Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @104.72 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 896.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings
| | | |-+  Old, weird, and alternative online spaces

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Old, weird, and alternative online spaces  (Read 1229 times)
Sofly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Oh hey hi

⛺︎ My Room
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: September 08, 2023 @692.65 »

Oh hey hi

When i mention "online space", you probably have a clear idea of what that could possibly mean; Twitter is an online space, so is youtube, and facebook, and this very forum and the many others out there, but i'm sure you probably know there's more to it

However, when i talk about "online space" i'm not necessarily talking about websites, i want to dedicate this thread to the probably not that numerous spaces that preceded even the oldest of websites, and i feel there's no better place to begin than with the BBS

BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) began in the 80's, when a blizzard in California inspired a computer club to think of a way of communicating using their computers, the solution?, using the Telnet protocol and a bit of creativity to create a virtual Bulletin Board where people could post what they needed and communicate with each other

Over time, that primitive technology evolved, incorporating instant messaging, e-mail, and even games; all accompanied with amazing ANSI art. Sadly, as you can imagine, once the web, e-mail, and the likes became more available to the average person, BBSes fell into obscurity, although you can still visit some with a client such as SyncTERM and a directory such as the Telnet BBS guide

If you want to learn more about BBSes i highly recommend the Back To the BBS documentary by Al's geek lab, it's really in-depth and interesting

Is there any other example of a weird or niche online space you want to talk about?, personally i want to investigate more about Gopher and Gemini, but if you have any other examples, feel free to talk about them  :transport:

Profile pic is from Secret Little Haven
BinaryDigit
Newbie ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023 @581.17 »

Ohh thank you for this. I discovered the web in the late 90s and never experienced the BBS. I'm going to watch this series. 

I used to love IRC, which is still around today - many folks going back to it or bridging it with discord, matrix, and slack. But yeah when I think 'old online space" I always think of IRC <3 I have a slack channel going with 3-4 users which all of us who used to chat in the same IRC channel back in the early 2000s! We all finally met in New Zealand back in 2018 or so :grin:

Numberedpaws
Casual Poster

He/It - Gay little number

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: algebralien

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023 @16.63 »

One thing I used to love exploring was old MUCK/MUD type chats through telnet and such. Last I checked FurryMUCK was still active now. I haven't checked it in ages but I would just load onto it through an app (since I didn't quite understand the desktop setup)

All of it is done through your desktop terminal. It's just really old style rp and hangouts. You could decorate a room, create character profiles, create dungeons, and build worlds all through text and commands. Fun stuff.

Hello! Hi!
Memory
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023 @927.92 »

[removed by author]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2024 @626.75 by j » Logged
doomvega
Newbie ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023 @77.87 »

Howdy howdy!! I found someone's BBS through Cohost. It's hosted on Neocities too!!

Atlas, Vega, or Jupi
invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024 @7.94 »

Howdy howdy!! I found someone's BBS through Cohost. It's hosted on Neocities too!!

Thanks for that I found a new place I can live on besides Melon Land. Awesome! :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:  :goL:

moonunions
Casual Poster ⚓︎

ヽ(・∀・)ノ yippiiiieeee

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Still knowing about Clippy in 2024Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2024 @776.49 »

this is super interesting, thanks for all the info! :ozwomp:

tungl" border="0

please feed beefsteak, he hungers ➭ feed beefsteak!
Yaya

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024 @655.22 »

so far, i have:

• p2pc: a peer-to-peer instant messaging protocol
  • chat2me: an alternative to places like discord, where you chat with other folks through a centralized server
  • justtext (wip - this is what im currently working on :D): a web protocol inspired by the likes of spartan, gemini and gopher that serves the commonmark flavor of markdown documents

I'd be super interested in these! I always think how it would be great to have my own chat platform/server for me and my friends.
Memory
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024 @743.62 »

[removed by author]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2024 @652.87 by j » Logged
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2024 @703.21 »

I wasn't around to experience any of these, really, but I do fondly remember the Telnet ASCII art recreation of Star Wars that I used to watch in the Windows command prompt!

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

Misanthropic Monster™
Sr. Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Misanthropic
PicMix: BitterGoblin

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice!bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2024 @805.44 »

One thing I used to love exploring was old MUCK/MUD type chats through telnet and such. Last I checked FurryMUCK was still active now. I haven't checked it in ages but I would just load onto it through an app (since I didn't quite understand the desktop setup)

All of it is done through your desktop terminal. It's just really old style rp and hangouts. You could decorate a room, create character profiles, create dungeons, and build worlds all through text and commands. Fun stuff.

omg I was addicted to MUCKs and MUDs - specifically my first experience with anything like that was the Discworld MUD! I used to spend hours and hours playing in there, also Kingdom of Namir was another one. I loved stuff like that.

Ans The Napping Cat's Dream. Gosh, I miss the days of text based RP.

grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024 @724.41 »

Haha I used to love to like, write text based RP! Had a whole slew of forums I would trawl in the late summer nights in my teens, writing in roleplays. Ohh man, those were the days.
(But those pages are defunct)

I remember there was an old The Burbs (the movie) BBS? I think it was almost dead/defunct when I was looking at it, because there were forums when I started going online. Like EZboard, invisionboard? +++ all those.)

But I remember the BBS setup was kinda chaotic, yet understandable.

My uncle used to chat with people on IRC, just random folks he met online, and there was also another software - Powow maybe it was called? One of those super early 90s chatting programs that also allowed video calls. Cause I remember he used a webcam and it was mind blowing lol.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Weird/peculiar things you do when drawing

Started by DarmodejBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 15
Views: 3150
Last post September 09, 2023 @764.76
by bingus_baby
Weird/surreal 3d environment i made

Started by ellievoyydBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 2335
Last post September 22, 2022 @593.21
by SGTCharlynne
Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2685
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi