Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @547.99 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Internet Slang of Yesteryear

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Internet Slang of Yesteryear  (Read 2974 times)
CyberCat2000
Casual Poster

Astral Dragon Mech Pilot

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: cybercat2000

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2023 @67.86 »

I realize that despite instant messaging becoming a lot more commonplace in this day and age... does anyone even use that term, or its abbreviation, "IM"? It's a little odd that the act of "IMing" someone is somehow more commonplace than the term "IMing"...

Necrosia
Full Member ⚓︎

Lord of the Labyrinth

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Welcome Soup!Joined 2023!
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2023 @113.63 »

A bit niche of the old web pixel dolling community but...

- Muse, an original character someone draws or pixel constantly. The term 'OC' was not popular back then!

- Sister, or the less popular gender neutral Sibling. A close friend from the dolling community, people would have a special section of their websites to list and talk about their siblings.

- Frankendolling, cutting a piece from someone's pixel art to use on your own art.

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2023 @128.95 »

- Frankendolling, cutting a piece from someone's pixel art to use on your own art.

oh YES haha I remember frankendolling a lot back when i was a kid duude.. that just envoked a strong memory! i think frankendolling itself is an interesting skill to achieve xD its like virtual scrap booking in a way

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023 @466.60 »

- Muse, an original character someone draws or pixel constantly. The term 'OC' was not popular back then!

- Sister, or the less popular gender neutral Sibling. A close friend from the dolling community, people would have a special section of their websites to list and talk about their siblings.

the term "muse" is also tied to the online roleplay community with basically the same use-- your muse is the character you RP as. i can only assume that the dolling community adopted the word from the RP community! which would make sense; dolling and RP always had connections to each other, with how often you would see people making dolls of their original characters. i remember some people used to use the Candybar dollmaker on eLouai to illustrate their OCs as well.

i also remember frankendolling seeming like the most heinous crime back then, haha. the 00s internet was truly the Wild West of people finding creative ways to steal art! now we've just got tech dudes telling an AI to do it for them-- back then the art thieves at least put some effort into it :ok:

I realize that despite instant messaging becoming a lot more commonplace in this day and age... does anyone even use that term, or its abbreviation, "IM"? It's a little odd that the act of "IMing" someone is somehow more commonplace than the term "IMing"...

i still call it IMing! in my mind there's a distinction between IMing and DMing: IMing is for one-on-one conversation within chat clients like Discord or Telegram, and DMing is for one-on-one discussion on social media and forums. a group chat, however, is referred to as neither a DM or an IM, and is simply a group chat. these are the arbitrary rules my brain has decided to follow :grin:

lulu
Casual Poster ⚓︎

if it stops i'm havin' a bad dream

StatusCafe: lulu
iMood: WILDLIFE

View Profile WWW

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2023 @827.40 »

I was thinking about g2g recently and how it's not really something I see anymore, or the concept of "logging off". is brb a Thing? or do people just carry their conversations into the bathroom with them?

i like the Concept of g2g and logging off in general even tho teen me would be all in for a mini computer I could take to bed with me

aaah g2g, my mom wants to me to touch grass  -_- bbl
j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2023 @862.03 »

I was thinking about g2g recently and how it's not really something I see anymore, or the concept of "logging off". is brb a Thing? or do people just carry their conversations into the bathroom with them?

i like the Concept of g2g and logging off in general even tho teen me would be all in for a mini computer I could take to bed with me

it's definitely still a thing in the gaming community!

interesting to see the spelling of it, too - "g2g" feels very SMSy / 1337speek to me whereas im used to using "gtg". thinking about it though, i definitely prefer "g2g", might adopt that in my digitalese

i go by j, she/they :)
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2023 @808.95 »

as An Old, i still use "brb", "afk", and sometimes "g2g", although i never really used g2g that much even when it was a common phrase? i've always preferred "brb", and the longer i intended to be away, the funnier it was to say brb. i still do this. like "brb gotta go clock in for work" and i don't return to the conversation until 9 hours later. or just ending a whole conversation or post with "brb", i love doing that :grin: also, i do take my conversations into the bathroom, but i'll say "brb gotta pee" and then keep talking anyway while peeing!

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2024 @613.46 »

When looking through old browser menus (old Opera, Mosaic, early Netscape probably as well), there is no tab for "Favourites".

It's called "Hotlist" instead!

Don't burn your fingers on your favourite sites.
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2024 @748.10 »

i dont know if these are still common but i remember the terms "Brony" and "Pegasister" were used for fans of MLP. i also remember shit like "wubz" for the sound of thick dubstep bass, and also leet or L33T for "elite". damn they really like putting numbers in words back then to be cool, like they would call it a 360 n05c0p3 instead of a 360 noscope. damn that shit was wild

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2024 @750.80 »

as An Old, i still use "brb", "afk", and sometimes "g2g", although i never really used g2g that much even when it was a common phrase? i've always preferred "brb", and the longer i intended to be away, the funnier it was to say brb. i still do this. like "brb gotta go clock in for work" and i don't return to the conversation until 9 hours later. or just ending a whole conversation or post with "brb", i love doing that :grin: also, i do take my conversations into the bathroom, but i'll say "brb gotta pee" and then keep talking anyway while peeing!

We still use AFK in MMORPGs like Final Fantasy XIV. Not to mention "brb", but instead of "gotta pee" we just say "bio".

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2024 @792.64 »

My dad was a huuuge computer nerd back in the day (he still is, lol he literally fixes and builds arcade machines and pinballs  :ok:  :ok: ) because of our age gap he has a lot of phrases similar like this from online or weird online references.
For a long time he was referencing the uh strongbad popular girls skit where they go "SOOO GOOD!!" but i had no idea because his impression was so bad but i was used to hearing him say that all the damn time  :drat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJsqv3JStWI

one of the more prominent ones is definitely LEET culture, it made a comeback because of homestuck but its just not nearly the same as it was before. one day at mcdonalds we got a receipt and the number was like "1337" and my dad was just sooo excited that it was that number (because it looks like leet)  :tongue:  :tongue:

you can find a lot of grand examples of l33tspeak on the imood forums in like 2001 if you backread enough. there is a key difference between past leetspeak compared to present day leetspeak but im not sure how to put it into words other than "homestuckification" ?? ??  :dunno:  :dunno:

LMAO i literally say that "soooo good" probably like twice a week! it's ingrained in me. Literally so many of my daily quotes are from Teen Girl Squad. I was a teenager back when it came out, hahahah!

Me and my friends used leetspeak "for the lolz", we also used to write ~lels~ and similar instead of lol, like lels, lolz, lol, preferably with like a ~ here and there. and "kewl" instead of cool. It was kinda in an ironic fashion, but not in a "i'm better than it and just using it ironically." But more like...idk? Just for fun? We def didn't think we were COOL/kewl doing it, haha, but it was just funny. We would also say/write things wrong, like pr0n, and we'd say "pron" instead of, well, ya know, haha.

we also loved writing stuff like.... instead of typing a heart like <3 we'd write "less than three", and writing something like "less than thre!!!1!!one!!" was completely normal, ahaha.  :transport: good times

Karin
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2024 @979.38 »

Ooh, as an old doller that takes me back! I remember doing art trades and commissions of other people's muses and trying to come up with my own. The dolling community was so much fun. :D

xero333

StatusCafe: xero333
iMood: xero333
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2024 @580.09 »

Off the  top of my head, "lol" was probably the most used. I remember "asl" being used a lot in the mid 2000s, standing for "Age, sex, location". Have fun trying to use that one online nowadays! "brb" was another that was used frequently. Basically any abbreviations from the MSN messenger days.

:pc: Bring back the old web! :pc:
Darmodej

View Profile

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2024 @706.40 »

i don't see as many people using the word avatar for profile picture lately

oh and speaking of 1337speak it's still alive in arabic and bulgarian, the latter occupying a somewhat separate language register used for less serious posts or when you're mixing in english words

ano, ja jsem on
grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2024 @922.30 »

i don't see as many people using the word avatar for profile picture lately

oh and speaking of 1337speak it's still alive in arabic and bulgarian, the latter occupying a somewhat separate language register used for less serious posts or when you're mixing in english words

yes i've been notoriously calling it "ava" and "siggie" hahahah :3 tho i guess i use "ava" more about pics that are obviously not of the actual person, while a profile pic is more an actual photo i guess? at least in my head  :eyes:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 17
Views: 3722
Last post April 21, 2023 @795.87
by Guest
Gemini, an internet protocol

Started by m15oBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 16
Views: 3320
Last post April 19, 2024 @292.67
by arcus
I miss the old internet-but I never experienced it.

Started by syx (dead)Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 13
Views: 2213
Last post October 08, 2022 @645.95
by manpaint

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi