Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @321.92 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 31/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  OLD TECH!!!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: OLD TECH!!!  (Read 1204 times)
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 30, 2023 @599.29 »

If there's one thing I love, it's old technology; high quality, beautifully designed pieces of work that exude professionalism and quality. Along with being well put together, they also have the most awesome sounds, of switches and buttons and dials and other little doodads. I dont know what it is about this stuff, but seeing cool old tech in my school, like the Mavica I found in my art class, flips a switch in my adhd filled brain that makes me really excited. Finding this stuff in the wild is especially awesome, I found not only the Mavica, but also a Sony CFD-510 and some mini double-sided DVDs in the gym's storage room, which I both kept. When I see stuff like that, it just makes me so excited and I immediately wanna take it home and use it and care for it. Even if I can't keep it, I'll still fiddle with it and check it out and take photos of it. And if there's one thing I really have to hold myself back from doing, its just sneaking into the storage closets and digging around for stuff. I can't help but imagine all the wondrous old technology that could be hiding, just waiting to be found.
Anyways I really wanna see some cool and unique old tech. Post whatever cool and awesome tech y'all have found in the replies. It can be old computers, nifty telephones, record players, boomboxes, and the works! AND SEND PICTURES TOO! (i like seeing the pictures of the tech :> )

urgellx
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Lost on the web

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023 @610.09 »

I've got this little thing here but i don't have a lot of games for it :

I'll maybe write software for it someday, see if it's anything interesting or not.
The only other "old" things that i have is an old PS/2 keyboard and a Playstation 1 & 2 but
that's not very interesting.

Have a good day Dude.  :dog:

Héhé, écoute, derrière y'avait pas mal de vent.
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023 @633.25 »

Woah a ZX spectrum! Pretty awesome microcomputer

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023 @644.79 »

I got 2 3DOs needing recapped. I got the PAL model today for a decent price (all things considered, anyway). It's interesting to inspect the differences with the 2 models externally.

For those who don't know, the 3DO was in the same generation as the Playstation and Nintendo 64, and it beat both to the market, but it flopped due to it's high price at the time, and when the price went down, the Saturn and PS1 were already out, making the 3DO look outdated by comparison. It's smack dab in the middle of a limbo era where people could now do 3D games, but had no idea what to do with the tech, which results in many weird and interesting games!

Reason I have 2 is because one is PAL, and one is NTSC. While the 3DO is generally region-free, some games only work in one region.

The FZ-1 model, pictured above, reportedly has issues with capacitors going bad, and I and others think this is what's happened to both these systems. Funnily enough, one has no video, and the other has no sound. Hopefully I can get both repaired and enjoy the system!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023 @648.00 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Salty
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Internet Renaissance Woman

StatusCafe: saltedslug
iMood: saltedslug

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023 @172.43 »

I'm actually working on a whole section of my website dedicated to my "old" tech! I don't have any pages cobbled together quite yet because I am making goofy, dithered .gifs of them all on Photoshop..
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024 @794.62 by Salty » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023 @834.98 »

Iv been enjoying installing an SSD and re-doing all the software on an old PowerBook G4 from 2002! I actually got setup with a program I normally use with my windows PC for syncing the mouse and keyboard from my main mac (it basically lets you use one mouse and keyboard across multiple computers as if they were just other monitors) - they even have a REALLY old version of the program for G4 macs, so Im able to use my modern macs mouse an keyboard with the G4 wirelessly! 
:ozwomp:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Memory
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023 @922.06 »

i have the nikon coolpix s3100!! it's from february 2011, i decorated it with stickers and a ciconia when they cry keychain :D
the second image attached has a pretty bad picture i took of my cat licking my vinyls. i really like old digital cameras and i would like to collect more..

they're on my neocities already, but here are a couple pictures i uploaded from the camera via my computer (they were taken when i was visiting florida as you can tell from the trees. i am from new england)
soapfriendo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

soap, it/they

iMood: soapfriendo

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023 @297.67 »

i have a few things!! a gamecube and a hockey puck mouse on top of a powermac g4, none of these have rly been used since i don't have anything to hook em up with, but i love em a lotttt

* stuff.png (416.09 kB, 768x576 - viewed 21 times.)

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023 @564.16 »

I found this Polaroid EE100 Special in its box in the physics class storage room :3

* WIN_20231013_08_23_31_Pro.jpg (460.38 kB, 2592x1944 - viewed 18 times.)

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023 @90.69 »

Iv been enjoying installing an SSD and re-doing all the software on an old PowerBook G4 from 2002! I actually got setup with a program I normally use with my windows PC for syncing the mouse and keyboard from my main mac (it basically lets you use one mouse and keyboard across multiple computers as if they were just other monitors) - they even have a REALLY old version of the program for G4 macs, so Im able to use my modern macs mouse an keyboard with the G4 wirelessly! 
:ozwomp:

Oh man, I really wish there was something like this that works with Windows 98 and MacOS9. I’d totally have those set up with my Ubuntu PC! :ozwomp:

Unrelated, but I’ve been thinking about getting into HD-DVD lately. I’ve been told later Xbox 360 models can play them, and even some 4k players can be modded to play them also, and you can get big job lots of dozens of movies for next to nothing! Only issue is the way they were made disc rot is very common, so they’re a gamble, but honestly could be fun!

egbert
Jr. Member ⚓︎

dumpster diver who is a girl named bert

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023 @649.24 »

i was about to make a topic to show off my outdated* tech but im glad theres this one :^)
now, some of the items in the pics aren't very old cuz my thread would be about outdated* tech, meaning while my instant camera and phone are recent there are more convenient cameras and phones out there lol so just ignore them :^) i won't be listing the instant camera

time to list the brands and models :^D
°Otaki 7410L lw/mw/fm radio cassette tape recorder
°Olympus TripXB400 analog camera
°Ciatronic CDP 549 compact disc player
°Ciatronic CDP 512 compact disc player
°Philips PD7000B/12 portable dvd player
°Panafone TH-2200 tone/pulse switchable system (????)
°Sony NWZ-B135F digital music player (walkman)
°(I have no idea what brand the keyboard is) Model ACK-260A

I found the radio, keyboard and telephone in the trash, while i bought the instax, and the rest of it all belonged to my mom  :grin:

egbert
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023 @658.44 »

but idk. i cant find any info on the phone's manufacturers out there so they may have went out of business, that's an old person thing to do right? i have no idea what era the telephone is from. i assumed it was recent but i examined it a bit and like, its really weirdly made. it may be old. idk.

egbert
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023 @668.28 »

i also have all this old-ass software. the boxed cd-roms were obtained recently. my school was just giving free stuff out. they're still doing it kehehe. in waiting for more old software to be given out. i really like the windows 2000 manual. im buying a new computer tomorrow i hope so i cant wait to see what the contents are. also a ton of old casettes i guess

sometimes i bag old crts off the street but my mom doesnt like that and i let her judgement pressure me into getting rid of them. ah well. i also have a ton of old magazines i found in the trash. they span from the 80s to the early 2010's! i love trash

devils
Full Member ⚓︎

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023 @460.13 »

Sadly, all the old tech I've had is stored in a storage room... I've been meaning to go there to look for some stuff, including the first computer I ever used, the iMac g3 (specifically the tangerine one). I hope it's still there! I'd love to have it again...

The only old tech I have on me right now is a cobalt blue Gameboy Advance SP. Is that even considered old tech? A lot of kids don't even know what it is, which makes me feel a bit old...

Remember to eat dessert <3
Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2023 @521.31 »

The only old tech I have on me right now is a cobalt blue Gameboy Advance SP. Is that even considered old tech? A lot of kids don't even know what it is, which makes me feel a bit old...

I'd say it counts, it's 20 years old this year, which makes me feel very old...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Old Games + New Technology = <3

Started by MemoryBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 14
Views: 1874
Last post September 06, 2022 @10.02
by Zusk
Why is Big Tech art so soulless??

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 13
Views: 2303
Last post April 07, 2024 @309.80
by tertiaryapocalypse
Old technology you DON’T like

Started by Cobra!Board ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 12
Views: 1427
Last post August 06, 2023 @714.66
by dirtnap

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi