Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 27, 2024 - @780.39 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 76/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  What was your first source of gender envy?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What was your first source of gender envy?  (Read 1202 times)
BananaBoots
Jr. Member ⚓︎

↑ Soooooo normal about him (lying)

StatusCafe: bananaboots
iMood: bananaboots
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: July 18, 2023 @970.08 »

I'm curious, what was your first ever source of gender envy, whether or not you realised it at the time?

Mine was Douglas Hodge as Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Musical. I was a kid when I saw it and I remember being hit with such a huge wave of "I want to be him". Fast-forward however many years and I don't necessarily want to look like him but the sentiment is definitely still there. I would absolutely love to steal his vibes, thank you very much.

EDIT: A definition of the term gender envy for anyone unfamiliar: It's when you're envious of someone else whether that's because of their appearance, voice, mannerisms, or something else entirely but in a way that's specifically relating to gender identity or presentation.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023 @734.35 by BananaBoots » Logged

Boots (it/he)

tarraxahum
Full Member ⚓︎

Xx_O_o_xX

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: tarraxahum
iMood: tarraxahum
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023 @5.34 »

Siiigh

Listen, my answer will sound like I'm ten or twenty years older than I am, 'cause I think it was more common for that generation.

But Ellen DeGeneres.

Whose show does not run where I live so it was, like, a discovery. Through Tumblr gifs no less, I believe.

'Cause, well. Before that I had never ever ever seen someone of my AGAB be, uh. Any more masculine than an average Hollywood celebrity on a red carpet in the early 10s. Aka the cute pixie cut and a feminine suit tailored to an inch of its life plus a full face of glamorous make up AT BEST. Usually a dress and long hair tho. You get it.

And then I was presented with this woman who constantly wore a suit and had a very short hair and yes some make up but not a lot and. Still wore a suit at red carpets and stuff. And not a feminine suit on heels. A loose suit and shoes or converse. Suspenders sometimes. Wow, I can do that? Big if true.

...So maybe my first conscious gender expression was cutting my hair and trying to wear suits everywhere because of a 55+ (at the time) years old talk show host with (as it turns out?) shady work ethics. Like twenty years late to the party after it was a thing to 'realize things about yourself' because of her coming out in the 90s.

(Oh yeah, and she also has a wife, that was another thing that made me envious for SOME reason. Wonder why!)

I'm not entirely sure if that falls under the gender envy definition as we use it fandom-ly, but that's what comes to mind.

I honestly dunno if I had anyone before and just misremember 'cause I didn't have a frame of reference to understand the feeling. Does Balto (the cartoon) count...? :D

"Why change the past, when you can own this day?" (c)
Bede
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood boygirl!

StatusCafe: azure

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023 @75.93 »

I certainly did not know what I was feeling at the time, but mine was Kisshu from Tokyo Mew Mew. It was the first time that I had seen a male character wearing anything other than what was considered a Good Christian-Approved Outfit, with him wearing a crop top that showed his belly, plus pants so flowy that they almost resembled a skirt. On top of that, he was able to fly, and the poses he would strike while in the air were often more "feminine". And all of THAT in combination made me Feel Things.

First gif is from the original anime that I grew up watching. Second is from the very recent reboot that made me realize, yes, I WOULD still like his gender, thank you.

CELEBRATE THE REJECTS, EVISCERATE THE PRESETS ⋆。˚

YoungsterJ4y
Casual Poster ⚓︎

im just a lil guy

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023 @131.99 »

ash ketchum as a very small child. I wanted to be him SO bad..

"You're telling me these rats are all transgender?!"
weezerismyfriend
Newbie ⚓︎

weezer fan

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023 @145.44 »

Hear me out  :tongue:

the animated kratt brothers

skull-aton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Skell || They/Them

iMood: skull_aton

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023 @328.33 »

Brendon Urie.

It's funny because I'm not SUPER masc presenting. But it's that weird middle ground of "I wish I could look like him" and "gosh he's so handsome"

like, him in heels? Absolute vibe.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023 @450.29 by skull-aton » Logged

:ozwomp: :ha: :4u: partyin in the graveyard :4u: :ha: :ozwomp:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023 @447.41 »

Gerard Way... Specifically from the Black Parade era! Though any era of Gerard Way seems to do it for me, this was just the strongest.

juniper-fairy12
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023 @68.77 »

It has to be David Bowie. I still don't know if I want him or I want to BE him lol

:unite:Juniper:unite:
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023 @97.64 »

Personally it had to have either been Sailor Moon or Aeris from FF7, they were just so pretty and the feminine magical healer sort of trope really appealed to me. (also shoutout to FF7 for putting cloud in a dress and showing me the wonders of cute boys wearing dresses)

I certainly did not know what I was feeling at the time, but mine was Kisshu from Tokyo Mew Mew. It was the first time that I had seen a male character wearing anything other than what was considered a Good Christian-Approved Outfit, with him wearing a crop top that showed his belly, plus pants so flowy that they almost resembled a skirt. On top of that, he was able to fly, and the poses he would strike while in the air were often more "feminine". And all of THAT in combination made me Feel Things.

First gif is from the original anime that I grew up watching. Second is from the very recent reboot that made me realize, yes, I WOULD still like his gender, thank you.

I've never seen this anime but I love the character and I so want to be that

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

zanarkand
Jr. Member ⚓︎

october | they/them

iMood: mintyorca

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023 @918.74 »

this is such a good topic. mine was definitely sheik from legend of zelda. i didn't even have the game but i would go over to my friend's house and play it on her brother's gamecube while she was at swim practice and i did NOT know what feelings i was having towards this character but they were STRONG. i remember seeing an action figure of sheik at the toy store and i wanted to ask for it from my mom sooo bad but i had this feeling like she was going to just KNOW about my weird feelings that i didn't even understand ahaha. i was definitely drawn to the androgyny and mysteriousness of the character and it's pretty obvious why!

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023 @183.44 »

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was this girl who was in my class in elementary and middle school. When I was in 5th grade I was convinced that I had a crush on her but looking back I kind of think it was just gender envy, because she was the #1 girly girl of the class, and now I'm a total girly girl, and I've always been pretty girly, and also I'm 100% straight now so it doesn't make sense for me to have actually had a crush on a girl, and when I actually think about proper crushes I've had it's only been on guys.

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

mousiecat
Newbie ⚓︎

they/them

StatusCafe: mousiecat
iMood: mousiecat

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023 @14.75 »

Love everyone's answers!

For me it's always been the bad boys with a heart of gold, especially Shawn from Boy Meets World and Jess from Gilmore Girls. They represented my inner angst so well! Definitely had some "dobedobedo" confusion with virtually every boy I had a crush on.

Shawn (left) and Jess (right)
  :cool: 
Casual Poster ⚓︎

she's an angel to you... but she's a devil to me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2023 @76.72 »

i dont know why but it's mettaton from undertale(i got into UT when i was 11!), i dont think i realized until recently this year that's  what it is O_O i dont even know why either
mettaton is gender.... i dont make the rules :4u:

oh, it is love
from the first time i set my eyes upon yours
thinking,
"oh, is it love?"
Thorn
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2023 @426.77 »

My first gender envy was from three different anime characters within a month of each other: Haruhi Fujioka from Ouran High School Host Club, Ranma from Ranma 1/2, and Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I saw all three of those characters, immediately said "oh it me and I wish I could also actually be that", and then ignored my enby gender crisis for 4 more years.

Edit: image sizing issues
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023 @429.27 by Thorn » Logged

OwO Like a scientist
UwU like a punk
>w< like an anarchist
night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rule 1: Throw the bone!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2023 @4.43 »

Shadow the Hedgehog. He just had that "it" factor for me as a young'n. I think it was the emotional realness in the Japanese dub of Sonic X, and his rivalry level in Generations.

Tiny Roman Appreciator

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 35
Views: 3225
Last post April 10, 2024 @598.32
by Misanthropic Monster™
Inspiration sources - where do you go for inspiration?

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 9
Views: 1132
Last post December 05, 2022 @981.02
by 1337nightbug
Whats the best thing you've ever bought?

Started by JackFrostBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 17
Views: 1344
Last post August 30, 2023 @895.19
by Scootarooni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi