This zone is sleeping right now! ZzzZZzzz

Better not disturb it! ~You go to the petrol station and buy a slushy instead, everything is cool!~

This area will open again in 000.beats!

(Learn about Swatch Time)

Some other zones are awake :^]


Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 05 Oct 2026 - @209.40
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: There's a great big indie web tomorrow! :smile: Guild Events: TIME FOR HALLOWEEN CRAFTS!
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Moon Park
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ MelonLand Info & Questions
| | |-+  Improving the ability to make friends here in the web revival - a big proposal


« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print Embed
Author Topic: Improving the ability to make friends here in the web revival - a big proposal  (Read 12442 times)
Memory
Guest

« Reply #15 on: Spring, 09 Mar 2023 @132 » Embed

Even if none of these ideas come to fruition, I think we should normalize sending people personal E-Mails or PMs via this forum, to chat.

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #16 on: Spring, 09 Mar 2023 @176 » Embed

[removed by author]

« Last Edit: Summer, 31 Jul 2024 @613 by Memory » Logged
NacreousDreams
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


Rockin' at the Dance of Exis
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Eldridge_Jameson

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #17 on: Spring, 09 Mar 2023 @211 » Toggle Font Embed

I personally would love to send and get PMs more! I think it's cool to pull up the forum and see I got a new message from someone, even if it's as small as a "how's it goin'?".

I agree about the MC server bit. I actually have hopped on the serv a couple times, and I was going to right now. Problem: MC is kickin' me to the curb right now! Keep getting bad login errors when I try to hop on, and it wasn't doing this yesterday. A dedicated communication service would already have its share of technical issues without considering the ones that arise from a whole game. :TnT:

Logged
TheFrugalGamer
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
See A Bug Summer 2025 ParticipantGreat Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #18 on: Spring, 09 Mar 2023 @633 » Toggle Font Embed

that'd be nice. it's still bizarre to me to think that email is a super formal way of communicating, with unspoken rules on what you can and can't do.

personally, i'm all for cat gifs in my emails... :D

It's just one other thing that the corporate internet has ruined for everyone  :angry:  first by associating it with work, and then by making it synonymous with spam!

Personally, when I get a genuine email from someone it always makes my day.

Logged


Artifact Swap: Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Pink TulipEmerald OreAquamarine
dotmidi
Hero Member
*****
View Profile WWWArt


manly men can doll, too!
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Happy ShoesGift of CubesealVisited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!ビートルさんPolyamorousMooshroom Spawn Egg
« Reply #19 on: Spring, 09 Mar 2023 @683 » Toggle Font Embed

Even if none of these ideas come to fruition, I think we should normalize sending people personal E-Mails or PMs via this forum, to chat.

I wholeheartedly agree by this! I might make a button that's like "I'm comfortable with emails" or something of the sort to put on my MelonLand profile. I uh.. am very friendly, I do not bite if anyone wants to message me  :4u:

So far me and Commodorn have been messaging back and forth for awhile and i've also PM'd a few people on here that i like their sites!

As for the rest of the conversation, I need to build up the energy to begin to express my thoughts about a MelonLand chatroom (The good and the bad). I think ideally an IRC or something of the sort would be great, and something to do with 2-3 channels like debleb said in here too

Logged


Artifact Swap: DazzlerOrange Tulip
levya
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


just a little creature (she/her)
⛺︎ My Room
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
See A Bug Summer 2025 ParticipantParticipated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Joined 2023!
« Reply #20 on: Spring, 09 Mar 2023 @745 » Toggle Font Embed

an IRC sounds cool though I probably wouldn't use it much. my social anxiety doesn't do too well with real-time chat haha

I do love receiving PMs or emails though! I just made this blinkie for my profile~
https://i.imgur.com/UZo0I3B.gif
anyone else is free to use it, no credit necessary since I used blinkies.cafe to make it!

Logged

https://linwood.neocities.org/images/linwoodbutton2.gif
https://i.imgur.com/T0opYO2.gif
Memory
Guest

« Reply #21 on: Spring, 10 Mar 2023 @571 » Embed

I also made some profile banners for people to use! :)

https://libre.town/graphics/gifs/banners/265-16_email_dark.png
https://libre.town/graphics/gifs/banners/265-16_email_light.png
https://libre.town/graphics/gifs/banners/265-16_email_darkrainbow.png
https://libre.town/graphics/gifs/banners/265-16_email_lightrainbow.png

And a badge:

https://libre.town/graphics/gifs/badges/8831_emailcommon.png

Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #22 on: Spring, 18 Mar 2023 @784 » Toggle Font Embed

Iv been trying to find ANY viable way to connect forum accounts to Matrix or IRC and so far Im having no luck.. I just tried asking the Bing AI and this was literally its response  :dunno:

Quote
I couldn’t find a direct answer to your question. However, you can use an IRC client that supports authentication via a web server. You can use a web server that supports Simple Machines Forum (SMF) authentication to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache or Nginx to authenticate users. You can use a web server such as Apache

I think the only way we can go forward with this is to not link forum accounts and make it a separate service; if that's the case Matrix is prob a better option! Its still possible to connect it in to MC and maybe the shoutbox (I think!) - Id like to know peoples opinions?

« Last Edit: Spring, 18 Mar 2023 @803 by Melooon » Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
Memory
Guest

« Reply #23 on: Spring, 18 Mar 2023 @861 » Embed

Id like to know peoples opinions?
I'm fine with that. :)

Logged
debleb
Sr. Member
****
View Profile WWW


He/him, scaley tailey dragon
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Goose!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #24 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @677 » Toggle Font Embed

Iv been trying to find ANY viable way to connect forum accounts to Matrix or IRC and so far Im having no luck.. I just tried asking the Bing AI and this was literally its response  :dunno:

I think the only way we can go forward with this is to not link forum accounts and make it a separate service; if that's the case Matrix is prob a better option! Its still possible to connect it in to MC and maybe the shoutbox (I think!) - Id like to know peoples opinions?

this sounds good to me!

Logged

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

https://dragcave.net/image/JeJE6.gifhttps://dragcave.net/image/MVIQA.gifhttps://dragcave.net/image/j3sRH.gif
teatime
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


RAAAAAAGH
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2023!
« Reply #25 on: Spring, 20 Mar 2023 @874 » Toggle Font Embed

Id like to know peoples opinions?

sounds good!

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #26 on: Spring, 22 Mar 2023 @633 » Embed

Although I have to say that perhaps the persistence of Matrix might make it less comfortable than an IRC - an IRC is on only when you're on, whereas in a persistent chat with chat history you kinda feel as if you have to stick to a conversation.

I just like the idea of coming into a chatroom and saying "hello" to see who's online! Whereas in persistent chats, saying hello usually isn't a thing, and chats proceed regardless of whether someone is online or not, which kinda kills the idea of a live conversation.

... But I'm not complaining about Matrix either, of course. An IRC would probably just be closer to the idea.

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #27 on: Spring, 22 Mar 2023 @659 » Embed

Although I have to say that perhaps the persistence of Matrix might make it less comfortable than an IRC - an IRC is on only when you're on, whereas in a persistent chat with chat history you kinda feel as if you have to stick to a conversation.

I just like the idea of coming into a chatroom and saying "hello" to see who's online! Whereas in persistent chats, saying hello usually isn't a thing, and chats proceed regardless of whether someone is online or not, which kinda kills the idea of a live conversation.

... But I'm not complaining about Matrix either, of course. An IRC would probably just be closer to the idea.

i agree with you on this. the more that i get sucked into discord, the more i realize that i don't really like persistent chats all that much. i like having them for PMs, and technical support/development/project chats definitely benefit from having a persistent, searchable chat history, but i'm not a big fan of them for general, casual chatrooms. because persistent chats are constantly ongoing and have the option to show you what you missed by scrolling back, they make me want to constantly catch up on what was being discussed - they're addicting, and not in a good way!

i also agree with your point about not being able to just pop in and say hi. because persistent chats are always persistent, conversations never have the ability to end. you never really get a chance to just say hi and have a quick chat with whoever else is online, because you'll always be interrupting whatever conversation was persisting in the chatroom before you joined.

i personally prefer the idea of having an IRC chatroom. XMPP isn't a bad option either if it has the ability to make non-persistent chatrooms, as it can offer some quality-of-life improvements over IRC (like file sharing), depending on what XEPs the server supports.

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #28 on: Spring, 22 Mar 2023 @660 » Embed

I think the last call is on @Melooon 's side, but I think an IRC is easier to host, less work to maintain, and definitely cheaper and easier on the hardware. Unless he has already begun working on Matrix, I think the tendency is clear for the reasons above. :ha:

Logged
Inkerlink
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


Hey, nice to meet you!
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2023!
« Reply #29 on: Spring, 22 Mar 2023 @686 » Toggle Font Embed

Id like to know peoples opinions?
I'd vote for an IRC over a Matrix as well. I don't think a chat history is necessary, unless it really helps with moderation. If it makes the lives of moderators easier, then I'd say go with Matrix.

Logged

Quote
It was in a way the world at the very beginning – the elements alone, and starlight.
-The Ionian Mission, Patrick O'Brian

https://i.imgur.com/IjPUuxT.gif

https://i.imgur.com/1y0RfuU.png
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe