Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @32.03 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 48/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  Improving the ability to make friends here in the web revival - a big proposal

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Improving the ability to make friends here in the web revival - a big proposal  (Read 2109 times)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2023 @131.82 »

Even if none of these ideas come to fruition, I think we should normalize sending people personal E-Mails or PMs via this forum, to chat.
j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2023 @176.02 »

Even if none of these ideas come to fruition, I think we should normalize sending people personal E-Mails or PMs via this forum, to chat.

that'd be nice. it's still bizarre to me to think that email is a super formal way of communicating, with unspoken rules on what you can and can't do.

personally, i'm all for cat gifs in my emails... :D

i go by j, she/they :)
NacreousDreams
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rockin' at the Dance of Exis

iMood: Eldridge_Jameson

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023 @211.00 »

I personally would love to send and get PMs more! I think it's cool to pull up the forum and see I got a new message from someone, even if it's as small as a "how's it goin'?".

I agree about the MC server bit. I actually have hopped on the serv a couple times, and I was going to right now. Problem: MC is kickin' me to the curb right now! Keep getting bad login errors when I try to hop on, and it wasn't doing this yesterday. A dedicated communication service would already have its share of technical issues without considering the ones that arise from a whole game. :TnT:
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023 @632.99 »

that'd be nice. it's still bizarre to me to think that email is a super formal way of communicating, with unspoken rules on what you can and can't do.

personally, i'm all for cat gifs in my emails... :D

It's just one other thing that the corporate internet has ruined for everyone  :angry:  first by associating it with work, and then by making it synonymous with spam!

Personally, when I get a genuine email from someone it always makes my day.

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2023 @683.23 »

I wholeheartedly agree by this! I might make a button that's like "I'm comfortable with emails" or something of the sort to put on my MelonLand profile. I uh.. am very friendly, I do not bite if anyone wants to message me  :4u:

So far me and Commodorn have been messaging back and forth for awhile and i've also PM'd a few people on here that i like their sites!

As for the rest of the conversation, I need to build up the energy to begin to express my thoughts about a MelonLand chatroom (The good and the bad). I think ideally an IRC or something of the sort would be great, and something to do with 2-3 channels like debleb said in here too

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
levya
Full Member ⚓︎

just a little creature (she/her)

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Joined 2023!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2023 @744.94 »

an IRC sounds cool though I probably wouldn't use it much. my social anxiety doesn't do too well with real-time chat haha

I do love receiving PMs or emails though! I just made this blinkie for my profile~

anyone else is free to use it, no credit necessary since I used blinkies.cafe to make it!

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023 @570.84 »

I also made some profile banners for people to use! :)

And a badge:

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2023 @784.25 »

Iv been trying to find ANY viable way to connect forum accounts to Matrix or IRC and so far Im having no luck.. I just tried asking the Bing AI and this was literally its response  :dunno:

I couldn’t find a direct answer to your question. However, you can use an IRC client that supports authentication via a web server. You can use a web server that supports Simple Machines Forum (SMF) authentication to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache

I think the only way we can go forward with this is to not link forum accounts and make it a separate service; if that's the case Matrix is prob a better option! Its still possible to connect it in to MC and maybe the shoutbox (I think!) - Id like to know peoples opinions?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023 @802.73 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2023 @861.09 »

Id like to know peoples opinions?
I'm fine with that. :)
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2023 @676.99 »

Iv been trying to find ANY viable way to connect forum accounts to Matrix or IRC and so far Im having no luck.. I just tried asking the Bing AI and this was literally its response  :dunno:

I think the only way we can go forward with this is to not link forum accounts and make it a separate service; if that's the case Matrix is prob a better option! Its still possible to connect it in to MC and maybe the shoutbox (I think!) - Id like to know peoples opinions?

this sounds good to me!

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

teatime
Full Member ⚓︎

RAAAAAAGH

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2023 @874.11 »

sounds good!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2023 @632.50 »

Although I have to say that perhaps the persistence of Matrix might make it less comfortable than an IRC - an IRC is on only when you're on, whereas in a persistent chat with chat history you kinda feel as if you have to stick to a conversation.

I just like the idea of coming into a chatroom and saying "hello" to see who's online! Whereas in persistent chats, saying hello usually isn't a thing, and chats proceed regardless of whether someone is online or not, which kinda kills the idea of a live conversation.

... But I'm not complaining about Matrix either, of course. An IRC would probably just be closer to the idea.
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2023 @659.12 »

Although I have to say that perhaps the persistence of Matrix might make it less comfortable than an IRC - an IRC is on only when you're on, whereas in a persistent chat with chat history you kinda feel as if you have to stick to a conversation.

I just like the idea of coming into a chatroom and saying "hello" to see who's online! Whereas in persistent chats, saying hello usually isn't a thing, and chats proceed regardless of whether someone is online or not, which kinda kills the idea of a live conversation.

... But I'm not complaining about Matrix either, of course. An IRC would probably just be closer to the idea.

i agree with you on this. the more that i get sucked into discord, the more i realize that i don't really like persistent chats all that much. i like having them for PMs, and technical support/development/project chats definitely benefit from having a persistent, searchable chat history, but i'm not a big fan of them for general, casual chatrooms. because persistent chats are constantly ongoing and have the option to show you what you missed by scrolling back, they make me want to constantly catch up on what was being discussed - they're addicting, and not in a good way!

i also agree with your point about not being able to just pop in and say hi. because persistent chats are always persistent, conversations never have the ability to end. you never really get a chance to just say hi and have a quick chat with whoever else is online, because you'll always be interrupting whatever conversation was persisting in the chatroom before you joined.

i personally prefer the idea of having an IRC chatroom. XMPP isn't a bad option either if it has the ability to make non-persistent chatrooms, as it can offer some quality-of-life improvements over IRC (like file sharing), depending on what XEPs the server supports.

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2023 @660.23 »

I think the last call is on @Melooon 's side, but I think an IRC is easier to host, less work to maintain, and definitely cheaper and easier on the hardware. Unless he has already begun working on Matrix, I think the tendency is clear for the reasons above. :ha:
Inkerlink
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey, nice to meet you!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2023 @686.12 »

I'd vote for an IRC over a Matrix as well. I don't think a chat history is necessary, unless it really helps with moderation. If it makes the lives of moderators easier, then I'd say go with Matrix.

It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

chiptune maker!

Started by cinniBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 2046
Last post March 08, 2023 @308.04
by Gans
hello !! heres some art of mine C:

Started by 2010Board ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 14
Views: 2929
Last post August 24, 2023 @939.38
by 2010
Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5398
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi