Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @950.42 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects
| | |-+  Daniel's Network Search (Discontinued)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Daniel's Network Search (Discontinued)  (Read 1892 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: November 14, 2021 @999.05 »

Daniel's Network Search

Check this thread for the lastest news and features on Daniel's Network search!
https://search.melonking.net/

This service is now offline, see the next post for details!

Last Updated: 11/11/2021

Current Features:
  • Search text on any page of any site
  • Search single or multiple words
  • HTML file search - search for files with a name e.g. manifesto.html
  • Random site button
  • Category search - Shows 250 random sites in a category
  • Molly: Send storms and flowers to other visitors
  • Molly: Site of the day (broken at the moment)
  • Open URLs in the search bar

Todo:
  • Fix Molly site of the day!
  • Add site descriptions to search results
  • Add site limited search for people to put on their sites
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022 @480.63 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022 @497.73 »

Hi, so a few people have asked me why DN was discontinued on the 12/3 and Ill try to explain here, there are a few points!

So Im basing this info off some tests I made; I logged what words people searched for, the date they were searched, and what results that search returned. These logs were temporary, anonymous and have been deleted.

The results:

Basically, I made a fundamental mistake about how people use the old web. I assumed they would know what they wanted and therefor search for it, but in reality people don't think like that. Instead, when someone is on the old web they want to just click and explore; so when I presented them with a search bar they had no idea what to search for, so all anyone did was search themselves! That's not very interesting, so they would do it once then leave :tongue:

Sadly its also a little less wholesome than that, DN was getting hit with a lot of searches for illegal content, thankfully none was being found, but it made me unhappy. Im not sure where that traffic was coming from, but I did not want to associate my site or other peoples sites with that kinda traffic. As someone creating a directory/search service, I think its somewhat my responsibility not to expose the sites I promote to abuse if I can help it :notgood:

Besides all that, the site traffic was quite low, and the work in keeping it online was quite high. Although this version of DN is MUCH more stable that the first version in 2017, it was still work!

So I concluded that it was best to close the site.. I have to admit I'm feeling way less stressed since them :ohdear: Although Im sad to have lost this thing I made and loved, and some of you perhaps liked too.

The Future!

Im not done yet! I have loose PLANS in the works! Possibly to create some sort of directory service site (I know everyone's doing it these days!) based on the DN style. Annd maybe merging that with something like MelonTown, or a 3D explorer.

In the meantime though, for those of you curious, I have open sourced the DN code here: https://github.com/Melonking906/Daniels-Network-Search its all there and if you have the skills it should not be hard to start up your own node.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022 @857.42 »

Thank you for making DN! It helped me find some cool sites in the past. It's so sad you came across unwholesome stuff in the search logs, I can't blame you for discontinuing it because of that. :sad: although we've made a nice community the internet can be such a scary place sometimes.

Im not done yet! I have loose PLANS in the works! Possibly to create some sort of directory service site (I know everyone's doing it these days!) based on the DN style. Annd maybe merging that with something like MelonTown, or a 3D explorer.

Meanwhile... this sounds amazing!! *_*

Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022 @479.06 »

It's a shame people people search up stuff like that :notgood: it's kinda scary to think about that...

DN was a pretty cool project while it lasted though. Even though it's gone, I think it was really charming! So, thank you for building it.

Your project ideas sound really, really cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

- Memoru

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Looking for affiliates for my personal site and site collective network

Started by AltairBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1136
Last post January 20, 2022 @306.20
by Altair
php heck: making a search engine

Started by cinniBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 2
Views: 1442
Last post February 22, 2022 @256.30
by ellievoyyd
Ozwomp's Voyage for iPhone & iPad (Discontinued)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 9
Views: 2584
Last post April 12, 2022 @300.98
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi