Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
May 01, 2024 - @401.70 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 61/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  old and abandoned websites

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: old and abandoned websites  (Read 393 times)
orb
« on: December 12, 2023 @959.39 »

sometimes i think about personal websites that are incredibly old, abandoned, and/or the creator died, and are either still up or archived on archive org.
an example of one i am thinking of is this website, an older woman who liked to do ascii art, and had other cool hobbies as well!! she is most likely deceased now... her website is a complete time capsule with its graphics and stuff (it was created in 2002 wow) and that is very interesting to me. also, she has her other friends that have web pages linked on her site too, which is also cool...
what are some cool websites YOU found that are abandoned, inactive, etc ? i would love to see especially if they are from decades ago, such as the example i showed.
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023 @991.74 »

There is a German site of a man, born 1950, who is deleting all his content piece for piece, and formulated his wish to take it totally down eventually. His last "reduction" dates to 2018.

I stumbled upon his page searching about information about the "high street", an 60km piece of an ancient trade-way that went between two rivers near my former home. This guy not only had a documentation about it in the 1940s online, but also walked it piece by piece and documented this.
I also researched the way and walked it on a weekend eventually; it was a great fun :D

The page with most of its content online is still on the archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20140111050246/http://michls.de/
The original page is nearly done for: http://michls.de/

malice
Casual Poster ⚓︎

take my darkest fears and play them like a lullaby

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023 @18.89 »

i've found a bunch of them, mostly music/evanescence related. here's a few that i find to be interesting to look through :3

Mike Sorge - Rock Royalty last updated: 2004
Prescence of the Fallen last updated: ~december 2003
Whisper last updated: july 2003
Amy Lee Goddess of Music last updated: june 2004
Evanescence: UnOfficial Site last updated: ~october 2006
Imaginary last updated: june 2007
Goddess of Imaginary Light last updated: march 2005
Amy-lee.net last updated: ~2005
[exodus]Evanescence this is hard to pinpoint, this seemed to turn into some weird forum/message board style thing at some point in 2006ish and the last post i found from that was 2011. the last time i could find it being a fansite was about 2005. fun fact: this is the oldest evanescence fansite, it used to be called "we're not goth" and it started in 1999 right after their first ep was released!

any/all + ev/eva ae/aer
oerrorpage
Casual Poster ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: oerrorpsades

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024 @769.51 »

de idiot of dis 4um
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024 @653.44 »

I've been thinking about how to find these old sites and there are loads of them still around. Some people have built specialized search engines to find them.

Geocities.ws and Oocities are archives of the old Geocities sites.

Old'aVista and The Old Net are search engines that searches multiple archives.

You can can also use search engines like Google or Bing to search for multiple old sites if they are still around. This is because you can use things like (site:site1.com OR site:site2.com OR site:site3.com) search-term(s) in them. For example (site:50megs.com OR site:tripod.com OR site:angelfire.com OR site:geocities.ws OR site:freeservers.com OR site:oocities.org OR site:oocities.com) pokemon

I've written more about these and other search engines
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Yesterweb Zine - Issue 02 - Websites as an Act of Creativity - OUT NOW!!

Started by sadnessBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 4
Views: 1501
Last post April 27, 2022 @745.66
by Dojidave
What do you use to code websites?

Started by neoratzBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 62
Views: 5348
Last post October 29, 2023 @752.06
by wetnoodle
HELP: songs in websites

Started by pancitoBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1125
Last post June 07, 2022 @544.83
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi