Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @509.16 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 42/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | |-+  Rap

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rap  (Read 474 times)
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
Rap
« on: March 25, 2023 @751.60 »

I know folks on here listen to all different kinds of music. Specifically I see a lot of rock, jazz, folk and punk music. One thing I rarely see on here or even in web revival circles in general is rap! I feel like it's got something to do with the groups that web revival brings, a lot of punk and folk people agree with the old web's values and enjoy the homemade feeling. I'd love to see if there are any other rap fans around here! Here's some stuff!

My favorite rappers of all time: Tupac, Juicy J, Kendrick Lamar, Big L, Danny Brown, JPEGMafia, Westside Gunn and Tyler the creator.

Some albums I love: To pimp a butterfly, Ready to die, 2001: A laced odyssey, All Eyez on Me, ROMCOM, Most Known Unknown.

What actually sparked this idea was listening to the new Danny Brown & JPEGMafia collab album "Scaring the hoes" which I absolutely loved!!!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023 @803.73 »

I'm not really into it enough to add much to this thread; but I wanted to drop by to say Harder Than You Think by Public Enemy is one of my all-time favourite songs  :grin: A lot of older groups like Run DMC and the Beastie Boys always seem to stand out to me; I like the cheesy super lyrical style of 80s-early 90s songs! Its something I need to put more time into exploring!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023 @841.98 »

I'm not really into it enough to add much to this thread; but I wanted to drop by to say Harder Than You Think by Public Enemy is one of my all-time favourite songs  :grin: A lot of older groups like Run DMC and the Beastie Boys always seem to stand out to me; I like the cheesy super lyrical style of 80s-early 90s songs! Its something I need to put more time into exploring!

Public enemy has always been a stand out group!!! I love how anti establishment their lyrics were and how little they cared! It definitely set the stage for later rap groups of the same caliber (NWA, Wu Tang Clan, Outkast)

She/Her

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023 @847.40 »

Oh cool that we now have a rap thread on here!

When I was a kid I always kinda looked down on rap because that's just what you do when you come from a middle class white family without any connection to the real world. When I finally became politically active and educated around when I was 17, and actually started seeing more of the world out there, I found out what rap meant, and met plenty of both people who were into rap and local rappers themselves. :) Rap now is a large part of what I listen to.

Rap is not primarily about the music itself as entertainment, it's about the lyrics, like poetry, about spreading a message. Rap is working class culture, rap is a vehicle to communicate about your experiences or opinions, rap is a voice to reach the masses, and for many it is a hobby and their subculture.

Because I got into rap through this angle, most people I listen to are locals I personally got to know at protests, squats and similar places, so I actually lack a lot of knowledge in what's going on in the overall rap and hip hop world. Sorry for that. Here's a few locals you can listen to; feel free to share what you think!

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023 @855.82 »

Oh cool that we now have a rap thread on here!

When I was a kid I always kinda looked down on rap because that's just what you do when you come from a middle class white family without any connection to the real world. When I finally became politically active and educated around when I was 17, and actually started seeing more of the world out there, I found out what rap meant, and met plenty of both people who were into rap and local rappers themselves. :) Rap now is a large part of what I listen to.

Rap is not primarily about the music itself as entertainment, it's about the lyrics, like poetry, about spreading a message. Rap is working class culture, rap is a vehicle to communicate about your experiences or opinions, rap is a voice to reach the masses, and for many it is a hobby and their subculture.

Because I got into rap through this angle, most people I listen to are locals I personally got to know at protests, squats and similar places, so I actually lack a lot of knowledge in what's going on in the overall rap and hip hop world. Sorry for that. Here's a few locals you can listen to; feel free to share what you think!

These are really good definitely adding these to my playlist! Correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds like German to me (I hope I'm not wrong with that lmao)

That is another really good point, rap is and has always been counter culture; sure you have people like Lil Jon or E-40 who just make songs for fun (which isn't bad don't get me wrong they are actually in my top 10) but at it's heart rap has always been a quick, easy and understandable method to get a message out! I think that's part of what connects it to people so deeply or not at all, you either don't understand it or you do. Not that people who don't like rap aren't able to understand, just that people connect more with it if they've lived through a lot of the struggles commonly associated with rap. Much like punk rock was (and still is) very anti establishment.

She/Her

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023 @858.41 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but this sounds like German to me (I hope I'm not wrong with that lmao)
Yep you're right. :) They're all organized Marxists; like 2pac was too (afaik he co-founded the communist youth league?).
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023 @859.79 »

Yep you're right. :) They're all organized Marxists; like 2pac was too (afaik he co-founded the communist youth league?).

Not quite, he was a member though! speaking of, may I present my favorite video of Tupac

She/Her

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi