Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @161.97 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Simple TTRPG systems

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Simple TTRPG systems  (Read 795 times)
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: April 16, 2023 @764.88 »

Does anyone know any simple ttrpg systems that still use dice? There are plenty that use cards or are very rules light overall which I don't really want but I'm not up for learning how to run D&D (I've never been a DM for it before) or Cyberpunk Red (maybe this is just me but the rules are really confusing). Is there anything in between? Still having rules and dice for combat and skills but won't require me to read novels of material? I was thinking of maybe just attempting to create a homebrew system set in the Cyberpunk Red universe but I don't know where to start so if there's any tips for that I'd love them too!

Happy rolling  :smile:

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023 @776.40 »

Does anyone know any simple ttrpg systems that still use dice? There are plenty that use cards or are very rules light overall which I don't really want but I'm not up for learning how to run D&D (I've never been a DM for it before) or Cyberpunk Red (maybe this is just me but the rules are really confusing). Is there anything in between? Still having rules and dice for combat and skills but won't require me to read novels of material? I was thinking of maybe just attempting to create a homebrew system set in the Cyberpunk Red universe but I don't know where to start so if there's any tips for that I'd love them too!

Would Paranoia work for you? The rules are written in an easy tone and the players are forbidden from knowing them. It's suited for fun and absurd stories and more competitive than cooperative. But I'm sure there's a lot one can tweak about it and make it work for other stories and needs.

Other than that, I have heard that Fate is easier to homebrew than DnD and eases the load for the GM since players have more influence over the narrative, but I only played it once as a player, and you need special dice for it.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023 @798.92 »

Would Paranoia work for you? The rules are written in an easy tone and the players are forbidden from knowing them. It's suited for fun and absurd stories and more competitive than cooperative. But I'm sure there's a lot one can tweak about it and make it work for other stories and needs.

Other than that, I have heard that Fate is easier to homebrew than DnD and eases the load for the GM since players have more influence over the narrative, but I only played it once as a player, and you need special dice for it.

Actually I do have fate dice! I'll look into that! I played Paranoia as a player once and really enjoyed it, I might consider that too. I think Fate is gonna be the best option though.

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Memory
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023 @799.22 »

You could try out Lasers and Feelings. The rules only take up a single page, dice rolls are really simple and the videos I've seen of people playing it are really fun.

Blades in the Dark is also a lot simpler than D&D, but not nearly as simple as LAF. The rules are all on the website.
wodaro
Full Member ⚓︎

I should be drawing

iMood: wodaro
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023 @943.94 »

I find Powered by the Apocalypse type games like Thirsty Sword Lesbians or Monsterhearts 2 are pretty simple to pick up and play! I've also played a bit of Kids on Brooms and the mechanics in that one are pretty simple to pick up and VERY versatile when it comes to doing magic.

jadefyre
Casual Poster ⚓︎

now that's something I can hyperfixate on

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023 @800.69 »

Blades in the Dark is also a lot simpler than D&D, but not nearly as simple as LAF. The rules are all on the website.

I really enjoyed The Sprawl, which is another PBTA-style game, but Cyberpunk. I haven't played Blades myself, but the person who GMed Sprawl also loves Blades. :)

KittyTheKat
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Any/All and Agender

iMood: KittyTheKat

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023 @161.96 »

It's kind of specific in theme, but I would recommend Monster of the Week. It's about a group of people hunting a monster/thing/evil guy and it's based on the Apocalypse World system - which itself may be another good recommendation. The rolls are narrative-focused and there's not a lot in the way of formal systems driving it. Much like FATE, it's more collaborative storytelling than a tactics-based RPG. Honestly it's probably worth just going to the page for games based on the Apocalypse system (Dungeon World is another popular version of it) and perusing it.

"Hell is other people. But that’s only that side of the coin. The other side, which no one seems to mention, is also “Heaven is each other.” … Hell is separateness, uncommunicability, self-centeredness, lust for power, for riches, for fame. Heaven, on the other hand, is very simple—and very hard: caring about your fellow beings." -Jean-Paul Sartre
PainterFight
Casual Poster

Trying Her Best (TM)

StatusCafe: painterfight
iMood: painterfight

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023 @384.44 »

I actually collect a lot of free TTRPGs! But keep in mind that I haven't played any of these yet, so take a grain of salt, but here's some of my recommendations:

- Cairn! from what I heard of Bob World Builder's thoughts on it, it's like a simpler DnD!
- Unbelieveably Simple Roleplaying! It's exactly what it says on the tin!
- Iron Valley! It's akin to cozy farming games!

Also, this one isn't played with dice, but a while ago I found this game on itch.io called Un-Navigatable, and I instantly love the 2000's internet aesthetic the game has going for it! If you have an itch.io account, they're giving away community copies too, so get that one too when the getting's good!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023 @413.40 by PainterFight » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

GUIDE: Melon's Simple X3D World Tutorial

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 5
Views: 4386
Last post February 17, 2022 @637.75
by demonologi
Simple ways to create and upload a large art gallery?

Started by morrysillusionBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 7
Views: 1921
Last post July 12, 2022 @876.92
by morrysillusion
TTRPG art!

Started by wodaroBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 14
Views: 1640
Last post March 30, 2024 @783.68
by wodaro

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi