Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 26, 2024 - @591.26 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: Custom web fonts; how to shrink file size

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: Custom web fonts; how to shrink file size  (Read 497 times)
« on: March 16, 2023 @447.95 »

Hey there! :dog:

I know how to embed custom fonts into my website and I like using them a lot. Right now, I use a single font (Galmuri 9) throughout my entire website.

However, every single time someone clicks on my site they download a whole 4MB .ttf font! This is too much for me, especially if some people have to connect over a mobile network or from an old computer, and just generally I dislike bloat. I don't want to hotlink from a different website because that feels mean to them, and it also is a point of failure that I don't want to have to think about.

Is there any way to reduce effective file size with custom fonts for performance reasons, especially if I want to use multiple on the same site?
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023 @861.17 »

I saw that you never got a reply to this issue. Is this still a problem or did you find a solution yet?

From my research I gather that small file sizes for fonts is kind of a tradeoff at times with not supporting specific characters or older browsers.

I found people save on font file size by only using the WOFF formats (not ttf etc.) which has the downside of not supporting older browsers, but has its own compression via Brotli and is therefore smaller.  Others use FontSquirrel Webfont generator on Expert to edit what the font files entail and remove glyphs; this would already reduce the file size on your end.
If you don't want to edit the file itself and don't mind the file size on your end, you might be interested in setting specifications in the CSS (Unicode range subsetting for example) so it arrives smaller for the end user, but I guess that depends on if your font even has all these characters. If it is already "barebones" so to speak, there might not be much to remove or subset.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 34
Views: 13240
Last post April 24, 2024 @150.30
by honowo
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1856
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni
Website status (Check replies for part 2)

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 8
Views: 2076
Last post December 26, 2021 @841.50
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi