Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @206.34 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  youtube clones

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: youtube clones  (Read 1048 times)
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: August 10, 2023 @610.52 »

what are your favorite youtube clones/alternatives?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023 @700.75 by lime360 » Logged

Kallistero
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SOON.

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023 @693.01 »

If I really want the old YouTube experience, I can go to Vidlii  :ozwomp:

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023 @839.40 »

If I really want the old YouTube experience, I can go to Vidlii  :ozwomp:

vidlii is filled with neo-nazis bro
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023 @532.58 by lime360 » Logged

Kallistero
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SOON.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023 @849.53 »

vidlii is filled with neo-nazis bro

By the same metric, Bitview is also filled with neo-nazis. It's not "filled with" them if you have to actually look for them in order to find them. Bitview does look like it has cleaner moderation though; Vidlii seems as if it's letting gore videos & piracy slide as long as it gets people looking. Old YouTube still had the piracy along with some other stuff, but gore videos weren't allowed to blow up like they do on Vidlii.

I choose Bitview!  :unite:

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023 @921.62 »

Yeah, Vidlii really went down since it was sold off to the admins of the Russian equivalent of [auto redacted]. Last time I visited, an admin was spreading pro-Russian lies and propaganda while the very few pro-Ukrainian statements got flooded with more Russian lies. It is unfortunate as I used to use that site before this selling happened.

Don't know much about BitView though, I guess it doesn't have this issue?
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Any/All

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023 @990.41 »

Does anyone remember Vlare? It was created by the same guy who created VidLii.

https://altipedia.fandom.com/wiki/Vlare

:ozwomp: my beloved

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023 @2.79 »

I do, I was big on using that until it went down.

The story goes that a copyright notice took them down. Shortly before it did, I uploaded an Amazing World of Gumball YTP (or VLP, I guess) on it. I'm concerned I was the one who triggered it...

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023 @426.15 »

Last year, Bitview didn't work for three months or so, so I picked Vidlii instead.

Yes, it seems to be completly unregulated, however that also has some advantages. Some interesting old animes can be found there and nobody cares about copyrights. In the end, it's like with Youtube: Just pick wisely what you watch and you'll have a good time there. In Vidliis case, just expect the worst of the worst to be hidden behind some random thumbnails. Lots of ugly stuff... but from a technical perspective, the website is quite efficent (as opposed to the Peertubes) and reliable.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023 @448.34 »

Yeah, I used that. If it was copyright, idk why they didn't just delete offending video like Youtube does. I'm a tiny bit concerned as to who bought the database and where it ended up...
Memory
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023 @748.78 »

The thing with YouTube alternatives is just that for the average creator, they do not offer advantages over YouTube. In fact, you get way less engagement, barely any discoverability, and usually issues with storage size, video quality and the fact that way less people are willing to follow or visit you if you are on an unknown site. Like it or not, the main reason for people to create good content is that they get comments, likes, friends and build a community around it.

The only reason creators would choose a YouTube replacement is if their content would get them banned on YouTube: neo-nazis, conspiracy theorists, who cannot possibly use YouTube for their opinions.

And those few non-crazy creators who are willing to overlook the lack of any reactions, potential fanbase or discoverability for the sake of an ethical YouTube replacement are not the same ones who put a lot of effort into producing high quality content.

Because: Nobody makes a really cool Let's Play series with a lot of effort and editing put into it if they end up getting ~10 views and no comments.

And the site owners know that. Creators are their source of income (and hosting videos is expensive). The neo-nazis are the only ones driving engagement on the platform; not the random stolen anime clips, copyright infringements and spam videos. That's why they tolerate and cater to them there, that's why the front pages of Odyssey and BitView and whatever all the sites are called are full of hateful content, conspiracies and random piracy.

The only YouTube alternative I can imagine working would be a Fediverse instance of Peertube, specifically moderated and catered to high-quality content of a certain niche. If you can convince parts of a fandom or an interest group (for example around a certain game or genre of video) to move ship, you can make a highly specialized instance and build a community there.

I personally produced videos for Spectra.Video in the past, but I didn't get much engagement there either, and the other videos on there aren't really that watchable or high quality.
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Any/All

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023 @46.09 »

The thing with YouTube alternatives is just that for the average creator, they do not offer advantages over YouTube. In fact, you get way less engagement, barely any discoverability, and usually issues with storage size, video quality and the fact that way less people are willing to follow or visit you if you are on an unknown site. Like it or not, the main reason for people to create good content is that they get comments, likes, friends and build a community around it.

The only reason creators would choose a YouTube replacement is if their content would get them banned on YouTube: neo-nazis, conspiracy theorists, who cannot possibly use YouTube for their opinions.

And those few non-crazy creators who are willing to overlook the lack of any reactions, potential fanbase or discoverability for the sake of an ethical YouTube replacement are not the same ones who put a lot of effort into producing high quality content.

Because: Nobody makes a really cool Let's Play series with a lot of effort and editing put into it if they end up getting ~10 views and no comments.

And the site owners know that. Creators are their source of income (and hosting videos is expensive). The neo-nazis are the only ones driving engagement on the platform; not the random stolen anime clips, copyright infringements and spam videos. That's why they tolerate and cater to them there, that's why the front pages of Odyssey and BitView and whatever all the sites are called are full of hateful content, conspiracies and random piracy.

The only YouTube alternative I can imagine working would be a Fediverse instance of Peertube, specifically moderated and catered to high-quality content of a certain niche. If you can convince parts of a fandom or an interest group (for example around a certain game or genre of video) to move ship, you can make a highly specialized instance and build a community there.

I personally produced videos for Spectra.Video in the past, but I didn't get much engagement there either, and the other videos on there aren't really that watchable or high quality.

Yea, that explains VidLii's current state. But for my time on Odysee I don't find myself seeing nazi or gore videos like on VidLii, it's mostly geeks who are into crypto and there isn't anything wrong with that. The worst I have seen on Odysee are the comments.

I also remember a interview with the new VidLii owners who said that they wanted to avoid the nazi crap but it seems they changed gears.
Here is a link for those who are curious: https://www.vidlii.com/watch?v=gKRB3I5rBLG
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023 @86.08 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

serenefork
Jr. Member ⚓︎

a Beanie Buddy!

StatusCafe: serenefork
iMood: serenefork

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023 @67.26 »

I enjoy BitView! I only really watch the Nightcore videos and Flipnote animations on there though... I think a video sharing platform that could compete with YouTube would be really nice, especially since YouTube just removed the homepage for users who don't have watch history on. :tnt:

(he/they)

wetnoodle
Full Member ⚓︎

a silly lil goose

View Profile WWW

LifeParticipated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2023 @45.79 »

If you want a android app alternative, newpipe has been working super well for me!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 57
Views: 7753
Last post May 03, 2024 @343.02
by garystu
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by MemoryBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 59
Views: 6448
Last post June 26, 2024 @893.10
by polychrome
Hot Tip for finding obscure gaming/Let's Play YouTube channels

Started by MemoryBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 757
Last post February 28, 2023 @973.90
by SilkSkull

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi