I guess that's better than nothing(?).

Also-- I have some problems with perfectionism as well. Reminding myself that nothing on my site is guaranteed to be final sort of manipulates it into being a productive trait rather that one that encourages me to procrastinate because I feel everything has to be "perfect" on the first try. It's also good to rough out what you want to add or do on paper so executing it in html and all that isn't as much of a mindfuck :ohdear: I've got an example of what that looks like for me below.

(By the way, I would genuinely love to help out with any problems you come across if you get stuck. I'm still trying to figure out coding, too, but my luck with troubleshooting hasn't been too horrendous so far..)

* P1010015.JPG (202.04 kB, 904x1148 - viewed 34 times.)

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Deltarune Chapter 2 and The Goner Code

Started by DoctorScreechBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 2482
Last post December 03, 2021 @256.40
by DoctorScreech
What do you use to code websites?

Started by neoratzBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 62
Views: 5179
Last post October 29, 2023 @752.06
by wetnoodle
keeping blog posts, site updates, and project updates separate and organized

Started by Frost SheridanBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 2
Views: 474
Last post February 02, 2023 @490.36
by Gans

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi