Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @99.32 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 901.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Services you are subscribed to (or used to be)

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Services you are subscribed to (or used to be)  (Read 1643 times)
sokil
Jr. Member ⚓︎

listen, there's music in the air

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: sokil
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023 @792.60 »

right now, i'm only subscribed to spotify premium ($5/mo) and playstation plus (about $11/mo).

i'm thinking about dropping playstation plus since i don't really play online as much as i used to. i plan to keep spotify premium until i can't use the student discount anymore.

in the future, i'll likely be adding a vpn and a domain. services to be determined.
any other subscription-based things i use (i.e. hbo max, amazon prime, nordvpn) is something i share with family and/or friends. these days, i've personally strayed away from using most streaming services; i got back into torrenting and i'm looking to setting up my own media server (would rather invest in that in the long run then pay for streaming services where i might only watch a couple things on them).

a drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind

corvid

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2023 @681.89 »

I try to keep it to things I use frequently, but I still have a lot and probably should cut back haha. Not all are monthly, I've been switching some to yearly because it's less expensive.

Spotify - I use it frequently and don't mind paying a bit to not get ads while I listen using my phone at work, even though I definitely wish that wasn't the case.
Youtube - Same as above - I listen to things when I sleep through my phone and don't want to be blasted with ads in my sleep.
Neocities - I have several sites on one account for ease.
Neopets - I play all the time, and I don't mind paying to upgrade in games I play frequently if it keeps it going. This one is off and on though since I'll take times off.
Patreon - I support several creators on there! A few are people I know and a few are people who make things I really like.
Twitch - I only have one twitch sub (and I also support him on patreon....) but it's a creator who I really really like.
Discord classic - I just want to use my emojis everywhere.
My domain - Self explanitory.
Audible - This one is recent but I've gotten books for cheaper than they actually go for using my credit and I've been listening to a lot of classics they have for free so it's worth it to me.
zanarkand
Jr. Member ⚓︎

october | they/them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: mintyorca
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023 @755.16 »

the only subscriptions i currently have are to patreon. i like being able to directly support artists i admire and it's cool to get exclusive/extra/early access to their work :) other than that, i reaalllyy don't want any subscriptions because i'm pretty poor lol! and besides it makes me anxious to have so many subs.

i used to have spotify, netflix, hulu, etc. but i just can't afford it anymore and honestly i don't need it! i am lucky to have a roommate with some subscriptions and then we have friends' logins for the rest that we don't have haha. i had amazon but i dropped it a long time ago because they're a terrible company and it wasn't even worth it because the products are so sketchy and hit or miss. i do have a cracked version of spotify and life would be hard without it XD i had youtube premium for a long time because i watch a lot of youtube but i despise ads. i have ublock but i heard youtube is starting to bypass ad blockers :(

Elagabalus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023 @866.46 »

Only a few.
  • Apple Music
  • mullvad vpn
  • 1password
  • proton mail
I know some of these overlap but I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket. I used to have bunch of streaming services but now I just download them if it is something I want to watch.

Bede
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood boygirl!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: azure

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2023 @350.09 »

I live in a home of multiple people, and we share our subscriptions! So other people have subscribed to (and I have access to) Netflix, HBO, and Apple Music.

I, myself, try not to subscribe to any services, as a principle. If I can't pirate it, then I guess I didn't need it as much as I thought I did!

The one exception is Discord Nitro, which I offer as an alternative way for others to pay me for my work, if they aren't able to send money directly. But I couldn't care less when it runs out, and I certainly never renew it with my own money.

I'm considering purchasing ad-free browsing for tumblr, and/or becoming a Neocities supporter, but, again, I try not to subscribe to anything. So I'm still sitting on those.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023 @871.83 by Bede » Logged

CELEBRATE THE REJECTS, EVISCERATE THE PRESETS ⋆。˚

kiki & ayano
Casual Poster ⚓︎

devour the past

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2023!
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2023 @581.26 »

with our own money, we mostly have recurring subscriptions to individual artists/creators to support them directly, but we also pay for neocities supporter status (willingly giving back to the space + i enjoy having a custom domain on blue moon falls especially) and nitro basic on discord because being able to use emotes in dms is unfortunately a really necessary communication tool for us in some cases. on the other hand, we benefit from youtube premium and various streaming services because of our family sharing subscriptions with us that we aren't involved in paying for. the only family subscription we really use is youtube premium though, youtube music is leagues better than spotify for our personal use and it's nice to give a tiny bit of money to the people we watch on there even with adblock - not that we weren't using adblock before, we were, but now it doesn't impact the revenue of creators we enjoy.

- ayano

過去喰らい尽くした
Yukari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

RISK IT for the BISCUIT

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2023 @888.97 »

I really don't like the way Neocities is run, but I've been subbed to it for about 2 years. And of course, I pay the yearly fee for my .gay domain.

I mooch off of my family and friends for: HBO Max, Paramount+, Disney+, and Amazon Prime
In return they mooch off our Crunchyroll and Netflix  :ok:

bby
Jr. Member ⚓︎

take my memories of her with u

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: bumblebear
iMood: dahliahawthorne
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2023 @638.50 »

current:
  • spotify premium - they're going up a dollar next month womp but i'm still staying with them. i like the yearly wrapped and i've been using them for probably close to a decade now
  • neocities supporter - been using neo since 2017, subscriber since 2019. i still love it, but i did just take my main website down so right now it's just for my extra sites. i want to learn php and some of the other things neo doesn't support, so i may move or just keep one site there for free. i think omg.lol sounds super cool and it would be cheaper than neo with a custom domain. so if anyone here has experience with omg.lol plz dm me on here (or i may reach out to you!) with ur experiences!
  • google one - the 200gb plan. was getting it essentially for free for like a year from the survey reward money lol. i use an android phone + tablet and i also use it for backing up some things on my desktop. may upgrade when i need more storage, we'll see! also would love recs for other backup services :)
  • nintendo switch online - on a friend's family plan so i don't pay for it anymore but i used to. don't play as much on switch since new horizons is dead, but i will be playing the exclusives like pokemon's dlc next month.
  • pokemon home - has all my pokemon from 3ds onward cause that was when i first started really playing the games. it's also only once a year which i like.
  • hulu - use my partner's. has almost all of my favorite shows so can't complain especially since i don't pay for it lol.
  • hbo max - friend gets it for free via their cell phone provider and they let me use it.
  • internet archive - currently only donate them a dollar whenever i use paypal (so it ends up being a few bucks usually a month). def need to start donating more than that since i use their services heavily

former:
  • pokemon bank - defunct lol. moved to home
  • netflix - have an account and have also used the hbo max friend's account whenever he has activated it. alright selection, mostly just want it for stranger things and black mirror lol
  • animal crossing: pocket camp plans - there's 3 now. i have tried all 3 in the past. don't play pocket camp currently.
  • paramount plus - also from hbo max friend. not active right now.
  • disney plus - once again, using hbo max friend's account. he doesn't have it active right now.
  • lastpass premium - moved to keepass xc. i don't recommend them at all, avoid!
  • world of warcraft subscription - not playing wow right now.
  • fallout 1st - not playing fallout 76 currently.
  • elder scrolls online plus - got burnt out on eso so not playing rn.
  • discord nitro - rip my old account that got nuked a couple days after i paid my sub. i hate that i miss a few things from it, but never again unless it's a gift from a friend lol. ugh i hate how i'm tied to their platform because of friends, reminds me of google+ and also the move from myspace to facebook.  :ziped:
  • twitch subs - just don't watch twitch honestly, but one of the subs i had was for an irl friend when he used to stream <3
  • patreon for luvmilk - an indie bath and body brand. their patreon is for exclusive scents and other stuff. not buying from them currently but may get it again next time i make an order!

i don't like to have a ton of subscriptions active at once, so i feel content with what i've got since monthly it's under $20. everything that i pay for now i consider essential and always have active. only one that may change is neocities, but honestly even if i do go to omg.lol i may still pay the supporter just cause i don't want the site to die.

makeup and stickers and ponies and myspace.com melonland.net! :ozwomp:

:sleep::wizard::happy:

:4u: digital pet hoard
:mail: wanna be pen pals?
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2023 @771.01 »

I'm currently subscribed to the following:

• Apple Music: same shitty business model as Spotify, but it's still tied to the iTunes store so I can buy tracks and the app came preinstalled on the Necronomipod that my mobile carrier gave me as a forced upgrade.
  • Neocities: I only used it for like a month, but I still haven't scrapped the $5 monthly donation.
  • Final Fantasy XIV: I came for the anime melodrama and Michael Moorcock pastiche, but I stayed for the friendship and symphonic power metal.
  • PlayStation Plus: sometimes they have decent freebies that I wouldn't have bothered to buy.
  • Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Disney+, Netflix: there are shows my wife likes and I can't be bothered to grab bootleg copies via bittorrent.
  • Nearly Free Speech: I host my website here. They're also my domain registrar. They're very DIY-friendly as long as you're using services that run on HTTP/HTTPS. (Daemons for IRC, Gopher, Gemini, etc are right out.)
  • Fastmail: sure, it costs me $50/month, but as long as I'm not sending mail to Gmail users Google can't mine my email to target "relevant" ads at me. And I can use my domain with them.
  • Vultr: when I need a virtual private server, I rent one here.

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2023 @85.89 »

I don’t subscribe to many services, I’m more of a home backup and media guy, but there are a couple of things I am subscribed to that do help me with my work.

• Neocities - because I want to show them my support and my support for the movement sorrounding it, but that may change in the future because the site seems to have been abandoned by the original team, and I want to try and use a VPS. (Can anyone recommend a good, cheap one, by the way?)
  • Filen - To give me 5TB of cloud storage, which is way more than I may ever need!
  • Ionos - I have a yearly subscription that gives me a .scot domain for my game dev website, and also an email address.
  • Memrise - I bought a lifetime subscription years ago, which gives me premium for life, so I guess this technically counts.
  • MullvadVPN - This was the VPN everyone has recommended to me, and so far, it’s served me well.
  • I subscribed to buy some blank Maxell UR cassettes every 6 months on Amazon to support the only halfway decent brand of tapes still in production.
  • Spotify Premium Family Plan - My family pays for most of it, I only chip in like a couple of quid a month, and that’s even if they remember to charge me for it. I only really use it to record songs onto mixtapes.

Former
  • ProtonVPN - I bought a 2-year subscription to this, which is still to run out, but I unsubscribed because I did a bit of research behind the company, and they’re known to have ratted out activists to governments and police on several occasions, so I just use it on my phone, as it works better than Mullvad on there, but when it runs out, I won’t be renewing it.
  • Cineworld Unlimited Card - For those not in the know, Cineworld is an English brand of cinemas, and they have cinemas all across the British isles. They have a card which they claim can let me see as many movies as I want for free. A few years ago, I bought a subscription, but there were no good films around, so I wanted to cancel it, but it turns out, it’s a 12 month contract.
    I was not aware of this, and the advertisements for the cards only mentioned it in the fine print on the bottom in text so small that even I, someone who has so far never needed glasses, had trouble reading!
    I felt scammed, and was forced to pay for a card I barely even used for a whole year, and the worst bit is, when I did want to see a film that year after January, the card didn’t even f!#@ing work! What an absolute con!
    I’d strongly advise against giving these people any money at all, let alone consider getting the card yourself, it’s not worth it!

• Fastmail: sure, it costs me $50/month, but as long as I'm not sending mail to Gmail users Google can't mine my email to target "relevant" ads at me. And I can use my domain with them.
  • Vultr: when I need a virtual private server, I rent one here.

Wait, Google mines other email addresses/providers for targeted ads?! Goddamn, there’s no escaping them, is there?

Will check out Vultur, though!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023 @97.86 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2023 @140.34 »

Wait, Google mines other email addresses/providers for targeted ads?! Goddamn, there’s no escaping them, is there?

I don't think that's what I actually said, but let me try to clarify. If thisguy@fastmail.com sends an email to thatguy@gmail.com, the email he sent can be data-mined as soon as it ends up in thatguy@gmail.com's inbox, because it's in thatguy@gmail.com's inbox. If you sent email to thisotherguy@outlook.com, Google won't have that email, but Microsoft will.

Does that help at all?

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2023 @558.32 »

I don't think that's what I actually said, but let me try to clarify. If thisguy@fastmail.com sends an email to thatguy@gmail.com, the email he sent can be data-mined as soon as it ends up in thatguy@gmail.com's inbox, because it's in thatguy@gmail.com's inbox. If you sent email to thisotherguy@outlook.com, Google won't have that email, but Microsoft will.

Does that help at all?

Yeah, you said targeting ads to me, implying to me that it was you who the ads would be targeting to. Thanks for clarifying.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 60
Views: 8284
Last post September 07, 2024 @193.80
by halcybutton
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by MemoryBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 61
Views: 6863
Last post Today at @10.50
by garystu
Hot Tip for finding obscure gaming/Let's Play YouTube channels

Started by MemoryBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 826
Last post February 28, 2023 @973.90
by SilkSkull

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi