Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
May 08, 2024 - @98.38 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Hosting a website on an Android phone

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hosting a website on an Android phone  (Read 569 times)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: May 16, 2023 @473.06 »

I just read a really interesting article I thought I should share with you.

The blog post details how the original poster has managed to host their blog on their Android smartphone running Android 11.
They use Termux (a terminal emulator to run a web server) and Pinggy (for public URLs to that server).
Be patient and check again if it might be down for you right now, since a phone cannot handle that many requests or might have bad connectivity.

Things to consider before doing this:
  • Use a separate phone other than your private phone; maybe a factory reset old one or a separate one bought used
  • Network stability can be an issue, but for personal sites, guaranteed uptime might not be that important
  • Might be worth comparing a Raspberry Pi with this method and decide what better suits your needs; while a smartphone has a lot, what it doesn't have are additional ports like HDMI or ethernet; but also, in case power goes out, the phone might have an advantage (for a while)
  • Security concerns about publicly exposing ports etc
  • Pinggy seems to need a subscription for this, but maybe in the future, there will be workarounds or other solutions

I don't have an Android and no use-case for this, but I like when people tinker with their stuff and show something is possible, even if it might not be as useful to most people.

In terms of not being as reliably online as we are used to, it reminds me of how the Low-Tech magazine is powered. Since it is powered by solar, it occasionally runs out and is not available. They offer a page with a weather forecast for the solar panel (in Barcelona, Spain) and the battery % for the website, which is neat.

(I wasn't quite sure if it should be here or Technology & Archiving, so please move if inappropriate <3)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023 @474.93 by shevek » Logged

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023 @544.94 »

This is so cool! I love it when people do this kind of wacky stuff with their phones. It kind of reminds me of the people who get Doom to run on anything, the way they are using tech in a way it's not intended...

That being said, I'm still a mobile hater :P

Remember to eat dessert <3
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023 @545.71 »

i tired to make an ftp server on android phone using random app. still wanted to do that but with otner android device

debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023 @316.12 »

interesting! i never thought about hosting a server on your phone  :omg: seems a tad impractical but it’s a very neat experiment. i like the low tech magazine btw some good reads on there!

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023 @703.92 »

A little update to this: there's now also a tutorial article on how to use your Android smartphone as a Linux desktop. Some have apparently also used it with external screens and it works.

The article is here. In short, they use Termux, as the one in the OP of the thread used as well, but also add a Desktop environment. Hosting a website from your phone doesn't really needed a DE, just the shell, so I think the other article never dove into that. This one however does, and explains some stuff more closely.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5484
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1873
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni
Website status (Check replies for part 2)

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 8
Views: 2084
Last post December 26, 2021 @841.50
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi