Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @494.59 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 67/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Using your website to help reinforce learning a new language? (Or other skill!)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using your website to help reinforce learning a new language? (Or other skill!)  (Read 418 times)
Snackish Magpie
Casual Poster ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 01, 2023 @673.06 »

I'm currently trying to learn my partner's native language, and was thinking about how I could incorporate my website into learning to try keep things from melting out my noggin! Maybe having a page where I put notes for each "lesson", or keeping a diary partially/wholly in my target language (or both)!  :dive:

Has anyone else used their website as a tool to reinforce learning? If so, what did you do and how did you find it!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023 @953.66 »

Ohhhh I recently made a page fitting this description exactly last month! And then... promptly didn't use it because of IRL situations :D However, I'm revamping it soon for it to be of more use in future! I find it particularly useful to write down what I've learnt from language learning lessons as well as crafting a sentence or two based off my current knowledge. It's nice to watch my paragraphs grow bigger and bigger in my target language, whether I'm writing about it digitally or not. It's the best way I learn based off previous experiences, and so I have notebooks full of just mundane ramblings in different languages LOL. In any case, I think it's a really useful and cute idea to keep a specific diary/progress tracker of your target language! I hope to be using mine much more in future.

Here is the page if you're curious to see!
grovyle

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023 @796.04 »

I've never used a personal website for something like that, personally, but I think my input could be helpful either way haha. I find that theory notes, I remember the most of if I take them by hand. For ~internet stuff~ I prefer doing (and reading) some king of journal in the target language. If you don't know a word, it can be enriching to try to find a synonim, or to look it up and take notes of that, and it's also really fun seeing the progress one makes. From saying "my name is X, I'm from Y and it's sunny today" to being able to express nuanced opinions. It's really rewarding when I do it myself, and really fun to read when someone else does!
purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023 @851.02 »

Yes! I have a section specifically for language learning links, a series of posts on techniques for learning languages that I find helpful, and I was also attempting to translate the articles that make up the website itself into several different languages with the hope of making them accessible to more people.

Here is the page if you're curious to see!

Wonderful page! Those song selections are exquisite. While I know they are different languages, I really love both Scottish Gaelic and Irish folk music.

Kallistero
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SOON.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023 @568.00 »

This is actually in the plans for my site!  :dog:

The plan is to have several different skills that I want to train up, like music production, electronics design, exercise records, digital art, and, yes, a foreign language. Links to their progress pages will all be shown on one page, showing basic progress summaries until you click through them to see their individual pages.

:cheerR: My priority list for those pages goes like this:
  • FIRST priority, those pages will have plans for the next thing to do or goal to reach.
  • SECOND priority, they'll have links & references to any helpful resources, maybe sometimes have a featured video displayed that it helps to keep a reference to.
  • THIRD priority, the pages will point out specific information that's been useful to me.
  • FOURTH priority, track any milestones that I am or will be proud of having gotten to.
  • FIFTH priority, make pages that I can use to experiment with those specific skills, like a page that maps your key presses to a piano keyboard on the page (which has been done before but could be much better designed) or an electric diagram builder for electronics design. Have those web tool pages displayed somewhere accessible so other people can use them, but on these skill-tracker pages, just have your relevant web tools linked so they're accessible from the skill pages themselves.
My fifth priority for these pages is a first priority for the site overall, as I want the site to be something useful for other people, and it gives me something to pour more passion into on the site.

I can't help others if I don't put similar effort into helping myself, though; I'd have nothing left if I didn't!  :grin:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023 @569.65 by kallistero » Logged

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5446
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1863
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni
Website status (Check replies for part 2)

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 8
Views: 2078
Last post December 26, 2021 @841.50
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi