Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @200.05 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 67/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | |-+  LOSTWAVE

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LOSTWAVE  (Read 184 times)
cursedcalendar
Casual Poster

chirp chirp motherfuckers

View Profile

Joined 2023!
« on: January 13, 2024 @749.32 »

Hello!!

Upon searching for the term "lostwave" on this site reveals next to no results.

So I've decided to make the executive decision to bring the magic of lostwave to MelonLand!!

:ozwomp:  But What is Lostwave??  :ozwomp:

I feel like the best description for lostwave would be "the opposite of lost music." In the case of lost music, we have the information surrounding the song, but not the song itself. But with lostwave, we have the song itself, but all of the info surrounding it is a mystery.

Lostwave songs are also sometimes called "mysterious songs", by the way.

LW isn't really a genre per se, as a genre usually describes the style of a song, not what's known about it. However I don't really care if you call it a genre lol

:ozwomp:  THE LIST  :ozwomp:

Anyways, now going to list some of my favorite lostwave songs!!

Here's the format I'll be using:

Community-Given Name(s)
Status (Unknown, Solved)
Actual Name (if applicable)
Artist Name (if applicable)
Runtime of Longest Sample
Original Poster
Year of Discovery
Link

Note: These notes will be accurate as of January 13th, 2024. If one of these songs get found, I will not update this!

So without further ado, let's move on to the list!

Like The Wind / Blind The Wind / Check it In, Check it Out / The Most Mysterious Song on the Internet
Unknown
N/A
N/A
2 minutes, 55 seconds
Darius and Lydia (u/bluuely)
1983-1984
YouTube Upload

Let me set the stage for you.

Germany, Early 1980s.

A man by the name of Darius is creating a mixtape. Like many in the pre-streaming era, he uses a tape deck and a radio to record songs onto cassette.

His current project, simply called "cassette 4", is being recorded onto a BASF Chromdioxid II 90 tape.

He tunes in to a radio station known as NDR 1. This was one of his go-to stations, as they would run a program called Musik für junge Leute (“Music for Young People”), which would play music that he enjoyed.

But on this day in particular, the radio waves revealed a song he had never heard before.

The sounds of a guitar blared through the speakers, playing a distinct and catchy melody. It bore resemblance to other songs from that era, specifically those in the "new wave" genre. However, unlike the synth music that was beginning to become popular at the time, the instruments were clearly authentic.

Darius enjoyed the song, so he decided to record it onto the tape.

And thus, one of the only known recordings of Like The Wind was born.

Fast forward to 2007.

Lydia, Darius' sister, decides to post a snippet of the song to the Usenet group de.rec.musik.recherche, and then later on spiritofradio.ca and best-of-80s.de. Nobody was able to identify it.

As the song began to gain traction, eventually making it to YouTube in the year 2011. Despite this, however, this is where we stand today.

The only known thing about this song is one of the only synths used, the Yamaha DX7.

フライアウェイ (Fly Away)
Unknown
N/A
N/A
3 minutes, 40 seconds
渡る世間は敵ばかり
~1990
YouTube Upload

Tokyo, Japan. Circa 1990.

Our OP comes home with a new lot of cassette tapes after a trip to a thrift store in Akihabara. All of these tapes were sold-as-blank, meaning that they were originally sold blank, but were then recorded over by a third party. This wasn't a problem for them, however, as most of the tapes had the song's names written on them.

However, one of the tapes was completely blank, apart from something in the bottom left-hand corner that was scribbled out.

On this tape was a song, similar to idol music. However, the lyrics were dark, and had depressing implications. So much so, that many consider the song to be cursed in some way.

This, much like cassette 4 in the previous example, was the only known recording of this song.

Over the years, more advances have been made to the search.

Using higher quality images of the tape, the community was able to determine that the thing that was scribbled out was a company logo.

I've tried to do research on this, but I haven't been able to find any trace of a company called "ARA".

But through this, the community was able to find another tape with the same logo.

This is all the definite information that I've been able to find on this mystery so far.

Sunshine Day
Solved
Sunshine Day
Ray Rice
3 minutes, 26 seconds
Callie CD Archive
YouTube Upload

Let's end off with one that's been solved.

In 2022, our OP was searching through her basement. In this search, she finds a disk labelled "X'S DOCS 6/20/06" ("X" is replacing the name of a family member.)

As expected, the disk is a DVD backup of this relative's computer from 2006. Pretty unremarkable on the surface.

However, in a folder called "From Internet" was a file named "sunshine_day - Jul 23, 2005 16.59.26.wma" This, as expected, was a song.

She tried to use Shazam on the song. No result. She tried again. Nothing.

So she decides to upload the song to YouTube.

The search lasted until May 9th 2023, when discord user marktrail discovered a ReverbNation page with the song, its artist labelled as Ray Rice. After the OP talked with the artist via Facebook DM, it was confirmed that he was, in fact, the creator of the song.

Now, you're probably wondering how I know so much about this.

Look at this song's OP again.

That's right.

I AM OP!!!!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:ozwomp:  CONCLUSION  :ozwomp:

so yeah i hope you guys enjoyed this post!! put a lot of work into it lol

if you want me to make more posts like this, lemme know!

cya!  :smile:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

any lostwave fans in the chat

Started by cursedcalendarBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 3
Views: 372
Last post February 25, 2024 @90.52
by thesolitarygamer

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi