Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @520.35 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 21/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects
| | |-+  TextureTown - Free Textures!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TextureTown - Free Textures!  (Read 2408 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: March 17, 2022 @106.55 »

TextureTown

Id like to share my new website for sharing textures with everyone! Its an archive of MANY old 90s textures and patterns, it also has 3d sampler animations and a demo room you can test your textures in. Hopefully you find it useful!

Lets go to texture town! -> https://textures.neocities.org/

« Last Edit: March 17, 2022 @821.52 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022 @273.65 »

Nice collection! But isn't there copyright behind these images? Well yes, they are old and might be abandon ware but is there a risk of having someone take me down because I used a texture that hasn't been used in years by the copyright holder?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022 @280.06 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022 @576.45 »

Ah that's a fair question! So yes there is a degree of grey area; all the images here are from asset archives found on archive.org or other online sources, so they already exist out in the wild.

These are from asset/stock collections though, the original idea was that you would get a CD with textures on it, and you could freely use those textures in your projects; so they were intended to be used and included in projects.

Many of the CDs were handed out for free, some were included with software and others were sold; but of the ones that were sold, none are still available for sale and most of the companies that made them are gone, ADDITIONALLY most of these assets are too low res or low quality for modern games; I cant imagine a large AAA company using textures like this.

Long story short, these textures are really quite obsolete, but I think they are super cool. So this site is more like a personal project honoring them. Iv also resized and compressed most images, so if you want full res originals you'll have to go and get the original CDs, but for indie and web projects these lower res versions are perfect!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
di
Full Member ⚓︎

she/her

StatusCafe: dii

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022 @817.47 »

Oh hell yes!! :loved: Thank you Melon!!! I can see myself using this for some creative projects.

cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022 @226.20 »

i actually use texture town a lot now!! it's become my go-to :chill: i'm attaching a scene i made w/ some texture town treees

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023 @564.05 »

On some browsers, previewing the texture as the background doesn't work.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023 @618.11 »

On some browsers, previewing the texture as the background doesn't work.

Lemmy know what ones! I know on Safari it can be a bit ropy - but Id also say I tend to work on the 80% rule, if it works for 80% of people thats good enough for me :grin:

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023 @676.02 »

Lemmy know what ones! I know on Safari it can be a bit ropy - but Id also say I tend to work on the 80% rule, if it works for 80% of people thats good enough for me :grin:

It doesn't work on LibreWolf for me, the libre fork of Firefox. It blocks non-free Javascript, maybe that's the issue.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023 @694.16 »

Interesting, its definitly not an issue with non-free code; the background changer literally just changes the url of the css background image. My guess is that its doing some sort of power optimisation and not updating the background because its behind a transparent layer - power optimisation often messes with my unconventional web design, the people making browsers just don't expect it :tongue: Thanks for the report, I'll have a think about options!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023 @153.76 »

I did a major update to TextureTown today! :ozwomp: :ozwomp:

Added:
  • About 800 new textures
  • New Fractals category!
  • An API you can use to access textures from your sites and games
  • Texture of the Day feature!
  • Faster and more reliable texture loading (Based on /homes/ report! Thanks!)
  • Mastodon bot that uses the API to post the texture of the day! (@textures@toot.melonland.net)

Ooph another hard days work! Enjoy :grin:

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023 @644.14 »

Sweet, thanks so much for the updates! I've been playing around with some very simple low-poly 3d artwork lately, and I've been using Texture Town for most of the textures I need. I love it!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Ultimate Freeware List of Excellence

Started by ObspogonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 2221
Last post January 14, 2022 @865.94
by Obspogon
sleepyXTRA - Inside The Mind of The Lo-Fi Artist - released FREE!

Started by ellievoyydBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 0
Views: 1222
Last post January 21, 2022 @429.43
by ellievoyyd
Freeware music goodies!

Started by phodicaeBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 5
Views: 2104
Last post February 13, 2022 @285.71
by easy_breezy

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi