Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @936.17 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 61/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  This Is An Actual Website

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: This Is An Actual Website  (Read 742 times)
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« on: January 03, 2024 @908.08 »

Every so often I get the urge to share sites like "motherf***ingwebsite.com" and its successors with coworkers, but I refrain because the language is NSFW.

So I created my own manifesto website, but less Oedipal and without profanity.

It's called "This Is An Actual Website"

Feedback is welcome.

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024 @82.36 »

Cool website but i wanna see some funny examples of terrible javascripty websites, i think it would be hilarious.
Also how is this more of a website than other websites i've seen
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024 @91.01 by DiffydaDude » Logged

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024 @499.97 »

Cool website but i wanna see some funny examples of terrible javascripty websites, i think it would be hilarious.

I'm tempted, but "Actual Website" might not be the space for that. As I said, I wanted this to be suitable for sharing in professional spaces like my day job. That's why my language isn't as salty as I might usually use.

However, Namecheap lists a whole bunch of available TLDs for "actualwebshit"...

I could start by having a bit of fun with Josh W. Comeau's website. Dude uses React for a blog. I think that's overkill. Worse, if you open his website on a desktop browser, open the debugger, and reload the "network" tab you'll see that his site makes over a dozen requests for a file called "rising-pops.mp3". This is probably because he has multiple React components referencing this file, and each component seems to download it separately instead of letting the browser download it once and then just pulling from the browser's cache.

Admittedly, the file is less than 10kB, but if Comeau's this sloppy about little files, what other bad webdev habits does he have?

Also how is this more of a website than other websites i've seen

That's part of the joke, but it only really works if you're familiar with this Oedipal website, that Oedipal website, or this other Oedipal website. They all have a section entitled "This is a website. Look at it. You've never seen one before."

Also, I can't call it a "Motherfucking Website" if I want to share it at my day job. So I went with "This is an Actual Website" instead. Mainly because most of the schmucks I work with seem to think you can't make a website with only HTML and CSS served by Apache on a MEWNIX system.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024 @507.85 by starbreaker » Logged

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024 @918.72 »

Also, I can't call it a "Motherfucking Website" if I want to share it at my day job. So I went with "This is an Actual Website" instead. Mainly because most of the schmucks I work with seem to think you can't make a website with only HTML and CSS served by Apache on a MEWNIX system.

Depending on who you're working with, they'll probably just be asking "What the hell is a MEWNIX system?" Because that totally beats me lol. Gotta love geeky hackers with all that linuxing they do. shit's all greek to me lol

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024 @934.35 »

Because that totally beats me lol. Gotta love geeky hackers with all that linuxing they do. shit's all greek to me lol

It's a joke. I'll ruin it in the spoiler tags.

Spoiler
MEWNIX is an imaginary Linux distribution specifically for cats. It's a weak pun on UNIX (the operating system that inspired Minix, which in turn inspired Linux), which was in turn a weak pun on MULTICS.
[close]

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024 @941.49 »

It's a joke. I'll ruin it in the spoiler tags.

Spoiler
MEWNIX is an imaginary Linux distribution specifically for cats. It's a weak pun on UNIX (the operating system that inspired Minix, which in turn inspired Linux), which was in turn a weak pun on MULTICS.
[close]

How the hell would i have known that it was a joke, that sounds way too much like a legit thing

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024 @942.50 »

How the hell would i have known that it was a joke, that sounds way too much like a legit thing

Maybe if Bell Labs had cats, we would have gotten this instead of Plan 9.

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024 @944.04 »

Maybe if Bell Labs had cats, we would have gotten this instead of Plan 9.

Interesting website, i just bookmarked it :p
i like learning about old computers, ive found plenty of stuff about that online

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024 @441.92 »

The word needs to be spread as often as possible, but I can confirm that your site doesn't work on Mosaic. The "S" in HTTPS had yet to be implemented in 1993.

No satire either!

* mosaic.png (20.07 kB, 612x415 - viewed 31 times.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024 @446.57 by Gans » Logged
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024 @683.26 »

That's operator error; I could have sworn that I had remembered to disable to HTTP->HTTPS redirect.

(I figure that if somebody really wants HTTP, I really ought to let them, since I'm prone to singing "It's my funeral and I'll die if I want to.")

UPDATE: I just fixed it. Haven't been able to build mosaic-ck on my Devuan 5 machine; it gripes about "invalid use of incomplete typedef ‘png_info’ {aka ‘struct png_info_def’}" and I can't be bothered to debug it right now.

screenshot of actualwebsite.org in an emulated NCSA Mosaic 3

I tried Mosaic 2 first, but that version doesn't support the <style> element.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024 @718.15 by starbreaker » Logged

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024 @617.78 »

Confirmed, running Mosaic-CK on Salix 14.2 displays your page now. HTTP everywhere, please. At least as an option for the stoneagers who drive without ABS and ESP.

Chrome becoming too dominating might fall on our feet sooner or later. The peak of this monopoly isn't reached yet. Poor chap, Moonchild (developer of Pale Moon), having to make a cut somewhere, having to conclude that certain sites "will only work in Chrome". Will the clear cut between WWW and GGG (google governed goo) be made soon? Who knows...

Your text shows, that there are many different approaches on the current web. Some like HTML5, some use CSS and Javascript, some will go without. All in all, having a nice base which runs everywhere would be nice. That golden standard is the text-browser Lynx in my opinon. As you stated in similar words, if the website looks good in Lynx, it will look good everywhere.

I put your site on the Wiby crawler (https://wiby.me/submit/). Might inspire someone.

* lynx.png (14.94 kB, 667x385 - viewed 27 times.)
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024 @748.68 »

Confirmed, running Mosaic-CK on Salix 14.2 displays your page now. HTTP everywhere, please. At least as an option for the stoneagers who drive without ABS and ESP.

You might agree with the points Bradley Taunt makes on this page at 1mb.club. Also, how are you liking Salix? I've run Slackware before, and just noticed that Salix has caught up with Slackware 15.

Chrome becoming too dominating might fall on our feet sooner or later. The peak of this monopoly isn't reached yet. Poor chap, Moonchild (developer of Pale Moon), having to make a cut somewhere, having to conclude that certain sites "will only work in Chrome". Will the clear cut between WWW and GGG (google governed goo) be made soon? Who knows...

Well, Google is already drawing antitrust scrutiny from EU regulators, and now the US government is getting in on the fun. (Finally!) Maybe a long-overdue crackdown will happen.

Your text shows, that there are many different approaches on the current web. Some like HTML5, some use CSS and Javascript, some will go without. All in all, having a nice base which runs everywhere would be nice. That golden standard is the text-browser Lynx in my opinon. As you stated in similar words, if the website looks good in Lynx, it will look good everywhere.

Yeah, that's all I'm asking. Use whatever you want, as long as it's appropriate to what you're trying to do, and make sure it doesn't just work in the most recent and most popular browsers. The Web is for everybody, or else WTF is the point of having it?

I put your site on the Wiby crawler (https://wiby.me/submit/). Might inspire someone.

Thanks!

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024 @605.32 »

Also, how are you liking Salix? I've run Slackware before, and just noticed that Salix has caught up with Slackware 15.

Off Topic: Made some little notes here in the OS thread about the Salix experience:
https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=1697.msg16138#msg16138
All I can say is that the previous versions 14.1 and 14.2 are excellent. I learned a lot through them. They are very stable (which can't be said for all those new desktop experiments Linux has to go though now).
If you as a Slackware user are looking to shift down a gear (Salix' goal is to make things more straight forward), you might want to give  Salix a try. The current version though didn't convince me to use it for the "scrap machines". Xfce and probably many other internals just got too big.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024 @607.09 by Gans » Logged
devils

Oh? What's that?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024 @625.66 »

Good stuff. I personally don't like the Motherfucking Website «series» because of its overly aggressive language either.

I like that you give tips for creating websites rather than talk down and insult those who never thought about or don't even know about these things. I think far too many manifestos that talk about accessibility or how websites should be seem to have a stuck-up webmaster that feels superior because their website is responsive...

Anyways, I learned a few things from this write-up, so thank you! Gonna test my website on Lynx now :ha:

Remember to eat dessert <3
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5449
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
Website example page

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1863
Last post December 16, 2021 @285.10
by cinni
Website status (Check replies for part 2)

Started by Icey!Board ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 8
Views: 2078
Last post December 26, 2021 @841.50
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi