Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @319.13 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 51/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  What web host do you use?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What web host do you use?  (Read 3424 times)
Altair
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: January 25, 2022 @373.01 »

What web host do you use and/or what have you used in the past?
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022 @832.00 »

Been through web hosts like tissues. Ones I've used in the past include freewebs, ucoz and several others. Right now, like probably many here, I'm currently using Neocities.

For completition's sake, I use dimension.sh for Gopher, Yestercities for Gemini, Finger.farm for Finger, and Tilde.team for Spartan.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022 @833.45 »

Have used various shared or reseller cpanel hosts over the years for my very old sites, and then wordpress sites.

Nowadays using Netlify for my static sites. I'm really looking at what I can do statically vs dynamically these days.
Nightdrift
Full Member ⚓︎

Suspicious Activity™

StatusCafe: nightdrift

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022 @22.25 »

Seconding Cobra! with Neocities for current use, though I'm always interested in learning about other small web hosts/site builders...I did dabble with Wordpress/Bluehost together for a very brief stint years ago; it ultimately wasn't for me -- though I can't remember why. Perhaps it was a time when I thought having a personal site was more trouble than it was worth :ziped:

I've been playing around wtih FC2's free website host/builder for fun here and there, but the user interface and bugginess can make it a bit of a slog to work with sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022 @28.17 by Nightdrift » Logged

Status Cafe Profile
cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022 @234.95 »

to no one's surprise i use neocities for all my sites, but more recently ive been playing around with my leprd.space server for things that only php can do :-p such as my oekaki board!

n like cobradile i've used freewebz in the past & use yestercities for gemini!

fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022 @933.97 »

though I'm always interested in learning about other small web hosts/site builders...

Are you not interested in learning to hand code? So much flexibility in what you can end up creating :smile:
Nightdrift
Full Member ⚓︎

Suspicious Activity™

StatusCafe: nightdrift

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022 @63.39 »

Are you not interested in learning to hand code? So much flexibility in what you can end up creating :smile:
Oh no, definitely! Hand coding is my preferred medium. I think it is more of a curiosity, to to see what some site builders have (or fail) to offer... Most aren't as versatile or interesting as hand code; I struggle to imagine using them in a hobbyist's capacity at this time. But I think it's (perhaps morbidly) interesting to see what web builders are up to, every now and then.

I agree for sure though, that hand-code has the best amount of versatility/flexibility. It is a good feeling to build by hand, too.

to no one's surprise i use neocities for all my sites, but more recently ive been playing around with my leprd.space server for things that only php can do :-p such as my oekaki board!
I've been pretty curious about leprd.space since you posted about the oekaki board. How has your experience been so far? Its offerings seem pretty great.

Status Cafe Profile
m15o
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: m15o

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022 @310.42 »

At the moment, all my projects are hosted on linode.com. It's a paid service that lets you get access to a machine (around $5/month). We can then connect to the machine using ssh, and do anything we want with it!

fLaMEd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022 @408.08 »

At the moment, all my projects are hosted on linode.com. It's a paid service that lets you get access to a machine (around $5/month). We can then connect to the machine using ssh, and do anything we want with it!

it's amazing what you can cram onto a small node right?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022 @620.82 »

I keep 2 DigitalOcean nodes in the background (Iv used this since 2014 and find them very good), one just runs MySQL for this forum and Daniel's Net and some other small apps. The other runs the web services for Daniel's Net, this forum, services like my metrics and newsletter. Iv also been playing around with Gemini on there.

Then I have a Raspberry Pi at home that runs indexing services for Daniels Net (Its not web facing it just connects to the database node, so does not need a public ip). (This tends to be a memory hog so it would slow down the forum and other stuff if it were on the same node)

And FINALLY, my main site, gifypet, momg and my "professional" site are all on Neocities. Neocities is a weird one becouse I could save $60 a year and move all those sites onto the same node as this forum. I like being part of the nc community though and I trust it more to keep the sites online and archived in the future, so I stick with it for now (but they better stop moving my site down the sites list!) :cheesy:

In the past I tried a lot of more regular web hosts like GoDaddy that provided cPanel and stuff, but I never really found they lasted for me, but that could have been down to the kind of sites I was making then :defrag: Also used to use enjin for a while, and kinda hated it and kinda liked it?!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
lulu
Casual Poster ⚓︎

if it stops i'm havin' a bad dream

StatusCafe: lulu
iMood: WILDLIFE

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022 @942.57 »

I used Dreamhost around 2013/14 for a bit, because it's a name I recognized from the early days and I hadn't heard any complaints. My friends and family didn't visit my site and I didn't know this community existed, so it didn't last too long. Neocities is what I used in 2016, I can't remember how long I stayed on there but I ended up moving back to Dreamhost and it's been great. I just use the shared hosting, I only make static sites so it works well for me. I like being able to make endless sub-domains and email addresses, and I don't think FTP was an option on Neocities.

I was worried that if I moved off Neocities I'd be unintentionally pushed out of the community (due to no longer showing up on their site list - not that I was on the top or anything, but for a little while it didn't take toooo much scrolling, which was cool) BUT people are still finding my site, so no worries there.
easy_breezy

PonPon

iMood: hax_man

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022 @279.36 »

Before I came across Neocities while looking for Touhou fansites, I used to use Weebly.

The platform was awful. It was slow as hell, the HTML and CSS kept glitching, I could only upload pictures because anything over a megabyte was restricted on the free plan and the drag n' drop features were limiting at times.

It was refreshing to actually be able to use dreamweaver not as a reference, but as an actual workspace when I jumped ship to the cat site.

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
xX_irkeneonz_Xx
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022 @591.69 »

I got into web design with Neocities and I'll probably stick with it while it's still around. I think I had to make a Weebly once though for a class in middle school but I didn't really like using it

ellievoyyd
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Webmistress of Cybergrunge.net - Futa - she/her

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022 @418.08 »

i use 1&1 ionos, they are super super cheap and have good customer service, even had a guy help me trouble shoot some of my php code.

the only other one i tried was hostgator which i had for a few years and it was pretty bad.

obvi i use neocities for my personal site

== Official WebMistress of Cybergrunge.net ==
Kitchen Staff
Casual Poster ⚓︎

He/they/glitch

iMood: KitchenStaff

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022 @898.99 »

I personally use Neocities for my website, though there are other free web hosting services that you can use.IDK if it's still online but Weeble's an option, though I have no experience in it.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5372
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 33
Views: 13048
Last post December 31, 2023 @87.73
by corvidaegalaxy
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1829
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi