Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @186.38 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP(?): Neocities stylesheet lag?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP(?): Neocities stylesheet lag?  (Read 608 times)
pixelsafari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

remember when they called it machine learning?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: pixelsafari

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: June 16, 2023 @657.34 »

I've been getting this really weird problem where whatever changes I've made to my CSS stylesheet don't actually apply to my website for a while. It's super inconsistent: some days it updates immediately, and other times it takes forever... which is super frustrating!  :tongue:

It's not a caching issue because I force refresh my page every time. Every other file works like normal, and if I import the same CSS into my HTML file it works fine?? It's only started happening more recently, when my website's gotten a bit bigger. My website is 29.28 MB big (2.9% of my 1GB), and I have thousands of files- but they're almost entirely small images. I'm sure there's people with way beefier websites out there.

Is anyone else getting this problem or is it just time for me to get an actual code editor?  :sad: 

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023 @665.98 »

I get that issue sometimes! It's pretty weird. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't  :dunno:

Mela
Casual Poster ⚓︎

PicMix: Melaaaa

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023 @669.68 »

I've noticed this too for my website. Sometimes when I restart the entire browser it works but other times I have to wait. Either way it's really annoying... Also a few days ago, after a long time I hadn't updated my website, it didn't load at all! Luckily a few hours later it seemed to work again.
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023 @709.92 »

Yes, I experience the same recently. It also takes ages to replace images for me. I had to actually delete my background image completely and then upload the new version because only that forced it to update. A simple replacement didn't work as it usually did.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
pixelsafari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023 @715.72 »

Glad I'm not the only one. :notgood:

Quote from: shevek
It also takes ages to replace images for me. I had to actually delete my background image completely and then upload the new version because only that forced it to update. A simple replacement didn't work as it usually did.

I've been getting that too! It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother replacing images anymore. I just delete the original and/or upload the new one under a different name. Which is annoying when all your images are sorted very carefully via their names :drat:

brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

RocketmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023 @862.52 »

It all might have to do with the way with the internet works. Neocities own servers are probably caching pages, the data centers where the pages are served from certainly are and then there's your own browser cache.

Caching simply means the content is stored somewhere closer to the end users (us) rather than the origin servers (Neocities). It all usually works very well with something called the TTL (Time To Live) in the cache before it is refreshed. Sometimes it just depends on when you updated the page as to how long you have to wait until you see the changes.

Just from CloudFlare, their free tier TTL is 2 hours, but their business-class TTL is 1 second. If you assume that Neocities' TTL is 5 minutes, if you update a page at the start of a time period, you could be waiting 3 or 4 minutes for the page update to be seeen, or you could get lucky and only be waiting a couple of seconds.

Bonus:

The Neocities sites I look at are usually served from a data center Chicago. There's a list of them and which one you are using at https://status.neocities.org/. The x-cached line shows whether it was a miss (had to come from the server) or a hit (already held in a cache somewhere).
tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023 @3.82 »

There's a list of them and which one you are using at https://status.neocities.org/.

And that's how I learned that my website is served in Germany! :D

But yeah, I've noticed all of that too, although it usually helps to wait a few (five sounds legit yeah) minutes before force-reloading the page and then boom the changes catch up.

Honestly I just figured with how many people join Neocities these days - it's probably natural some stuff is getting slower.

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
pixelsafari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023 @888.61 »

It all might have to do with the way with the internet works. Neocities own servers are probably caching pages, the data centers where the pages are served from certainly are and then there's your own browser cache.

That makes a lot of sense.:omg:  It's pretty easy to forget that my website isn't some social media profile, but a whole (mostly) independent place on the internet! I don't think my short attention span helps either :tongue:

That page you linked is super interesting. Mine is served in Sydney!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I need help with neocities

Started by Kane VirkutisBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1657
Last post February 25, 2022 @609.50
by Melooon
Where are IPFS backups on Neocities? ANSWERED!

Started by ellievoyydBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 3
Views: 2078
Last post March 17, 2022 @162.86
by PAINTKILLER
Neocities on Polygon!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 9
Views: 2294
Last post June 18, 2023 @827.12
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi