Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @887.48 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings
| | | |-+  Physical Mail Penpalling Ring

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Physical Mail Penpalling Ring  (Read 631 times)
« on: February 09, 2023 @976.59 »

Hey there!

As many people on this site will also probably share an interest in traditional and more personal methods of communication, I have been thinking about organizing a penpals' ring for physical mail: in other words, people sending each other actual letters as communication, becoming friends, chatting about their lives, or even customizing their little letters with stickers and drawings!
:4u:

The obvious problem of course is sharing one's physical mailing address publicly: for one nobody wants to doxx oneself, some people also live with their parents and/or in unsafe situations and cannot receive mail, and some others might feel queasy with the idea in general.
I don't know how to absolutely solve any of these issues, but I have ideas as how to limit these problems and I have come up with this club as a result.

Guideline 1) If possible, get a post office box ("Postfach" in DACH countries) to receive mail in. It's usually pretty cheap. With a post office box, nobody knows your home address, only the anonymous number.
Guideline 2) Either way, with or without a post box, do not post your address publicly in the forum. Anyone can see it that way. Instead, post an introduction like detailed below and wait for people to contact you in private; you can then choose whether you give out your address to them.
Guideline 3) Consider who requests your contact info. If it is a very new member without much information attached, or anyone who gives you bad vibes, think twice before sharing your address. It's always okay to say no.

I'd recommend following the format below to post an introduction in this topic's replies; and then just wait for people to hit you up:

Name: Elliot Example
Country/Region: Example Country, Europe
Topics I'd like to talk about: I want to chat about video games, anime and floristics. Serious emotional topics make me sad, so not those please.
People I'd like to meet: I prefer to talk to adults only because I feel uncomfortable talking to minors. I'm excited to meet people from countries outside Europe too!

So, TL; DR: Post a reply in this thread if you're up for penpaling with people on this forum using the introduction format above, and then just wait for people to hit you up! Happy penpaling! =)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023 @684.17 by /home/user/ » Logged
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023 @978.41 »

I'll begin:

Name: Lian
People I'd like to meet: I like making connections to all kinds of people. Anyone is welcome!
Topics I'd like to talk about: Other than our common interest, the retro web, I am also up for or talking about your hobbies or mine (linguistics, retro tech, music, languages, world-building, writing, fan-fiction, ...), deeper topics, our day to day lives, relationships, friendships, and anything that might be shared only with a sixth grade diary. Honestly I'm up for anything!

:transport:
SilkSkull

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023 @71.60 »

This seems super cool, I'd love to get involved especially if a proper webring gets set up!
Name: Dahlia
Topics I'd like to talk about: Zines, retro gaming, art, music, cool creatures, anime, tech, TTRPG's and of course, the old web!
People I'd like to meet: Anyone! It would be cool to chat with someone outside of Canada but I'd love to talk to anyone!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023 @107.43 »

I love this idea! I’m in!

Name: Marco
People I'd like to meet: I’d preferably want to meet someone I can practice Italian or Gaelic with, but I’m up for meeting anyone!
Topics I'd like to talk about: Retro tech & media, languages, cultures, the 80s and 90s, robotics, friendships, relationships, robotics, anything really!

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

You've Got Mail!

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 6
Views: 2018
Last post January 26, 2022 @994.77
by dokodemo
I started a webring: Retroweb Ring

Started by BradEBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 2
Views: 1305
Last post June 27, 2022 @743.02
by BradE
Weird mappy webring-but-actually-its-a-map-ring??

Started by ggnoniconBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 2
Views: 828
Last post August 03, 2022 @546.38
by dantescanline

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi