Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @195.37 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 28/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!
| | |-+  What do you do to help yourself feel better when you feel low?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What do you do to help yourself feel better when you feel low?  (Read 640 times)
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: July 23, 2023 @989.34 »

I've been going through a very hard time lately. Usually, when I'm sad I like to surround myself with my loved ones - they help give me perspective and help me escape - but times have been really hard for them, too.

Going for walks, spending time outdoors, & doing yoga are activities I usually enjoy, but lately there's been wildfire smoke in my area, extreme heat, and I have also felt ill and fatigued.. As for my other hobbies (writing, reading, coding my site), sometimes when I'm too sad, I have trouble focusing on them or staying motivated.

After I send this post, I'm going to try taking myself out for a walk, and bring a book with me to read at the park - but I thought I'd ask what helps you guys feel better when you're feeling low. Maybe it will give me some new ideas on what to do, or at least help me get to know you guys better.

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023 @996.63 »

This one is specific to me, but I love to play an old console, watch a VHS tape or a Laserdisc. It really helps me feel at ease. I also like to practice homebrew development.

When that's not an option, I like to try and chat with friends or watch speedrun streams or streams like Reteostrange or the Old Timey Computer Show.

Failing even that, I just like to go for a walk while listening to a mixtape.

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023 @2.18 »

I hope you and your loved ones will feel better soon and the wildfires stop :unite:

When I have absolutely no energy or feel sick or I am in pain, I really like putting on comfort movies or series; I pivot to girly shows/movies or cartoons; could be Mean Girls, that Nutcracker Barbie movie, Phineas and Ferb, She-Ra etc. and I allow myself to drift in and out of sleep and just rest. I make myself my favorite beverage often, and I make myself pretty little snack plates that don't require much effort but look great and nourish me. If I can manage, a hot bath or shower makes me feel a bit more in control again and I use the time for some hair care, a facial mask, moisturizing my body, and all that.
I also enjoy journaling for these times, to just let out all my worries and concerns, ideas, predictions for the future, a message to future me, an unsent letter about someone I am mad at.

If I have the energy for it, I can do some more things; like exercising. I have an indoor spinning bike and a mat, and I found that the more I sweat, the better I feel mentally after the exercise. I don't really have an explanation, but I feel pretty euphoric when I am absolutely drenched compared to just a little warm, even if it's just the heat that gets me and not the difficulty of exercise.
I also make plans or appointments just so I go outside, get a walk in and a little reward. Could be booking a massage, getting my nails done again, grabbing a nice beverage at a local café, etc. and I need need need to take walks in the green at least once a week or I go insane, so I try to make time for that at work during lunch and at home, but luckily there hasn't been a wildfire here.
So if I am not low energy, I am usually walking, exercising, and out there planning rewards for myself.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023 @3.65 by shevek » Logged

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023 @24.88 »

My cats purr when I hug them, which always helps. Hell, Purrseus purrs at the slightest provocation, thus the name. Listening to European power metal also helps.

AutisticAsFxxk
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Rachel (she/her/xe/xem)

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023 @245.46 »

Hope things get better for you soon! :4u:

For me, I tend to sleep a lot when I'm feeling low. I also vent to my loved ones, watch my comfort youtube videos, listen to my favourite music, and walk around my house (then again, I have ADHD so I walk around my house a lot regardless of how I'm feeling!)

AutisticAsFxxk.com - For Autistic punks, rebels and misfits forging their own path in a neurotypical world.
arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: arcus
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023 @513.21 »

I rewatch my favourite shows, or listen to them if I don't have enough energy to focus on them while curled up in bed. Sometimes when I can't focus, but I'm not completely drained, I'll save art, look at art that I've saved before, and go through my old art. If I have a lot on my mind, I'll write or type down my thoughts somewhere private or simply not online, and go through my old entries. And when I'm too tired to cook or don't have the concentration for it, I put on frozen meals so I have something nice to eat, without having to worry about burning it.

I hope things improve for you soon.

di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023 @103.10 »

I've loved reading all your replies! Y'all have unique hobbies & quirks, and reminded me of some new things I can try to spice things up.

Update, I did end up going for a walk after writing that post. It was great. :cheesy: I brought a beach blanket and laid it out on a grassy field, put on sunscreen, and laid down, and took turns watching the blue sky and reading a new book. I stayed out for about an hour or two, til the sun started to set, and the pink clouds & the crescent moon were such pretty sights. My heart felt full.

I should try listening to some music outdoors some time, like Cobra mentioned.

I also enjoy journaling for these times, to just let out all my worries and concerns, ideas, predictions for the future, a message to future me, an unsent letter about someone I am mad at.
If I have a lot on my mind, I'll write or type down my thoughts somewhere private or simply not online, and go through my old entries.

Journaling is an activity I really should have been practicing more lately. When life gets hard, I avoid journaling because I don't have anything positive to say. It's as if, if I don't write about it, I can ignore what's happening - but it's still important to keep it up. It helps me stay mindful, it helps me clear my head.

Thank you for your kindness & feel free to keep the replies coming

Spots
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023 @239.50 »

When I'm depressed, I usually just do things that are familiar and comforting to me and don't take much energy like playing familiar video games and listening to music. Going outside and getting some fresh air also helps.

fatgrrlz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

She/They Girl-thing

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023 @869.73 »

I hang out with my girlfriend, she always finds ways to make me feel better :3

Sans girlfriend, first thing I do is get some water or snacks, or go take a shower - more often than not, when I don’t feel well mentally, it’s because I’m lacking in some physical need.

I also like to go outside or another room for a change of scenery. I do this a lot at work when the workload gets overwhelming. If it’s bad and I’m experiencing sensory issues, I’ll go into an empty office and turn off the lights and just breathe. Sometimes if it sucks, hit the bricks (temporarily).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 39
Views: 4560
Last post July 26, 2024 @631.31
by spiralstaircase
Whats the best thing you've ever bought?

Started by JackFrostBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 17
Views: 1860
Last post August 30, 2023 @895.19
by Scootarooni
What helped you code html/css easy?

Started by LIABoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 17
Views: 1884
Last post October 11, 2023 @152.56
by flowers

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi