Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @939.73 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 37/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Internet Slang of Yesteryear

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Internet Slang of Yesteryear  (Read 2970 times)
ivy
Casual Poster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2023 @89.59 »

XD is good. When my friends text me XD I feel comfort. When they text lol I feel the opposite.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023 @540.59 »

I still occasionally use the word "
grok
", but I haven't seen it used much in decades.

So, for your convenience:

grok (v.)
1. to understand sth. or sb. intuitively
2. to grasp sth.'s or sb.'s essence, meaning or reason

Example 1: "Plenty of newer TTRPG players don't grok the concept of old-school dungeon crawlers and why characters should not be powerful super-heroes all of the time."
Example 2: "It took me a long time to grok the Tcl programming language, but now I can't go back to anything else!"
Example 3: "He didn't grok Julian Bashir, like, at all, so we just wouldn't fit with each other."
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023 @601.50 »

I still occasionally use the word "
grok
"
HOW'D YOU DO THAT  :TnT:  :TnT: you are speaking in fluent earthbound

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023 @614.06 »

HOW'D YOU DO THAT  :TnT:  :TnT: you are speaking in fluent earthbound

The BBCode editor has been updated recently! The disk-looking button in the top row (above the smileys) makes things
spin
!

There's also blinking and moving!
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023 @667.97 »

WOWEE

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023 @675.65 »

WOWEE

The FitnessGram Pacer test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter Pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly, but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal *boop*. A single lap should be completed each time you hear this sound *ding*. Remember to run in a straight line, and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark, get ready, start.

debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2023 @479.84 »

The BBCode editor has been updated recently! The disk-looking button in the top row (above the smileys) makes things
spin
!

There's also blinking and moving!

WHAAAAAT?!
COOL!

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2023 @115.53 »

POV: You’re about to put on your favourite album

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2023 @430.75 »

I think another piece of slang is "netizen". I always kind of liked that.
Zusk
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: zusk

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2023 @476.12 »

Been reading Master's of Doom recently, here is a few things I have pulled from that:
Back in the 90's. The term "The Information Super Highway" was actually pretty common!  :transport:

Also, here's a special one. A list of all - mostly - defunct terms from back in the early days of MIT's CIT department. A relic from that really oldschool, vintage 'hacker' culture that's mostly gone now.

https://www.dourish.com/goodies/jargon.html
moon
Casual Poster

a powerful witch

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2023 @151.52 »

*glomps u*

ohhhhh goodness that takes me back  :pc:

the main ones i remember off the top of my head have to do with stealing other people's graphics, layouts, photos etc. if you stole someone else's stuff you were a "biter" and people put warnings on their splash pages "no biters" "no sticky paws".

oh and we called ourselves webmistresses.
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2023 @152.93 »

I haven't seen the term "Grebo" in ages xD

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2023 @437.56 »

webmistresses
I knew a nonbinary creator who went by webmattress.
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2023 @841.56 »

not exactly slang, but you generally can tell how old any particular netizen (i love that word) is by whether they say "username", "account", "login", "handle", etc to refer to the same concept :grin:

also, remember when we used to attach the -ie/-y suffix to everything online? signatures were Siggies, affiliates were Affies, links got called Linkies—user A would say "i found this cool website", and user B would say "linkies?" to mean can you share the link? on Neopets, it was a common thing for people to keep a gallery of screenshots of funny or weird things they saw around the website, and even the word "screenshots" became Screenies. everything had to have that cutesy little suffix on it. can't say i miss that, i always thought it was annoying hahaha

some other ones that were once super common, but i never see anymore:
  • OMGWTFBBQ: "oh my god, what the fuck, barbecue". it basically just meant a particularly excited "OMFG", and it was often used in the same way as ZOMG, to make fun of people who would overuse OMFG.
  • jaggies: this one was used a lot in pixel art spaces. jaggies are extra pixels that make the pixel art look jagged and are/were considered aesthetically unappealing. i'm working on a pixel art piece right now so that's why i was thinking of this one :p
  • w00t: it's like woo! yay! yippee! hurray!
  • pwning: this was back when people used to say "owned" to mean, like, someone got one over on you. you're playing Smash with your school buddy, he wins, he says i just totally OWNED your ass! but online, in the heat of the moment, people would typo owned as pwned, and because typos are always funny, it became its own slang word!

Been reading Master's of Doom recently, here is a few things I have pulled from that:
Back in the 90's. The term "The Information Super Highway" was actually pretty common!  :transport:

Also, here's a special one. A list of all - mostly - defunct terms from back in the early days of MIT's CIT department. A relic from that really oldschool, vintage 'hacker' culture that's mostly gone now.

https://www.dourish.com/goodies/jargon.html

i love the phrase Information Super Highway, it makes the internet sound so radical and cool lol

that jargon.txt page is amazing. i would love to see real-life examples of these words being used, because there's so much here that it's basically its own dialect of English! i have to wonder if people in this little subculture actually spoke like that, or if there's some degree of comedic exaggeration being done, here. i think we should bring this particular term back into regular use:

HUNGUS (hung'ghis) [perhaps related to current slang "humongous"; which one came first (if either) is unclear] adj. Large, unwieldy, usually unmanageable. "TCP is a hungus piece of code." "This is a hungus set of modifications."

bingus_baby
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2023 @58.84 »

I'm just glad were past the era of people saying 'lol' out loud, in real life, to be honest  :ok:

*sweats profusely* y-yeah... we're past that...
Okay, I'll be honest, I never sopped saying "lmao" out loud, and my friends *did* call me out on it. But I do not care, and I still say it lmao (As well as end nearly every sentence with it to indicate a more light-hearted tone, sort of like primitive tone indicators.)

Anyways!! On topic!! I like to use the "only slightly outdated enough to be not cool but also not ironically cool" internet slang and little emoticons. I've been using :3 a bit too much since the "holy bingle" meme popped up, and I've also started to bring back ;;;;;; which I think might have been popular with certain people around 2016? It was heavily used in Mystic Messenger, so I see it as sort of a callback to my degenerate past! I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I've also become numb to most of my typing quirks lmao

And for words, it rotates. But I'll be scrolling through old iCloud backups from years ago and see a meme or two I forgot about and start referencing it a bit too much. I'm the kind of person to choose a word to use non-stop for a week before tossin' it back into the closet to rediscover years later! This was another thing my friends would call me out on. Trust me, it gets annoying when I find a cool, new word.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 17
Views: 3720
Last post April 21, 2023 @795.87
by Guest
Gemini, an internet protocol

Started by m15oBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 16
Views: 3319
Last post April 19, 2024 @292.67
by arcus
I miss the old internet-but I never experienced it.

Started by syx (dead)Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 13
Views: 2213
Last post October 08, 2022 @645.95
by manpaint

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi